Kenwood Ka405

ashar

Acquired this Amp recently from a mumbai based guy who had posted it on olx .
Luckily the deal went through v well and the got the amp in a v good shape and state.153991472671322.jpg 153991472671322.jpg1539914727128214.jpg1539914725970390.jpg1539915247782679.jpg1539915247438881.jpg1539915246979334.jpg153991524646391.jpg

Attachments

• 1539915248229861.jpg
    1539915248229861.jpg
    232.2 KB · Views: 8
Yes its in a great condition , as this is season time in my company so not getting extra time , will do the cosmetic treatment soon

I have a Kenwood KA 7300 and sold the KA 701.

Kenwood makes very musical amps with beautiful midrange and big bass slam but a bit rolled off in treble.

You look like a DIY guy and with some tube fancies too......

do post pictures of your amps for viewing pleasures .
Thankyou

Deoxit D5 comes with a solvent that provides flushing action, the D100 is better if there is a lot of oxidation to remove.
The products are costly but are really worth it.
I use Deoxit Gold to clean certain Vintage Amplifier's RCA jacks, they do the job pretty well.

Deoxit should be used on the Knobs/Swtiches, the potentimeters need to be removed from PCB and taken apart if possible to get the job done.
Do no spray deoxit all over the board.

Regarding the cleaning of PCB's with IPA is something i usually don't recommend.
Some PCB's the bottom of them is coated with a layer that prevents oxidation/rust from forming on the PCB over a period of time.
Using IPA will remove the protective coating.

The reason i tell to remove the potentiometer completely is because no amount of dexoit will help remove the dirt inside them completely .
And sometimes the dirt that loosens up will damage the resistive layer.
Attached are pictures of a vintage pot which i had worked on yesterday.
The vintage potentiometers are tough to find, and once damaged it will render them useless, tread carefully on these.
IMG_20181204_230805.jpg

IMG_20181204_232925.jpg

Last edited:
Deoxit D5 comes with a solvent that provides flushing action, the D100 is better if there is a lot of oxidation to remove.
The products are costly but are really worth it.
I use Deoxit Gold to clean certain Vintage Amplifier's RCA jacks, they do the job pretty well.

Deoxit should be used on the Knobs/Swtiches, the potentimeters need to be removed from PCB and taken apart if possible to get the job done.
Do no spray deoxit all over the board.

Regarding the cleaning of PCB's with IPA is something i usually don't recommend.
Some PCB's the bottom of them is coated with a layer that prevents oxidation/rust from forming on the PCB over a period of time.
Using IPA will remove the protective coating.

The reason i tell to remove the potentiometer completely is because no amount of dexoit will help remove the dirt inside them completely .
And sometimes the dirt that loosens up will damage the resistive layer.
Attached are pictures of a vintage pot which i had worked on yesterday.
The vintage potentiometers are tough to find, and once damaged it will render them useless, tread carefully on these.
View attachment 32247

View attachment 32248
Sir, can you please post a step by step method for cleaning vintage pots. Photos would also be welcome. Do you use fader grease after cleaning for lubrication and to prevent future oxidisation.

Sir, can you please post a step by step method for cleaning vintage pots. Photos would also be welcome. Do you use fader grease after cleaning for lubrication and to prevent future oxidisation.
I use Deoxit F100, for lubrication after cleaning the potentiometer completely.
In some of the potentiometers the shaft especially is locked with a locking nut and it is impossible to remove the locking nut unless you damange the nut and replace it with a new one. This locking nut is common in certain alps potentiometers from their black beauty series.
Whereas some are easy to remove, if you look at my previous post in this same thread i have dismantled a potentiometer that was made in the 80's.
You need to have techincal expertise to re-move the PCB boards and their power and signal path wiring to get the PCB out.
And then desolder the potentiometer from the PCB.
Next you could start with the cleaning process, this is not something which is easy for a common man.

Alas, I am in Delhi otherwise i would have interned under your guidance. I have a weakness for vintage amps and always looking out for such tips and techs who can restore them.

Hell Ashar bro ...

Even i own KA 405 amplifier (along with the radio forgot the model) .

I recently got it serviced from my friend in delhi & almsot all the caps & resistors are changed .

I now to upgrate the op amps as well you have any idea what is currently installed as standarad .

Though i haven't plugged in yet after service.

Back