Kenwood KD-37R

mbhangui

I was always fond of of Vinyl music. But it has been more than 30 years since I heard music from a LP. After joining this forum, I got a strong urge to get a turntable. Finally I bit the bullet yesterday and searched olx.in and zeroed on Kenwood KD-37R turntable. I also placed order for 4 LP on flipkard - Pakeezah, Kabhi Kabhi, Mughal-e-Azam and Legend - Best of Bob Marley.

I just see that the turntable has a cartridge with AT20 written on it. I guess this is from Audio Technica. What options do i have to upgrade this turntable?

I am chennai currently and will be relocating to Pune next year. I guess I will have better options to get better 2nd hand turntable in Pune / Mumbai. My budget is 20 K for another turntable. Which one should I buy?

The turntable has just reached. I am in the process of connecting it to my Yamaha 767 receiver phono input. Just got an SMS from flipkart that two of the LP are out for delivery. Now the wait begins :yahoo:

EDIT: I find something like a carom board coin with a hole in the middle. It is removable and I can't figure out what it is used for. This is at the top left edge of the turntable as in the diagram below

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Kenwood-Turntable-/180740408330#ht_580wt_1348

Last edited:
Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of vinyl!!

Your Kenwood TT purchase is pretty good for a start. The audio technica AT20 cartridge is also pretty decent, but it would be interesting to note the condition of the stylus (please check this before playing your new LPs)

Now to the carrom coin :) in the early days, one could get records (mostly 7inch 45 rpm records) with a big centre hole which was normally for playback on portable kids record players. What you call the carrom coin is an adaptor for you to play such records on your turntable. Interesting reading: What is the name of the small plastic disc inserted into the center of a 45 reco...

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of vinyl!!

Your Kenwood TT purchase is pretty good for a start. The audio technica AT20 cartridge is also pretty decent, but it would be interesting to note the condition of the stylus (please check this before playing your new LPs)
[/url]

How does one check the condition of the stylus?

I am just listening to Kabhi Kabhi. Pure Bliss. I feel like throwing all my MP3.

How does one check the condition of the stylus?

I am just listening to Kabhi Kabhi. Pure Bliss. I feel like throwing all my MP3.

For starters, you can examine the condition of the tip using a regular magnifying glass. Your tip should not look flattened or clogged with dust. However, symptoms of a worn stylus would show up when you listen. The music will start sounding distorted, especially as you listen to tracks, closer to the inside of the LP. Also you're TT's arm would start displaying tracking problems liking skating (sliding across the LP) and skipping. Kindly note that skating and skipping can also occur if you have a clogged stylus (the stylus will pick up minute dust particles from the LP as it plays) and hence it is also important that you keep your LPs clean and tidy.

Once again, welcome to the world of vinyl...

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back