Kodi for audio playback

bobbyprajan

Anybody using Kodi for audio playback ? How is it compared to Moode, Volumio etc ?

I saw plugins are available for spotify etc, how stable are they ?

What are you using it on? Rpi/Windows?

Moode & Spotify is the most stable on Rpi - in my little experience. Everything just works.

Kodi has issues with Spotify plugin - but I have tried it on windows machines.

Thanks!

I had tried a few years ago while while choosing between various options ie mpd + clients, volumio, kodi and JRiver.

Library management was good, plugins are available (many are unofficial/third party) and there are a couple of good Android remotes as well.

I finally did not go ahead due to 1) subjective comparison of sound 2) I could not figure out any way of tweaking settings to ensure bit perfect output, which was easy with the others mentioned above

Anybody using Kodi for audio playback ? How is it compared to Moode, Volumio etc ?

Volumio used to be my go to when on pi. Spotify, apple music worked great on it.

Kodi I used to use more as a HT source.

MaSh

Kodi is a feature full application for movies and videos. It is a comprehensive mediacentre. I use kodi for playing my video library and management of the same. It has huge number of options, plugins, remotes. The library management, getting album art, subtitles are very good. But the program is huge and it has been written more towards rendering of the video rather than sound processing. Because the program is huge, does too many things, I suspect it would impact latency. The sampling rate is kind of fixed (it is upto you). Like Jaiwant has commented that getting bit perfect playback is difficult. I wouldn't use kodi for music playback.

I have a similar amlogic android tv box setup running kodi by default. I host a huge music collection (10k+ tracks) on a 1tb hdd and play them via a usb dac. Yatse remote on my mobile makes the entire collection searchable and comes with advanced functionality much like streaming platforms (album art, playlists, tags etc)
I use Spotify connect for streaming.
Plus there are several streaming addons like shoutcast that host a ton of free radio stations of multiple genres from across the world.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back