Klipsch From USA, Voltage Hz converter help needed

sach

Hello HiFiVision,

Thank you for having me aboard with the sign up and my first post on here. The problem that brings me here is as under.

PROBLEM IN A GIST:

I GOT A 2.1 MULTIMEDIA SYSTEM FROM USA AND THAT REFUSES TO NOT HEAT UP WITH A VOLTAGE CONVERTER AS IT USES 60HZ WITH 110 WATTS, WHILE WE USE 50HZ WITH 220WATTS. THE VOLTAGE CONVERTER HELPS CONVERT THE WATTS BUT NOT THE HZ. THIS IS CAUSING THE SUBWOOFER TO GET ABNORMABLY HOT AND A SAFETY HAZARD. PLEASE HELP!! THANK YOU...

In detail (pretty much the same as above)

I got Klipsch Promedia 2.1 wireless from the US and have been facing a problem with it getting too heated. Obviously I used a voltage converter to take care of the 110watts need but the voltage converter doesn't take care of its 60Hz need. From the little study I did, it appears that I would have to use a step down converter. (not sure if I got that right, keeping aside the term "step down converter" itself)

Some local technician (if I may call him so) suggested that it'll all be taken care of it I get rewinding done on the transformer. I got that done which eliminated the use of the voltage converter but now the issue is that my system still needs a 60Hz feed and here in India the electricity is providing 220watts and 50Hz.

I went to the Klipsch forum and they suggested a bunch of things and were quite helpful but the local technicians don't know much. In the meantime I've been using the fan to cool off the subwoofer to keep it from getting too hot.

What could I do?

As far as I know, there is no way to convert frequency using transformers directly. Stepdown transformers can convert only voltage not frequency. You can try to build a custom online sinewave UPS with 110V output and 60Hz. But this will blow a hole in your pocket.

Hi Sachin,
I've gone through your thread on the klipsch forum, and was worried about the same issue before getting the promedias. Luckily, at least for me, I've faced no overheating issues so far. I'm using a step down isolation transformer. Please refer to http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge...10v-step-down-transformer-av-receivers-5.html. I had brought up your problem, and as someone said, the 10 Hz difference might not be the culprit in your case. The fact that you had plugged it into a 220V socket might have done more damage than meets the eye. Whether you use an external step down transformer or alter your amp's internal transformer, it would only take care of the voltage. There is nothing readily available that would convert the frequency to 60 Hz. And even if you do, the problem might lie elsewhere. You need to investigate what is it that is causing the overheating. I don't have any insight regarding that, but others might be able to help you get further in your diagnosis.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back