Kenwood LS-N550 Speakers & Sherwood Receiver

coolcat

Hi All,

This is my first question to you all. I have a pair of old Kenwood speakers with me (LS-N550). I am planning to buy a Sherwood 2.1 receiver from US in November (Model - RX-4503) ($123)

Sherwood 200W 2.1Ch. Stereo Receiver RX-4503 - Best Buy

Can I use the Kenwood speakers with this receiver?

Speakers - 6 ohms
Receiver - 8 ohms

I can surely buy new speakers but if this works, I will save a little bit.

Also, if someone is using this receiver, Could you please quickly review the performance. I am not in mood for spending a lot and that's why I have selected this receiver.

Thanks in advance for your help.
CC

Hi All,
Can I use the Kenwood speakers with this receiver?
Speakers - 6 ohms
Receiver - 8 ohms
Thanks in advance for your help.
CC

The Sherwood could overpower the speakers. The amp rated at 100W/ch at 8ohms will drag out more power at 6 ohms. If the amp is not rated to be loaded under 8 ohms then it would clip at 6 ohms is forcefully driven at max load and also get overheated. Speakers will eventually get damaged in a long run. But if you play at moderate levels, say 60% of power max, then they can take the load . These Kenwood speakers are not meant to be driven by a full fledged dedicated AV receiver. Were designed as a part of a compact music system RXD550.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer SIDEWINDER18X. How about Cambridge Audio S30 speakers. Are these worth buying with the Sherwood receiver? These speakers work on max 100 watts at 8 ohms.

What will be the bass depth if i use only these speakers and not a sub-woofer?

Thanks for the answer SIDEWINDER18X. How about Cambridge Audio S30 speakers. Are these worth buying with the Sherwood receiver? These speakers work on max 100 watts at 8 ohms.

What will be the bass depth if i use only these speakers and not a sub-woofer?

Nope, these boxes with out subs are incomplete. As bookshelves, they are built for a purpose. And they might live up to the expectations. But these cannot go low. Not designed to do so. Adding a sub will complete the spectrum. If you desire to buy them get their sub S90 along with it.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back