LCD TV - 46" Comparison

fide

I am trying to decide on a LCD TV (not plasma) and my preferred size is 46 inches. I am currently outside India and I am trying to find out the price of such TVs in India which will help me decide if I should buy it from here and bring it with me.

Preferred Brand: Sharp, Sony, Samsung, Panasonic (not necessarily in that order).

Your learned opinion in this regard will really help me.

Other than Price and performance, reliability is also a big factor.

Thanks in Advance.

i'm in the same boat....need a 46"LCD to replace 46"toshiba DLP. i've been looking at samsung,sharp,sony, and LG....leaning toward Sony due to brand loyalty since my CRT is still kicking (Toshiba...not pleased with it!). did u buy yet? opinions, if u did?

YOu may want to search the forums as this has been beaten to death by now. Usual culprits are Sony, Pana, Sharp, Samsung and LG in that order. Budget pretty much drives the purchase decision here.

After careful consideration I'll be buying a Samsung 46" B650 LCD television this weekend. At exactly Rs. 1.0L, it offers superior picture quality when compared to the Sony 46" V5500. I was concerned that the colors on the B650 were too vibrant, but I think that was probably due to it being on torch mode in the showroom. Reviews seem to be very good.

I would have loved to have bought a Panasonic plasma but they dont sell any 46" screens in India, so hard luck.

well i suggest u buy it from india or singapore,bangkok,my,hk,since the tvs sold in US are NTSC and will work only in 110v.

After careful consideration I'll be buying a Samsung 46" B650 LCD television this weekend. At exactly Rs. 1.0L, it offers superior picture quality when compared to the Sony 46" V5500. I was concerned that the colors on the B650 were too vibrant, but I think that was probably due to it being on torch mode in the showroom. Reviews seem to be very good.

I would have loved to have bought a Panasonic plasma but they dont sell any 46" screens in India, so hard luck.

iam in your boat too man...have narrowed down to these two models but i had cornered my choice to the sony..!! can you please tell me why u feel that samsung has an edge over the sony in this category ( leave alone the 100 HZ )

Sorry if my reply was too late for you gannyboy. I've been busy playing with my brand new tv :licklips:

I looked at the B650 and the V5500 side by side in the store, and from a quick look this is what I found.

B650
+ deeper blacks
+ better design
+ better connectivity
- glossy screen

V5500
+ more natural looking picture
+ more reliable brand

Since I have no lights placed opposite my tv, the glossy screen isn't too much of an irritation. In the end, I just think the B650 is better value for money, and if I was to spend the extra for a Sony I'd get the W, X or Z.

Frankly, I can barely make out the difference with the 100hz on, except that text on tickers seems to be a bit sharper as they're scrolling across the screen.

Thanks for the comparison of the two products. How did you rate the clarity with SD signal from a Set top Box in these two TVs.

Thanks for the comparison of the two products. How did you rate the clarity with SD signal from a Set top Box in these two TVs.

I wouldnt be able to answer that because I didn't get to change the settings to my preference while comparing the two. All I can say is that there is a greater quality difference between channels on Tata Sky Plus (for example between Zee Cafe and CNN as seen on my 46" B650) than there is between the two televisions.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back