Kora Music From West Africa

Naturelover

Staff member

Sona Jobarteh performed in Weimar on invitation of the University of Music FRANZ LISZT Weimar and its UNESCO Chair of Transcultural Music Studies (TMS).
The TMS Chair regularly invites artists to bring the musicology students into contact with various musical cultures for inspiration and exchange.
Sona Jobarteh is the first female Kora virtuoso to come from a west African Griot family.
The Kora is one of the most important instruments belonging to the Manding peoples of West Africa (Gambia, Senegal, Mali, Guinea and Guinea-Bissau).
It belongs exclusively to griot families, and usually only men who are born into these families have the right to take up the instrument professionally.
Sona Jobarteh combines various genres of African Music and western musical elements.

Sonah Jobarteh – Acoustic Guitar/ Kora/ Vocals
Kari Bannermann – Acoustic Guitar
Andi McLean – Electric Bass/ BVs
Mouhamadou Sarr – Djembe/ Congas/ Calabash/ BVs

Recorded on 1 July 2015 at the "mon ami", Weimar.
For further information visit: www.hfm-weimar.de/tms

That's great naturelover. thanks. Enjoyed the music.I was just thinking of posting about a Record I was gifted recently called Trio De Kali who are a supergroup because of their families being popular singers before them. They call themselves storytellers/ Griots and come from Mali. The album is the effort of The Kronos Quartet who have a 45 year long career and are a Western String Quartet. Quite pleasurable to see the melding and effortless coming together of such diverse cultures and music.
Seems like Mali has a rich and thriving music scene. Toumani diabete is a famous Malian Kora player whose son has taken after him. And also another Malian Ali Farka Toure is great and I know him from the Album Timbuktu with Ry Cooder..A definitive blues album to own.

Attachments

• Comb08082018120002.jpg
    Comb08082018120002.jpg
    319.9 KB · Views: 10
That's great naturelover. thanks. Enjoyed the music.I was just thinking of posting about a Record I was gifted recently called Trio De Kali who are a supergroup because of their families being popular singers before them. They call themselves storytellers/ Griots and come from Mali. The album is the effort of The Kronos Quartet who have a 45 year long career and are a Western String Quartet. Quite pleasurable to see the melding and effortless coming together of such diverse cultures and music.
Seems like Mali has a rich and thriving music scene. Toumani diabete is a famous Malian Kora player whose son has taken after him. And also another Malian Ali Farka Toure is great and I know him from the Album Timbuktu with Ry Cooder..A definitive blues album to own.

I do have Talking Timbuktu and like it very much. Listened to the Trio Da Kali album on YouTube. Great music, thanks.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back