LCD or Plasma

burdy

Hi all,
New to the forum so firstly i must compliment all of u guys for putting up excellent information and letting all the readers grey matter charge up.
To this end it seems how ignorant a normal customer is ... ofcourse till he has gone through your posts.
Now to my querry. So guys i am looking to buy a new TV... LCD or Plasma options are still open. My requirements are for getting a 42+ size. Infact i had zeeroed on to either LG or Samsung 2010 models of 50" full HD. But now after reading al abt the issues which are there with these Plasmas i am having my second thoughts.
Having zeeroed on to these 50'' models, my budget is around 70k. Viewing is with tatasky and occasional movies as we preffer going for moview hall for the same and there is a little time left after that.
Kindly advice me for a good TV either 46, 47" LCD or a 50"Plasma. Saw panasonic Plasma too but 50" is beyond budget and getting a 42" Panasonic plasma i don't think is worth when one can buy a good 47" LCD for almost simm prize.
Kindly advice early.
Regards to all

No replies so far
i am really diappinted.
I know there are a lot of posts addressig the querry but still.
By the way i recently also had a look at 46 inch sony EX series. How good is the same in comparison to samsung 46 inch
PLease reply

I think your expectations on replies to this post is unfair. If you had gone through the existing posts, you should have got the answers by now. Also it would be difficult for somebody to give the answer for your questions.

I am very sure you would enjoy any TV that you would buy. If I were you, I would finalize one or two models within my budget and go for shopping to get best value for money (good price). The only advise I an provide you is buy the latest model.

No replies so far
i am really diappinted.
By the way i recently also had a look at 46 inch sony EX series. How good is the same in comparison to samsung 46 inch
PLease reply

You should seriously search the forum before posting as this issue has been discussed multiple times.

No replies so far
i am really diappinted.
PLease reply

Please search the forum, there are plenty of threads already on the same. With loads of information. It is difficult to keep answering the same questions week on week.

Just use the search box and you will get all the answers.

Cheers ...

If you are watching more SD content(Tata Sky) go for LCD with good blacklevels and depending on your roomsize .. you can pick the biggest. If you are in to HD content , playing games on TV , watch lot of sports and hd rips .. and your room is non reflective go for PLasma................ :cool:

Plasma requires a lot of care if u want the screen to be perfect in terms of uniformity of exposure to all the phospors. I've ignored those and am finding some dissapointing patterns in my TV in no signal mode (streaks from letterbox movies, and logo areas etc). These errors are not discernible for regular viewing. Anyhow since my TV has hardly done 25-30 hours, I'm in a position to recitfy some of the past errors. A lot of normal consumers wouldnt be able to tell till their plasma panels suffers irreplaceable damage. A Plasma TV is an enthusiast product. Its not meant to be perfect out of the box, (unless u go for the super expensive high end ones) but perfection comes with proper usage and the proper precautions. It's like a sports car, you can't rev mindlessly from day 1 or do 250 km/hr in the first month. If you think running breakin slides, or keeping off static content completely off the screen and doing other acvitivies which make you feel like a OCD afflicted guy, then dont buy. Also Plasmas are like a single master device, so it just can't be used as any other TV's by all family members. Stick to LCDs.

Hi all,
New to the forum so firstly i must compliment all of u guys for putting up excellent information and letting all the readers grey matter charge up.
To this end it seems how ignorant a normal customer is ... ofcourse till he has gone through your posts.
Now to my querry. So guys i am looking to buy a new TV... LCD or Plasma options are still open. My requirements are for getting a 42+ size. Infact i had zeeroed on to either LG or Samsung 2010 models of 50" full HD. But now after reading al abt the issues which are there with these Plasmas i am having my second thoughts.
Having zeeroed on to these 50'' models, my budget is around 70k. Viewing is with tatasky and occasional movies as we preffer going for moview hall for the same and there is a little time left after that.
Kindly advice me for a good TV either 46, 47" LCD or a 50"Plasma. Saw panasonic Plasma too but 50" is beyond budget and getting a 42" Panasonic plasma i don't think is worth when one can buy a good 47" LCD for almost simm prize.
Kindly advice early.
Regards to all
search the forum and tell us what do u think!

Plasma requires a lot of care if u want the screen to be perfect in terms of uniformity of exposure to all the phospors. I've ignored those and am finding some dissapointing patterns in my TV in no signal mode (streaks from letterbox movies, and logo areas etc). These errors are not discernible for regular viewing. Anyhow since my TV has hardly done 25-30 hours, I'm in a position to recitfy some of the past errors. A lot of normal consumers wouldnt be able to tell till their plasma panels suffers irreplaceable damage. A Plasma TV is an enthusiast product. Its not meant to be perfect out of the box, (unless u go for the super expensive high end ones) but perfection comes with proper usage and the proper precautions. It's like a sports car, you can't rev mindlessly from day 1 or do 250 km/hr in the first month. If you think running breakin slides, or keeping off static content completely off the screen and doing other acvitivies which make you feel like a OCD afflicted guy, then dont buy. Also Plasmas are like a single master device, so it just can't be used as any other TV's by all family members. Stick to LCDs.

Well have posted it in numerous threads, posting it again, in the initial period of burn in , you need to run the set at lower display settings, watch everything in full screen mode.

Also enable internal softwares which ensure no IR or burn in happens.

Samsung tv's come with pixel shift, which runs in the background, check what your set has turn it on. Also some tv's have the option for all white.

So there are lot of things to do if you want to do them.

My 3 year old plasma is used by everyone in my family now, so everyone can use it once its been setup properly and break in has happened.

yeah yeah...I know all that. My fault was I never never bothered with the Plasma breakin images. Big miskate!! anyhow have learnet my lesson and will run the slideshow till the screen becomes completely uniform.

yeah yeah...I know all that. My fault was I never never bothered with the Plasma breakin images. Big miskate!! anyhow have learnet my lesson and will run the slideshow till the screen becomes completely uniform.

Can you please post the steps / more details of running the show ? :)

Can you please post the steps / more details of running the show ? :)

well get the 120 images in a pen drive, stick it on the side of the telly. Invoke the xstudio mode, select photos, select the folder with the breakin images, click on any image and click on mark all. click again and click on "view all marked" when the screen lights up in the 1st color (bright red) click on slideshow and then click on hide to hide the navigator window. Thats it. Set up a sleep timer, if running the slideshow at night, or while unattended.

can anyone tell me for watching letterbox movies, how do I turn the default black bars to grey

well get the 120 images in a pen drive, stick it on the side of the telly. Invoke the xstudio mode, select photos, select the folder with the breakin images, click on any image and click on mark all. click again and click on "view all marked" when the screen lights up in the 1st color (bright red) click on slideshow and then click on hide to hide the navigator window. Thats it. Set up a sleep timer, if running the slideshow at night, or while unattended.

can anyone tell me for watching letterbox movies, how do I turn the default black bars to grey

:sad: please dont hit me but where can I get these images / Or any normal pictures (personal) will do ? And Xstudio mode are you talking about only LG TV options here ... And by doing all that what do you gain in the TV ? I asked about burnin-breakin stuff to Samsung support guy he was whispering like "The customer lost his mind" ;) .

:sad: please dont hit me but where can I get these images / Or any normal pictures (personal) will do ? And Xstudio mode are you talking about only LG TV options here ... And by doing all that what do you gain in the TV ? I asked about burnin-breakin stuff to Samsung support guy he was whispering like "The customer lost his mind" ;) .

You can download break-in images from the following link

Plasma TV Break-In Images

And you can find some discussion about these at
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1107017

Well you asked me how I do it. I have a LG 50PK550, and thats the way i do it. I'm sure it will be a similar method for other brands. And what benefit will the breaking images have you ask. Well simple really. you're hitting all the phospors evenly with all the primary and secondary colors, all at the same time and the same input current. Hence unused pixels light up and help even out any retention. So in the 1st 100 hours, it ages the phosports uniformly, and then the TV screen reaches it's sweet spot in terms of performance. Just like the engine of a new car after the initial run-in period and 1st service. Thats the logic, how well it works or not, I dont know. But I dont lose anything by trying out, maybe a few more units to my electricity bill, which I can live with.

As about burn-in ignorance, technicians in India are prized idiots. The same phenomenon I observed in LG technicians, apart from a single senior tech, who was aware of retention and burn-in issues. Companies pimping Plasma's should educate their installation crews more, who in turn should educate customers.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back