laptop

jacobjayakar

hello friends,
new to the forum thrilled to see such a forum.

I have a laptop and want to buy some speakers and subwoofer in the range of 35 to 40 k. is a laptop compatible with av receivers. will i get the desired quality of sound . all suggestions are welcome.

You can use your laptop as a source to AV Reciever using the headphone jack as the out. This is pretty common and works really well with Windows Media Player or any other good software. Many of these soft players are pretty neat as you can make play lists on the fly. These are not true hifi audio but its not the point really on a PC system.

Sound however is really good with any decent receiver. Pick up some of the commonly available HT setups from Onkyo or Yamaha (long list available as you'll see). I talk up Onkyo because they have increased their availability in many consumer stores and Onkyo India offers very good support. Price wise as well they are reasonable and will fall in your 35K budget.

Onkyo speakers are not much to talk about and I would recommend the Jamo setup they seem to be putting together at many places. But you have a good selection at many suppliers. Always hear the system before you buy. Make sure you get speaker wires as well. You should also pick up decent voltage and power conditioner to protect your system. They also make your sound better.

Note: For watching DVDs you will need to add a good DVD codec which you can buy online. Prices start at around $15 (Rs 675).

thanks nikhil, can you recommend me a dealer in delhi or chandigarh.

You can use your laptop as a source to AV Reciever using the headphone jack as the out. This is pretty common and works really well with Windows Media Player or any other good software. Many of these soft players are pretty neat as you can make play lists on the fly. These are not true hifi audio but its not the point really on a PC system.

Sound however is really good with any decent receiver. Pick up some of the commonly available HT setups from Onkyo or Yamaha (long list available as you'll see). I talk up Onkyo because they have increased their availability in many consumer stores and Onkyo India offers very good support. Price wise as well they are reasonable and will fall in your 35K budget.

Onkyo speakers are not much to talk about and I would recommend the Jamo setup they seem to be putting together at many places. But you have a good selection at many suppliers. Always hear the system before you buy. Make sure you get speaker wires as well. You should also pick up decent voltage and power conditioner to protect your system. They also make your sound better.

Note: For watching DVDs you will need to add a good DVD codec which you can buy online. Prices start at around $15 (Rs 675).

Hi Jacob,

Could you please share your laptop configuration?

Do you already have some Notebook/External sound card?

Your laptop's headfone jack will give you stereo sound only (correct me folks if I am wrong :D ) which is alright if you listen to music all the time.
But if you are into movies also and really want to enjoy 5.1 sound then you would need an additional sound card.

There are plenty of good sound cards by Creative, M-Audio, Turtle Beach, ESI etc ... google them and find out the best for you.

-Siddarth

PS: Download Video LAN (http://www.videolan.org/) for playing DVD, DivX, XviD etc etc ... it's cross platform player and its free :D

Last edited:
Regarding dealer info

Onkyo dealer in Delhi

K-1/79, Ground Floor,
Opp. South Park Apartment (Gate No.1),
Chittaranjan Park,
New Delhi - 110 019.
Tel:011 - 4160 3109, 4050 2619
Fax:2627 8935
Mobile:98117 76762
Web: ONKYO INDIA

Also, go through some other AV receivers like Denon, Yamaha etc.
Every AVR has its pros and cons ... so filter out the best that suits your needs.

ProFx deals in Denon here in India (Profx - Advanced Audio Solutions) ... and I see one dealer in Chandigarh.

M/s. Symphony
Contact No: 2770091 / 098153 26334
Dealers in: DENON, Polk Audio & QED

ProFx distributor in Delhi

M/s Sight and Sound India
D12/4, Okhla Industrial Area, Phase-II,
New Delhi-110 020
Contact No: 011 41414100 / 09810339238
Dealers in: All Products

Yamaha AVRs in Delhi NCR
Gizmos, DLF city Center Mall, Gurgaon

-Siddarth

Your laptop's headfone jack will give you stereo sound only (correct me folks if I am wrong :D )....

While that is usually the case, these days a lot of laptops comes with headphone jack that doubles as an SPDIF out as well; HP, Acer etc. In which case, you can connect it to the AVR with an optical cable and a small adaptor like this.
http://www.hardwarezone.com/img/data/articles/2003/605/optical-cable-1.jpg

If not, you may go for a usb or PCMIA sound card with digital out like this one
http://regmedia.co.uk/2007/06/13/creative_xfi_laptop_1.jpg

All the best.

Hi Jacob looks like I missed your replies but I think you've got a handle of things by now. Did you look up the DVD codecs on the micrsosoft site?

unleash_me - great info. :cool:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back