LCD from USA - will it work with Tatasky, BigTV etc ?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the NTSC/Pal thing is only relevant if you're using the RF (antannae) input, and not for component or HDMI. That being said, most modern LCD's are multi-system. They can support both 50Hz/60Hz inputs.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the NTSC/Pal thing is only relevant if you're using the RF (antannae) input, and not for component or HDMI. That being said, most modern LCD's are multi-system. They can support both 50Hz/60Hz inputs.

you are very much correct. concept of PAL/NTSC is no longer valid in digital world. you just need to get HD set-top box and connect your LCD with HDMI cable. it will work. most of guys who are bringing LCD from US always face this dilemna.

I tried it. Component does not help. I connected my TataSky+ via component to my Philips Plasma TV from US, and it did not work.

US TVs support 60Hz only. This is the key issue, because of which even a HDMI connection will not work.

Have a look at this device - a PAL HDMI to NTSC HDMI converter :
Amazon.com: Atlona AT-HD560 Pal HDMI to NTSC HDMI Converter 1080p: Electronics

If PAL/NTSC were not an issue in the digital domain, why would you need such a device ?

I would be interested in hearing whether the people claiming that PAL/NTSC is not an issue in the digital domain, have ever actually tested their hypothesis.

I struggled with an NTSC only TV from US for over a year, and finally gave up.

Have a look at the reviews for the Altona device on Amazon. A number of people across the world who state clearly that HDMI / HD programming does not help. To use a US / NTSC only TV in a PAL country, you need a frame rate converter - 50hz to 60hz. Indians who have brught back a TV from US have also posted.

Last edited:
OK I stand corrected! I guess the next gen of multiformat TV's will have switchable input frequencies (especially in 3D sets) where you can switch between 50/100 Hz and 60/120Hz. Computer monitors have supported multiple frequencies since ages now.

to correct u all guys who have a wrong understanding of HDMI, though it is HDMI the signal which it carries from the STB is a PAL signal and the TV from US is capable of handling NTSC signal. Having said that we are feeding a PAL signal to a NTSC tuner which is no way going to work unless or until we use a converter like Altona or etc.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back