LCD/Plasma mainly for Cable TV viewing

akshaye

Hi Guys,

after buying Philips 4750(thanks to Ram), now I wanted to buy Lcd/ plasma. I went through almost every thread, and noted down the pv8 is the winner. Recently read about LG PQ60. Now I want to do homework of the all the best models basically watching Cable TV through my hathway set top box. Before I go to showroom you have any more models that I can check out..? I had given a visit to Vijay sales at Prabhadevi, but not sure, on each LCD and plasma the TV broadcasting looks not so good. I watch movies twice in a week though, and my budget is around 45k.

I know that this subject has been discussed for so many time, but I noticed there is very less talk about cable tv viewing on LCDs and plasmas.

My room size is 10x16ft "L" shape and my viewing distance is 8 to max 10 ft.

So till now I think I have only 2 models in my mind. 1 is pv8 and other is PQ60 ( not sure how PQ60 is for cable viewing though)

Please advice me on this.

Thanks,
Dhiraj

Hi Guys,

after buying Philips 4750(thanks to Ram), now I wanted to buy Lcd/ plasma. I went through almost every thread, and noted down the pv8 is the winner. Recently read about LG PQ60. Now I want to do homework of the all the best models basically watching Cable TV through my hathway set top box. Before I go to showroom you have any more models that I can check out..? I had given a visit to Vijay sales at Prabhadevi, but not sure, on each LCD and plasma the TV broadcasting looks not so good. I watch movies twice in a week though, and my budget is around 45k.

I know that this subject has been discussed for so many time, but I noticed there is very less talk about cable tv viewing on LCDs and plasmas.

My room size is 10x16ft "L" shape and my viewing distance is 8 to max 10 ft.

So till now I think I have only 2 models in my mind. 1 is pv8 and other is PQ60 ( not sure how PQ60 is for cable viewing though)

Please advice me on this.

Thanks,
Dhiraj

both are good tvs - panny colours are more natural and easy on the eyes whereas the LQ has brighter reds that look good initially but ultimately you tune down the colours. For cable viewing its better you get a HD ready set -pv8 tops the list. My pv8 has been the neighbours envy for the last 2 weeks since she saw it.

PS: She was influentially flaunting her LG Jazz in front of my wife (full HD - and its a really good TV and one i would recommend) - but SD pics and cable tv looks horrible on that. Ultimately when she saw our TV she went back dejected admitting how normal cable looks crap on their TV.:clapping:

watching Cable TV through my hathway set top box

Since You are using STB from Hatway PQ will not be an issue for LCD.Hathway STB can be matched with any DTH.My cousin in Chemboor is using the Hathway STB PQ is Excellent.But check out available IN/OUT options in your STB to connect with LCD.
Note :this is my openion..

Since You are using STB from Hatway PQ will not be an issue for LCD.Hathway STB can be matched with any DTH.My cousin in Chemboor is using the Hathway STB PQ is Excellent.But check out available IN/OUT options in your STB to connect with LCD.
Note :this is my openion..

Which LCD he has and is it 32" or 42"?

32" Samsung.

:indifferent14:

do check out the difference of SD stuff on a 21/32 and 42 and beyond LCP/plasma.

Points to note:
Signal Quality
Size of scree
HD/HD ready nature of display

Tata Sky on my home 21CTV LG Slim looks smashing
Same tata sky on LG Jazz 42 Full HD LCD looks atrocious
Same tata sky on my Panny PV8 42 HD ready looks acceptable actually quite ok.

Size makes a difference - the signal will look better on a smaller screen - on a bigger screen its not acceptabel.

Ditto with Full HD and HD ready - a tata sky on a HD ready plasma/LCD is usually better than a full HD tv of same size.

:indifferent14:

do check out the difference of SD stuff on a 21/32 and 42 and beyond LCP/plasma.

Points to note:
Signal Quality
Size of scree
HD/HD ready nature of display

Tata Sky on my home 21CTV LG Slim looks smashing
Same tata sky on LG Jazz 42 Full HD LCD looks atrocious
Same tata sky on my Panny PV8 42 HD ready looks acceptable actually quite ok.

Size makes a difference - the signal will look better on a smaller screen - on a bigger screen its not acceptabel.

Ditto with Full HD and HD ready - a tata sky on a HD ready plasma/LCD is usually better than a full HD tv of same size.

Hi Suprateep, Thanks for your feedback.
I am not sure we can compare tata sky with hathway set top box. the main question can PV8 will display same quality of picture ( which it displays through tata sky) from my set top box too..?

Hi Suprateep, Thanks for your feedback.
I am not sure we can compare tata sky with hathway set top box. the main question can PV8 will display same quality of picture ( which it displays through tata sky) from my set top box too..?

bro i have not yet seen a hathway set top box in action but for SD stuff panny is unbeatable in that price segment by a huge margin. Not to say HD stuff looks bad - elephants dream HD movie looked great on it.

Ok Guys,
Today I went to Vijay Sales and watched out pv8, LG PQ30 and samsung A450.
Well between pv8 and pq30 frankly sayning I didnt find any difference in picture quality but I guess pv8 has nice depth and nice black too. The cost both s almost same. A450 is 7k costlier so I am not taking it into consideration. Cost of pv8 is displaye 46999k. But I told one guy over there, on one forum the coast is 43k. So he told me that he can give me at 44k. But he is not offering any offers such as free movie or hdmi cable :sad: So guys what you think should I go for it..? Should I take LG PQ30 into consideration too?

Thanks in advance...

Hi guys,
finally I booked pv8 at vijay sales at 44k + 500rs for hdmi cable. They are delivering it today. I have already went through calibration settings and the settings to avoid burned in.

After reading all the setting I think these are the main things which I need to need to do in first 100hrs of plasma.

1. If possible avoid Gaming and PC input during first 100 hrs. Txt in games tends to be at full levels to stand out thus running those pixels at max with all the rest not, this may lead to a slight mismatch in life for those pixels.
2. Stick to 16:9 viewing
3. Avoid display a static logo or the Windows desktop or pausing a DVD for more than 30 minutes which will greatly increase the risk of permanent screen burn
4. Basic thumb-rule is during first 100 hrs reduce the contrast and brightness to less than 50%

Guys if I missed any first 100hrs setting then let me know.

And also after 100hrs I can do any settings which I prefer right? meaning I can watch tv Or DVD with black horizontal sripes right? Since it looks very nice in panaromic screen.

Thanks in advanced

Hi guys,
finally I booked pv8 at vijay sales at 44k + 500rs for hdmi cable. They are delivering it today. I have already went through calibration settings and the settings to avoid burned in.

After reading all the setting I think these are the main things which I need to need to do in first 100hrs of plasma.

1. If possible avoid Gaming and PC input during first 100 hrs. Txt in games tends to be at full levels to stand out thus running those pixels at max with all the rest not, this may lead to a slight mismatch in life for those pixels.
2. Stick to 16:9 viewing
3. Avoid display a static logo or the Windows desktop or pausing a DVD for more than 30 minutes which will greatly increase the risk of permanent screen burn
4. Basic thumb-rule is during first 100 hrs reduce the contrast and brightness to less than 50%

Guys if I missed any first 100hrs setting then let me know.

And also after 100hrs I can do any settings which I prefer right? meaning I can watch tv Or DVD with black horizontal sripes right? Since it looks very nice in panaromic screen.

Thanks in advanced

Also make sure the pixel shift is set to on. This will help prevent burn in. Also you can do a sweep of white sweep once a week for the first month to ensure nothing is sticking on the screen. These days the TVs are very robust and you should not have any problems even if you view programming in 4:3 or letter box mode in the first 100 hrs.

Hi Guys,
Just on my PV8 and blown away after seeing hathway set box with pv8 clarity..!. Its just awesome. I dont understand this awesome piece is just for 44k..? Watched Monster inc and DVD clarity is also superb. Thanks guys for helping novice people like me to buy the VFM products.

Thanks again...

Hi Guys,
Just on my PV8 and blown away after seeing hathway set box with pv8 clarity..!. Its just awesome. I dont understand this awesome piece is just for 44k..? Watched Monster inc and DVD clarity is also superb. Thanks guys for helping novice people like me to buy the VFM products.

Thanks again...

Make sure you do your part and tell others too about this great TV!

Also make sure the pixel shift is set to on. This will help prevent burn in. Also you can do a sweep of white sweep once a week for the first month to ensure nothing is sticking on the screen. These days the TVs are very robust and you should not have any problems even if you view programming in 4:3 or letter box mode in the first 100 hrs.

hey marsilians,
Where do I find pixel shift option in PV8? And sorry to ask you this ( you might think its a dump question) I dont understand white sweep..? Can you explain it.

Thanks in advanced

Well as far as i know, pixel shift comes in Sammy plasma's, i have the option in my Q9, personally i was not able to locate it in Panny PV80,don't know whether PV8 has that option or not,

Hey moserw,
Do you know where can we make pixel shifting setting on, on our pv8?

That's a feature in Samsung plasma TVs. Just a precaution against leaving static images for too long on the TV resulting in burn-in. Don't worry too much about it. I've left the TV on for hours and even it on overnight while I slept and nothing has happened. Just use zoom while watching DVDs to remove the black bars, but even that's not too much of an issue.

I got a Panny 32LE8 and its works very nicely with my hathway set top box....The picture quality is just great and having a ball watching the world cup on it...:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I got a Panny 32LE8 and its works very nicely with my hathway set top box....The picture quality is just great and having a ball watching the world cup on it...:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Congratulatons on your purchase, how much did you pay for the same ?

Congratulatons on your purchase, how much did you pay for the same ?

I am paying in installments..

5001 Down Payment

1667 X 15 months EMI.

Come to around 30k. I had small dealers offering me the same model at 27.5k but I chose to purchase it from Vijay Sales for the EMI option.

Unfortunately India lost in the T20 world cup which is a big disappointment as wanted to see Indian win on my Panny.

Cheers

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back