Large copper urn- how will it effect sound.

scipath

This may sound like a strange question. What will be the effect of a large hollow copper urn on the sound in a medium sized room? The kind that, in the old days, was used to heat bathwater with firewood. Around 22 inch wide and 22 inch tall.

This may sound like a strange question. What will be the effect of a large hollow copper urn on the sound in a medium sized room? The kind that, in the old days, was used to heat bathwater with firewood. Around 22 inch wide and 22 inch tall.
Any large metal object usually sucks out the life out of music, making it lifeless. I had this experience with heavy treadmill in listening area. Let's know your experience.

Any large metal object usually sucks out the life out of music, making it lifeless. I had this experience with heavy treadmill in listening area. Let's know your experience.
That could be a good thing for me. My room is too alive!

I'd like to see what happens from this! Interesting discussion!

I know of bronze alloys being used as acoustic treatment - think of metals used to make bells and chimes etc. My gut feeling is that these things would add to the sound due to the resonant behavior of the metal. A German company (High End Novum) makes a bronze alloy plate that is used in many audio shows by high end manufacturers to enhance the sound of their rooms.

I gave it a try. Placed it in a corner behind the speakers. No significant change. It feels as if lower mid has decreased a bit, but could be placebo. Right now it isn't polished, so there'll be a lot of damping.

Can you try placing it between the speakers or slightly behind the speaker line?
But wherever you place it there will be some effect on the sound.

The good thing is that this is a fun experiment for you to try out.

Can you try placing it between the speakers or slightly behind the speaker line?
But wherever you place it there will be some effect on the sound.

The good thing is that this is a fun experiment for you to try out.

So far nothing. I even kept it right next to me on one side to see if it changes the stereo image. But nada. Maybe a slight decrease in lower midrange, like flute sound etc.
I am sure there is a difference, but I can't discern it. My ears are probably not very refined (although my ent tests say I have superhuman hearing). I wish I had a room correction apparatus, so I could make actual measurements. I will keep experimenting though. I was hoping it'll work like a resonator as you suggested.
What kind of changes can I expect? Interested to know why you picked the location between speakers.
I am not an acoustics expert, but using high school physics: It's dimensions are about half a meter, which corresponds to a frequency of 660 hz and half wavelength frequency of 330 hz. So lower frequencies won't even 'see' the object, therefore it won't effect the low bass. Very high frequencies will see only it's boundary so it will work as diffuser. So anything interesting like resonance can happen only in the lower midrange, which is where I do perceive a slight difference. But surprisingly, it feels like a decrease. There is Ash from decades of use due to which there is significant damping. Even if I ring it, the sound sustains for only 5 seconds. Unlike bells which will sustains for a minute. Maybe a polished one will be more significant.
Edit: it rings at a frequency of 140 hz when struck.

Last edited:
In Open Baffle types of speakers the effect of the urn will be more pronounced, as these speakers depends on reflections to perform at its optimum.

What kind of changes can I expect? Interested to know why you picked the location between speakers.

Resonators excite certain frequencies based on their natural frequency. So depending on what that frequency is you can have consonant or dissonant sound. If you are experiencing a suck out then that's what it is for your room and setup.

The location between the speakers is where sound waves interact to create the stereo image.

I gave it a try. Placed it in a corner behind the speakers. No significant change. It feels as if lower mid has decreased a bit, but could be placebo. Right now it isn't polished, so there'll be a lot of damping.
Don't know about how much it will alter the sound in your room; you are the judge of it.
But aesthetics wise it may gain WAF points; ones that you can barter (at a later date) when you go for an upgrade or want to have a mess of wires.
Polish the urn and place it in your living room/listening space.
Bright polished copper urns (or "Hande" as known in Kannada) are a part of eclectic furniture decor.
Cheers,
Raghu

Don't know about how much it will alter the sound in your room; you are the judge of it.
But aesthetics wise it may gain WAF points; ones that you can barter (at a later date) when you go for an upgrade or want to have a mess of wires.
Polish the urn and place it in your living room/listening space.
Bright polished copper urns (or "Hande" as known in Kannada) are a part of eclectic furniture decor.
Cheers,
Raghu
:) I like the look of it in the corner. And there it shall stay.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back