LCD vs Plasma - Fact vs Myth

Re: Plasma or LCD

in the 50" plus segment they still command a healthy lead.
110767-12quixel2.gif

LCD Overtakes PDP In Big-Screen Segments - 2009-05-21 13:52:00 | TWICE

offtopic : for some time it was . see asdflkg comment. super admin made it sticky but some mod took my comment personally removed sticky :D . anyways RIP

There are several problems with your source. Firstly, you are quoting a report that is almost 1 & 1/2 yrs old. The fact is that since then Plasma sales have actually gained at the expense of LCD sales. Secondly, the report is based on the sales of only 'one' quarter and that too the first 'quarter' of the calendar year, which is traditionally the slowest period for sales in the US. Not a very good time period to judge any sales trend, let alone in the consumer electronics industry. Thirdly, you overlooked a very important part of the report, ie. "Quixel said the quarterly shortfall was partially due to product shortages (of plasmas) on end-of-life models". Finally and most importantly, all this is totally irrelevant in a comparison of two technologies. I hate repeating myself, but sales figures are not co-related to quality or which technology is better. The Pioneer Kuros were unarguably rated as the best TVs period, but that did not prevent Pioneer from shutting down their TV division. Another technology that folded around the same period is SXRD from Sony, again very popular and highly rated TVs but Sony stopped manufacturing them and only because SXRD did not fit in with their long term commercial plans. There are even technologies that were considered to be by far the best, but that never even made into a commercial product due to corporate politics; case in point SED technology from Canon. SED by the way incorporated the best of CRTs without flaws and limitations.

Throughout the history of consumer electronics, sales has very rarely been co-related with the best technology. Just a few examples:
1. VHS vs Beta
2. VHS-C vs Hi8
3. DD vs DTS (ie. before the advent of BDs).
4. Wii vs XBox 360 vs PS3
If it were not for the PS3 supporting blu-ray, we might today have been stuck with the inferior HD-DVDs based solely on the initial sales figures.

There are several other examples of consumers choosing far inferior technologies for various reasons.
1. MP3 over CDs let alone SACDs.
2. VCDs over DVDs (in India that is)

Even when it comes to service, Indians are more apt to choose the companies with the worst service. 'Dish TV' and 'Sun Direct', the two companies with by far the worst service and in the case of DIsh TV also the worst technology, are number 1 & 2 respectively.

If sales is the criteria for good/better, then I suppose you probably consider the likes of Wanted & Dabangg as the movies ever made. :lol:

In short, please stop quoting sales figures to justify your opinion of which is a better technology. In any case, neither technology can be termed the best for all circumstances and needs. But to decide which technology is better for one's needs, it is important to avoid myths and base decisions on facts.

Last edited:
I read in some thread that full hd claimed is not exactly fuulhd for moving pictures. Is that correct? Are full hd plasmas being sold by samsung not fullhd really?

Sanjay, I will make this sticky if everyone who has made some posts here allow me to edit all the posts and make it a meaningful thread. A Sticky has to be informative and useful for people, not a war of words. If a few members, as cszero said, 'bash each other', a new reader will only get more confused.

You did start well, but somewhere in between the thread lost it's usefulness and became a war zone.

Cheers

There are several problems with your source. Firstly, you are quoting a report that is almost 1 & 1/2 yrs old. The fact is that since then Plasma sales have actually gained at the expense of LCD sales. Secondly, the report is based on the sales of only 'one' quarter and that too the first 'quarter' of the calendar year, which is traditionally the slowest period for sales in the US. Not a very good time period to judge any sales trend, let alone in the consumer electronics industry. Thirdly, you overlooked a very important part of the report, ie. "Quixel said the quarterly shortfall was partially due to product shortages (of plasmas) on end-of-life models". Finally and most importantly, all this is totally irrelevant in a comparison of two technologies. I hate repeating myself, but sales figures are not co-related to quality or which technology is better. The Pioneer Kuros were unarguably rated as the best TVs period, but that did not prevent Pioneer from shutting down their TV division. Another technology that folded around the same period is SXRD from Sony, again very popular and highly rated TVs but Sony stopped manufacturing them and only because SXRD did not fit in with their long term commercial plans. There are even technologies that were considered to be by far the best, but that never even made into a commercial product due to corporate politics; case in point SED technology from Canon. SED by the way incorporated the best of CRTs without flaws and limitations.

Throughout the history of consumer electronics, sales has very rarely been co-related with the best technology. Just a few examples:
1. VHS vs Beta
2. VHS-C vs Hi8
3. DD vs DTS (ie. before the advent of BDs).
4. Wii vs XBox 360 vs PS3
If it were not for the PS3 supporting blu-ray, we might today have been stuck with the inferior HD-DVDs based solely on the initial sales figures.

There are several other examples of consumers choosing far inferior technologies for various reasons.
1. MP3 over CDs let alone SACDs.
2. VCDs over DVDs (in India that is)

Even when it comes to service, Indians are more apt to choose the companies with the worst service. 'Dish TV' and 'Sun Direct', the two companies with by far the worst service and in the case of DIsh TV also the worst technology, are number 1 & 2 respectively.

If sales is the criteria for good/better, then I suppose you probably consider the likes of Wanted & Dabangg as the movies ever made. :lol:

In short, please stop quoting sales figures to justify your opinion of which is a better technology. In any case, neither technology can be termed the best for all circumstances and needs. But to decide which technology is better for one's needs, it is important to avoid myths and base decisions on facts.

About the sales figure i posted in the above post,feel free to draw your own conclusion,but it was it is.

But sales of lcd hasn't dropped if anything its has increased over the previous year,while it may be true that plasmas are also doing better ,its certainly not at the expense of lcd sales.
Total LCD TV Shipments to Grow to 188M Units in 2010, to Surpass 260M Units by 2014 - DisplaySearch

As far quoting sales figure i agree that more sales doesn't mean better .But lcd is what people prefer and the fact that lcd with a poor size vs price was slowly able to beat the sales of plasma still means something ,it still a valid point.Some people here make it sound as if the plasma is better by night and day.They still have many disadvantages and cons compared to lcd.
Its upto the buyer whether or not he or she can live with cons of lcd or plasma.
So to sum it up people prefer lcds ,despite plasma being way cheaper.

Panasonic themself are slowly pouring more resources into lcd,they just bought majority of the stake in IPS alpha company,they have plans to or already started making their own panels of sizes above 37".

sony had abanded plasma telling LCD is the future, years ago. these guys invest in the future and feel that the days of plasma will come to an end. thats no reason to believe that plasma are a thing of the past for PRESENT BUYERS!

For the final time, people's preference, which is the same as sales, has NO CO-RELATION with which technology is better. For more, please refer to post #163 above.

All i said was people prefer them,you can draw your own conclusions as to what for,but the fact is they prefer them.I never said which is better.

sony had abanded plasma telling LCD is the future, years ago. these guys invest in the future and feel that the days of plasma will come to an end. thats no reason to believe that plasma are a thing of the past for PRESENT BUYERS!

Sony the world leader in CRT abandoned their own Trinitron CRT tvs.Crt is as good as dead.
Sony sold re badged plasma,it didn't even come with a tuner ,nor did it come with Sony image processing it was only meant for commercial purposes.
Sony believed lcd was the interm solution(until they get their OLED) and they partnered with Samsung to form the S-lcd and recently with another company Sharp to meet their growing demands.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to what companies say in their press releases. There is actually far more corporate politics involved in corporate decisions, than what companies let on in their press releases.

For the final time, people's preference, which is the same as sales, has NO CO-RELATION with which technology is better. For more, please refer to post #163 above.

Though I am in the plasma camp, but you are making a sweeping generalization with the "sales no co-relation" theory.

And "final time" probably guarantees you some retorts.

Last edited:

Though I am in the plasma camp, but you are making a sweeping generalization with the "sales no co-relation" theory.
Irrespective of camps and products, the fact is that this statement applies to pretty much all products and markets. Historically sales have never had any direct co-relation with which technology is better or worse. There are many, many other factors that influence sales.

Irrespective of camps and products, the fact is that this statement applies to pretty much all products and markets. Historically sales have never had any direct co-relation with which technology is better or worse. There are many, many other factors that influence sales.

time that someone posted the bose sales figure with other audio manufacturers :lol: inspite of others being relatively cheaper :p

Let me tell a compromise,no prejudice here,clear logic:
1.If you use TV for SD content,(DTH,DVD) -no confusion,go for plasma.Very economical,42in for <40k.Ya,please do take care of burn in and other issues -for 100 hrs or whatever period recommended.
2.If you are really a person who cares abt detail,let the experts give any stats,me as a laymen will clear the doubt-yes,you "can" make out between a full hd and hd at a single look.So,if you want to see Full HD movies,Games,HD DTH channels,or even connect computer once in a while for browsing..go for FHD LCD.you get even the advantage of care free life (no burn in etc;).You get LCDs from 45k LG 52k samsung 55k sony.

The choices are clear..letz stop the battle..it's time to move on..

Let me tell a compromise,no prejudice here,clear logic:
1.If you use TV for SD content,(DTH,DVD) -no confusion,go for plasma.Very economical,42in for <40k.Ya,please do take care of burn in and other issues -for 100 hrs or whatever period recommended.
2.If you are really a person who cares abt detail,let the experts give any stats,me as a laymen will clear the doubt-yes,you "can" make out between a full hd and hd at a single look.So,if you want to see Full HD movies,Games,HD DTH channels,or even connect computer once in a while for browsing..go for FHD LCD.you get even the advantage of care free life (no burn in etc;).You get LCDs from 45k LG 52k samsung 55k sony.

The choices are clear..letz stop the battle..it's time to move on..

I do agree there is the burn in problem in the plasma, but with a little bit of care this can be totally avoided. All Plasma tvs have some mechanism like screen wash to remove the IR.
My point here is LCD is not a clear winner for PQ, HD and Gaming. May be LED. But LCD has a greater lag than Plasma. Gaming is definitely much better in Plasma.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back