Krell 400xi

While we are at it (i.e. considering amps from Scandinavian countries), how would a Densen compare with an Electrocompaniet? Any idea, folks! Never heard them (or could have heard them during my years in Europe, but cannot remember now). I was interested in a Densen Integrated at some point. They double and quadruple the power at 4 and 2 Ohms respectively or at least is stable at 2 Ohms, GREAT! Not many amps can do that. Their Indian distributor is in Pune (not sure if they are really trying to sell any Densens here in India). Could not locate them anywhere else and hence dropped the idea. Just another spin in the discussion here. They are also discussed briefly in my amp thread mentioned in my earlier post.

Regards

I tracked down the dealer for Densen a few months back (they also deal in Vincent and Antony Gallo). Was primarily interested in Vincent but they dont really have much by way of stock so gave up on the idea. In case anyone is interested, pm me your email id and I will send across the Vincent and Densen India price lists.

Finally got an amplifier!

Folks,

My protracted search for an amplifier has finally come to and end. Before breaking the suspense, let me pen down impressions of 3 other amplifiers that I heard before finalising:

Vincent SP-331 MK (with Promitheus TVC)
A slightly warm sounding amplifier with good current and grip over the speakers. Not terribly transparent but had a decent soundstage. At the end of the day, I didnt really see it offering anything to justify the 20k + premium over a Parasound Halo A23.

Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated
An utter disappointment of an amplifier. Practically sounded dead and struggled to drive the Dynaudio's (complete lack of dynamics even at 50% volume - sounded weaker than the Marantz 7001!).

Parasound Halo A21 (with Promitheus TVC)
Great amplifier. More transparent than the Vincent. Good dynamics and soundstage. Capable of driving much heavier loads than the Audience 52. However, for my particular speakers, didnt offer much over its little brother (even the dealer agreed that for my speakers, the amp was overkill). At this stage, the leading contender was still the A23

Yamaha A-S2000 integrated
I was very surprised by this amplifier's performance. Extremely transparent and clean sounding. Great soundstaging although the image was slightly in front of the speakers. Tremendous control over the speakers. Excellent timing. Seemingly flat frequency response. To my ears, it sounded better than anything I'd heard in my amplifier hunt with the exception of the Bryston Pre-Power combo and the Plinius (both of which are in an entirely different price bracket). At the price at which it was offered (75k for a lightly used demo piece), it was an absolute no brainer to buy it. I wasnt expecting much from the amp and was suprised by the level of transparency as well as how well it paired with the Dynaudio's. Also heard it with the Morel Octave bookshelves. The two make a good combination (very engaging sound although too revealing for some older recordings). Now I'm tempted to upgrade the speakers as well!

The Yamaha got delivered yesterday and I set it up last night. I'm pleasantly surprised by the level of detail that one of my DAC's is capable of reproducing and am looking forward to the CD player I will be picking up from Bangalore in the next few weeks.

Re: Finally got an amplifier!

Folks,

My protracted search for an amplifier has finally come to and end. Before breaking the suspense, let me pen down impressions of 3 other amplifiers that I heard before finalising:

Vincent SP-331 MK (with Promitheus TVC)
A slightly warm sounding amplifier with good current and grip over the speakers. Not terribly transparent but had a decent soundstage. At the end of the day, I didnt really see it offering anything to justify the 20k + premium over a Parasound Halo A23.

Cambridge Audio 840A V2 integrated
An utter disappointment of an amplifier. Practically sounded dead and struggled to drive the Dynaudio's (complete lack of dynamics even at 50% volume - sounded weaker than the Marantz 7001!).

Parasound Halo A21 (with Promitheus TVC)
Great amplifier. More transparent than the Vincent. Good dynamics and soundstage. Capable of driving much heavier loads than the Audience 52. However, for my particular speakers, didnt offer much over its little brother (even the dealer agreed that for my speakers, the amp was overkill). At this stage, the leading contender was still the A23

Yamaha A-S2000 integrated
I was very surprised by this amplifier's performance. Extremely transparent and clean sounding. Great soundstaging although the image was slightly in front of the speakers. Tremendous control over the speakers. Excellent timing. Seemingly flat frequency response. To my ears, it sounded better than anything I'd heard in my amplifier hunt with the exception of the Bryston Pre-Power combo and the Plinius (both of which are in an entirely different price bracket). At the price at which it was offered (75k for a lightly used demo piece), it was an absolute no brainer to buy it. I wasnt expecting much from the amp and was suprised by the level of transparency as well as how well it paired with the Dynaudio's. Also heard it with the Morel Octave bookshelves. The two make a good combination (very engaging sound although too revealing for some older recordings). Now I'm tempted to upgrade the speakers as well!

The Yamaha got delivered yesterday and I set it up last night. I'm pleasantly surprised by the level of detail that one of my DAC's is capable of reproducing and am looking forward to the CD player I will be picking up from Bangalore in the next few weeks.

I've heard this amp as well... and its is beautiful, esp with the Morel's. It was quite a surprise to hear something so smooth and nice from Yamaha. It certainly broke my conception of Yamaha being "just another sold out AVR manufacturere!"
And for the MRP, this amp is a beauty! BTW, you got a darned good price on the demo piece! Enjoy!

Jai,

Heartiest congratulations! I think dinyaar has the CDP that goes with this amp.
Where did you buy this from? I guess from Boom-a-Rang. Did you hear and compare with the Arcam FMJ A38?

What is the CDP that you are getting from Bangalore?

Well, I am sure you shall enjoy your music.

Malvai, Yamaha is much much more than a middle-of-the-road AVR company. They are capable of making some stunning products.

Regards.

Jai,

Heartiest congratulations! I think dinyaar has the CDP that goes with this amp.
Where did you buy this from? I guess from Boom-a-Rang. Did you hear and compare with the Arcam FMJ A38?

What is the CDP that you are getting from Bangalore?

Well, I am sure you shall enjoy your music.

Malvai, Yamaha is much much more than a middle-of-the-road AVR company. They are capable of making some stunning products.

Regards.
I agree with you! And with this new series that have certainly proven it! They have shown that they still have the DNA to produce audiophile grade stuff, despite all the poo-bah products that they churned out in the last few years.

They certainly got their act together on this series. Even the CDP is a good un!:clapping:

Thanks guys.

@Asit, I did indeed buy the amp at Boomarang. Great experience with them.
I Didnt hear the Arcam A38. I'm picking up a used Bluenote Stibbert from someone in Bangalore.

Jai,

Bluenote Stibbert! I read in our forum that somebody in Bangalore was upgrading and wanted to sell this one. Really great! You seem to be moving up sonically.

I was checking on the specs of your amp. It is really heavy, 50 lbs. It seems to have a MM/MC phono stage, so now you can hook up a TT as another source. This is really good, because modern integrated amps generally seem to forget about the phono inputs.

Regards

Asit

@Asit, it is indeed heavy - had quite a time rearranging my rack yesterday. The phono stage on the amp is supposed to be quite good. Unfortunately I dont have a turntable or, more importantly, any source of LPs so that experiment may take some time to materialise. The CD player should be a major upgrade, although my existing DAC does punch in well above its price class

who has now moved to a Teac VRDS/DAC combo? Is the the source of your coming in CDP?

Yes :)

Good Choice & Boom a rang is a good place to buy your gear. It would've been intresting if you could ve compared the arcam.

Have heard the stibert once a few years ago & it was considered among one of the top cdps. You are going to have a very musical set up.:clapping:
Yes may it's time to change you spks :D
All the best.
Cheers

Last edited:
Hello all,

I would like to share my experience in this match too. I have recently upgraded my speakers to Dynaudio Focus 220Mkii together with krell S300i amplifier after listening to following amps:

Plinius 9200 (good but too mild)
Naim Supernait (really high current and warm sound)
Pathos Logos (one of the silky sound amp)
Denson (good warm sound never get fatigue)
Krell S300i (balanced sound overall with weighty bass)
Bryston 3BSST (was edgy but good, not for long sessions)
NAD Master series M3(dual mono but boring sounding)
Musical Fidelity M6i (over all good amplifier, but pricey compare to features)
Primare i30 (was good but not enough powerful to drive my speakers)
Marantz Ki pearl (good but to mellow sound for my liking)

as you can see I spend fair bit of time in Adelphi (Singapore) listening to so many of them. Finally decided on Krell which sounded good to my ears. also, not to forget the re-sale value i may get once decide to go for pre-power combo in near future.

I hope it helps everyone while looking for a integrated amplifier in near future.

Cheers,

Swatantra

Hi,

Can you kindly tell us how much have you paid for your amp? How much was the customs and any shipping cost?

Regards.

Congrats!

Hope you got a good deal on both the amp and speaker since you got it from Singapore.

hello all,

Apparently few months back I was transferred to Singapore so I don't have to pay any duties. but I know for a fact that as soon as I am coming back to India no matter how old the electronics is those buggers at the customs will open their dirty mouth for money.

Nonetheless, I paid $4,600 for Focus 220 and $4,000 for Krell. The prices are in sing dollars. I am really pleased with the sound which has tremendous warmth and soul. not grainy at all and good transient response. After all Krell is known for High end products.

Regards,

Swat

Congrats on your new setup Swatantra. You are lucky to be doing this in Singapore. In India it would be impossible to listen to all those amps with your speakers unless you cart them across the country.

Jai,

you are absolutely right about it. it is next to impossible to listen to all in one city together with decent prices. that said I am sure situation will improve in India fairly soon.

regards,

S

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back