Khadas Board.

tuff

Any one got this? used it? impressions? Group buy ideas?

I'm very keen to know more about this product. I've been following the development of the Allo Katana but there seems to be hiccups. What makes the Khadas Tone Board quite attractive is the fact that users on a forum have reported that using a linear power supply in place of the supplied wallwart doesn't result in improved sound. Contrasting this to Allo Katana where four separate power supplies are recommended for best sound, the Khadas folks seems to have licked the problem of power supply (not to speak of the cost difference of one versus four supplies).

Edit:
To add: both Allo Katana and Khadas Tone Board use the same ESS ES9038Q2M DAC chip. Khadas Tone Board can work as a standalone DAC even without a Khadas VIM. More info here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The generic version is a DAC only. Tone board is what they call it. It has measurements better than anything out there https://www.khadas.com/tone
So can be plugged into any USB source and it should work. No special drivers needed either. Looks like VFM if one can build a case or something so its not out and naked attracting dust.

The generic version is a DAC only. Tone board is what they call it. It has measurements better than anything out there https://www.khadas.com/tone
So can be plugged into any USB source and it should work. No special drivers needed either. Looks like VFM if one can build a case or something so its not out and naked attracting dust.
Audiophonics has a case for it which i think they ship to India. Planning to order one for myself before the chinese new year offer expires :)

I'm very keen to know more about this product. I've been following the development of the Allo Katana but there seems to be hiccups. What makes the Khadas Tone Board quite attractive is the fact that users on a forum have reported that using a linear power supply in place of the supplied wallwart doesn't result in improved sound. Contrasting this to Allo Katana where four separate power supplies are recommended for best sound, the Khadas folks seems to have licked the problem of power supply (not to speak of the cost difference of one versus four supplies).
I think 4 power sources was with first Katana, they have recalled them and replaced with the latest or v2 model. The latest one has recommended power sources as two even though one can use 3 power sources. Allo recommends using only two. I am waiting for someone to compare Katana and toneboard. The most interesting part of toneboard is what you mentioned, that no impact of power source on sound. Price is the another attractive part along with it being standalone dac accepting USB and spdif. Having experienced Allo products, wouldn't underplay katana but given its price waiting for someone to do comparison :)

Got mine few days back.

The box:

Powered up:

I initially used the stock USB type C to type A cable. Not too happy with the sound of the stock cable, I made an adapter that accepts type B plug at one end, and the other end being a type C plug the goes into the Khadas Tone Board.

Adapter being made:

Finished with multiple layers of heat shrink to give it mechanical strength:

Initial impressions: ...are good, on both USB and coax. Will update as it gains more hours.

Errata: in post#2 I mentioned "supplied wall wart". There is no supplied wall wart. It is powered by the host computer via the USB type C port. It is possible to give it external power supply via the 40-pin header pins 1 and 21 but I haven't gone in that direction (yet).

I had a brief listen comparing it directly with my burson DAC
I won't hide that I did not have that too high hopes from the khadas but it surely made me sit up and notice the sound it produced

In short , there was not too much too chose between khadas and burson.
That's quiet a feat considering that kahdas has none of the elaborate PSU which the burson has

The khadas too was almost brand new

But yes once the adapter was made and we could use the regular USB cables we got to know the true nature of the dac

For me the type C USB input is a big minus as it restricts use of the type a to B USB cable used with all other dacs

For me the type C USB input is a big minus as it restricts use of the type a to B USB cable used with all other dacs

This is interesting! Did not know that type of USB cable had an effect on sound quality.

This is interesting! Did not know that type of USB cable had an effect on sound quality.

Hi Nikhil
You got me wrong :)

Usually what we use for dacs is type a to type b, right?

Now this khadas has a type c input. So what you will need is a type A to type C cable

And in that type of cable you won't get anything which is made for hifi

Errata: in post#2 I mentioned "supplied wall wart". There is no supplied wall wart. It is powered by the host computer via the USB type C port. It is possible to give it external power supply via the 40-pin header pins 1 and 21 but I haven't gone in that direction (yet).
I guess if we use spdf input,then we can plug good external 5v powersupply/adaptor via usb.

There are other ways to do it.
From the GPIO pins you can feed data and power separately
But many have on the khadas forum have tried it and say there is no difference in sound when powered by a LPS

The DAC is a Super Move ! However would like to point out the following:

1. The measurements shown in the link are those made by ESS for their chip. They are Not measurements of the Chip on the Khaddas board neither are they for the completed Khadas unit.

2. The ESS Chip used is that of a MOBILE Phone...

Do correct me if I am wrong

Just checked khadas site. They have released a second version of tone board called Tone 2 pro, with case and includes a headphone amplifier. They also have removed the ESS hump as well. It looks like a good package.

I am using the version 1 since a year and love it (if anyone built a case please share details). Compared to my old Aune T1 Tube DAC it has much better bass response. It might sound a little cleaner in mids and highs but I couldn't be certain. As @matazooma mentioned it might be worthwhile to go for version 2 as it includes case and headphone amp.

EDIT: I am using the USB input not SPDIF (supposed to sound even better); my PC doesn't have an SPDIF header and I am too lazy to solder one :D. But after seeing @jls001 's response I might do it over the weeked....

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back