kef speakers.

I have extensively auditioned IQ5 (not SE) and IQ9, both floorstanders. Sound from both FS were laidback and warm, never sounding harsh, brittle, or forward.

The smaller IQ5 is enough if you have a small room, say a typical squarish kind, and these iq5 don't have problem filling such room.

But, the bigger brother IQ9 needs more room to breate and they were very good indeed. Two important sound characteristics that would strike you when listening to IQ9 would be vocals and treble, they were spot on.

Bass in both speakers are tight and articulate, right amount for music - loss of deep bass in both.

A brighter sounding AVR or int. amp would suit all the KEF speakers in general.

I have extensively auditioned IQ5 (not SE) and IQ9, both floorstanders. Sound from both FS were laidback and warm, never sounding harsh, brittle, or forward.

The smaller IQ5 is enough if you have a small room, say a typical squarish kind, and these iq5 don't have problem filling such room.

But, the bigger brother IQ9 needs more room to breate and they were very good indeed. Two important sound characteristics that would strike you when listening to IQ9 would be vocals and treble, they were spot on.

Bass in both speakers are tight and articulate, right amount for music - loss of deep bass in both.

A brighter sounding AVR or int. amp would suit all the KEF speakers in general.

Hi Vinod

If you have noticed my thread on amp upgrade - I am looking for upgrade of Cyrus 6vs 2 amp (40 wpch) for a more power full one . Alternatively I can go
for high sensitive 90 dB + speaker to replace my B&W685. Issue is amp going to protection mode at 11 o clock. Thus I am also interested in Kef IQ70 and 90 ( specification have been changed from 7 ,9 I believe ) since both are 90 dB+ and available in kolkata . Do you have any suggestion on the combo-Cyrus and Kef . What Hi fi feed back is not good on Kef 70, 90. For Deep bass would a sub be preffered ( if required at all )?

Hi Vinod

If you have noticed my thread on amp upgrade - I am looking for upgrade of Cyrus 6vs 2 amp (40 wpch) for a more power full one . Alternatively I can go
for high sensitive 90 dB + speaker to replace my B&W685. Issue is amp going to protection mode at 11 o clock. Thus I am also interested in Kef IQ70 and 90 ( specification have been changed from 7 ,9 I believe ) since both are 90 dB+ and available in kolkata . Do you have any suggestion on the combo-Cyrus and Kef . What Hi fi feed back is not good on Kef 70, 90. For Deep bass would a sub be preffered ( if required at all )?

Hi Pratim:

For your Cyrus 6vs, I think IQ9 would suit aptly. I also believe that the little forwardness in the Cyrus might be tamed by the warmth of the KEF, so i think you have a right combination here - i've never heard KEF + Cyrus. Having said that, I would strongly urge you to take your Cyrus to ProFx and have a demo (a guy named Srikant will be there, he was transfered from Chennai actually, nice chap).

Now, coming to bass, i felt bass from IQ9 was tight and tuneful for stereo music, you might love it. But, if you want deeper bass, yes you can add a sub, but I wouldn't recommend a sub for a FS like IQ9 which reproduced 2-channel music beautifully.

Thanks Vinod

I have made appointment with Srikant ( you are right -very nice ) and going today with my Cyrus for audition.

I will post u and Manu about the feed back .

As Pratim is on demo as we speak..I want to bring forth moments that I underwent while selecting my FS. While auditioning for my FS a year back, listened to IQ9 with Denon PMA 1500AE, a combo i listened among various other FS including MA RS6 (my current FS).

RS6 and IQ9 made the final list for speakers, but couldn't compare it side by side as 2 different dealers sold them. IQ9 is so good across the spectrum but couldn't hold the ground to RS6, especially in deep bass department (not boomy), and RS6 added some sparkle to overall SQ, which IQ9 failed. But, if you didn't hear RS6 and you hear only IQ9, you will decide your speakers then and there - it's that good.

Vocals were to die for in both RS6 and IQ9 and treble little sparkling in RS6. Very hard to find fault in both. Just my observation. What Pratim thinks, lets wait and watch.

Manu I have heard it and I can definitely say that its not for you, too laid back for your taste since we all know by now you are the official bass head here :D

I have only heard the IQ5 not sure about the more expensive ones and they do have some really expensive speakers in there range as well the entry level IQ series is quite laid back and is not for everyone.

Vinod had put it very well the characteristics of the KEf but I would think the MA RS series or the Klipsch is more for you Manu.

Manu I have heard it and I can definitely say that its not for you, too laid back for your taste since we all know by now you are the official bass head here :D

I have only heard the IQ5 not sure about the more expensive ones and they do have some really expensive speakers in there range as well the entry level IQ series is quite laid back and is not for everyone.

Vinod had put it very well the characteristics of the KEf but I would think the MA RS series or the Klipsch is more for you Manu.

thanks brother

Why not Cerwin-Vega? You can try the CLS-215. With their sensitivity, your amp can easily drive them to serious levels.

CLS215_Lg.jpg

The listed dealer is -
Rivera International
397A-1B, Mangaldas House, Naaz Cinema Compound, Lamington Road,
Mumbai - 4, India.
Tel: 91 22 23800555
email: [email protected]

Cheers.

Hi

I had the demo in the afternoon with IQ70 . The vocal was excellent. Bass is very good but with little boom some times. It was also playing nice with my cyrus. However my problem remains same . The amp went into protection mode here also at 11 or 12 o clock. Thus extra sensitivity did not work. However at a given level it was louder .Thus I am not going with Kef . I have the solution that I have mentioned in my thread.:)

We ( cranky was with me ) heard Focal also . Kef was better.

Enjoy hunting more.

ive audined the IQ3 and the IQ10 a bit
i have a bit contradicting view from vinod though

maybe these were bookshelves and hence the feeling

both the bookshelves had the uni(something) tweeter
i found them quite detailed.really nice mids and involving vocals too.
i would say at times and in certain songs i found the IQ3 was better sounding than my PSB choice
however i didnt buy only because of the slightly less bass that the PSB gave me.

i would not classify these as laid back.
i wouldclassify themas lively,just right
and so i would advice a laid back amp like the denon(which they are sold with) or a NAD but not a marantz

but as i said this viewpoint is contradicting from vinod, maybe because the speakers are diff

Denons are bright. Nad and Marantz are laid back amps.

are you sure that denon is bright and Marantz is laid back. Maybe the definition of bright and laid back have changed over the last few days :lol:

Anyway jokes apart - within itself - denon is laid back, Marantz is transparent yet slightly forward, nad is warm but pushes/emphasizes bass, CA is neutral and so on.

Obviously speakers themselves have a role to play in the final output - but on paper that is how the amps are actually.

are you sure that denon is bright and Marantz is laid back. Maybe the definition of bright and laid back have changed over the last few days :lol:

Anyway jokes apart - within itself - denon is laid back, Marantz is transparent yet slightly forward, nad is warm but pushes/emphasizes bass, CA is neutral and so on.

Obviously speakers themselves have a role to play in the final output - but on paper that is how the amps are actually.

I have owned Denon,NAD and compared Denon with Marantz side by side with the same set of speakers and source. And found Denon to be bright(atleast not laidback), Marantz and NAD had a laidback sound. I've paired Denon with Kef iQ5 which will make your ear bleed sometimes:mad:. I've tried my speakers with Marantz as well as NAD and found marantz and nad had warm and laidback sound. You shall also see some post very often like Nad vs Marantz. It obviously means that both these brands are in the same league and cannot sort out which one to go for. If Marantz is really forward then such comparison thread will not arise very often. Got it. And yup the definition of bright and laid back have changed since your post:eek:hyeah:. Try before you recommend.

Last edited:
madhurshankar
hmm you consider denons bright. thats interesting
can you name another amp that you find bright?

ALso which denon did you have?

madhurshankar
hmm you consider denons bright. thats interesting
can you name another amp that you find bright?

ALso which denon did you have?

I meant Denon 1907. Also heard Denon 4308 they were also bright. Other amps those i found bright were yammy, Onkyo,some pioneer series. I found my speakers sounding slightly forward and thin with Denon and later replaced them with NAD and found it really warm and very ideal for my Kef's. There is no wonder people claiming Denon as warm amp. There is a probability of one classifying an 'X' equipment to be bright and the same 'X' equipment shall be detail and crisp to the other. Afterall sound is very subjective. BTW above comparisons are my personal opinion.

Last edited:
I There is a probability of one classifying an 'X' equipment to be bright and the same 'X' equipment shall be detail and crisp to the other. Afterall sound is very subjective. BTW above comparisons are my personal opinion.

thats exactly why i asked you which other amps you considered bright.

what supra cranky and me are referring to are integrated amps from denon like the PMA series.
it would not be wise to compare a denon AVR SQ with a NAD integrated

thats exactly why i asked you which other amps you considered bright.

what supra cranky and me are referring to are integrated amps from denon like the PMA series.
it would not be wise to compare a denon AVR SQ with a NAD integrated

Ok fine but my comparison was with Denon AVR vs NAD AVR vs Marantz AVR(Sorry i should have mentioned this). I am not used to integrated of these brands. I am planning for a stereo system seperately from the scratch may be i'll get a new perspective on these brands if i hear some of their integrated or pre/power. KEF really rocks and will be retained for my HT. Thanks.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back