LCDs preferred over PLASMAs when moving??

GeoTracks

I am currently looking to graduate and join the Plasma / LCD club with a HT System. One of the questions I have been asking around to decide between Plasma & LCD is, which is more 'fragile' while moving.

I have been doing a bit of research on the web as well as have been talking to sales people in E-Zone & Reliance Digital. In fact when I was in the US, I also asked these questions to guys in a couple of Best Buys. Consistently the feedback from ALL PLACES has been that, given a choice, if one is thinking of 'relocating' / 'moving', LCD is a better bet than plasmas. Of course one can argue otherwise and may be for good reasons too.

Do I know anyone who recently 'moved' / 'relocated' with his new SAMSUNG Plasma? Answer is 'yes'. So, it is not like 'no-no' to Plasma if moving, but very very strong recomendations ALL OVER are in favor of LCDs; if moving is a factor. Surely we may get a few responses here stating that, "I know y number of people who have moved z number of times with a Plasma and guess what, no issues. So it is incorrect assumptions". Perfectly understandable and also understand that during moving, an LCD or a CRT could be at just as much of a risk.

However, mentioning this finding here, so that those thinking about Plasma as an option may want to consider this point too (moving / relocating), IF applicable, and do some research on this prior to making the final decision. If you do, please post your findings here so others can also benefit.

Interesting... Never heard of anything like this before though to be honest. Guess these days we have to consider all things and not base decision making on just PQ.

Interesting... Never heard of anything like this before though to be honest. Guess these days we have to consider all things and not base decision making on just PQ.

:)

Exactly! Been seeing a lot of threads on PQ, SD, HD, Full HD, Screen Size, Viewing Distance, SONYs, SAMSUNGs, PNANSONICs, LGs etc., VFM, 100 MHz, USB, Panel make etc. etc.

Thought this might interest some folks.

Can't imagine why there would be a difference. Did any of the people who offerred these opinions to you, also offer an explanation?

Probably because an LCD panel is basically plastic while plasma panels are glass and hence heavier and more fragile. But I dont see any reason why we cant relocate safely for a few hundred kms if the manufacturers are able to do the same over a few thousand (e.g. China to India !!). Of course, one is expected to follow basic precautions like retaining and reusing the original packing material (and using additional wooden frames for more peace of mind), transporting it in the upright position and personally supervising the whole process of loading / unloading, etc.

I have a transferable job and have already moved my entire setup, including a 50kg 29" Sony CRT twice for a total of about 3000km (by using original packing material + wooden crating) and based on that experience, see no reason why I cannot do the same with my current 42PV7 in future. Have confidence, all you movie buffs! Giving up on a plasma based on just the relocation factor would be criminal, IMO.

In terms of manufacturing components and processes plasmas are most sensitive than LCDs. This could be the reason for the thoughts. Why dont you insure your move with profressonal movers to cover the costs? For a small amount you could be relatively stress free.

Also you know these TVs have to be moved standing up otherwise the panel may be damaged.

Yeah. Right. Forgot to mention the insurance angle. Cost of transit insurance of a 42 plasma would be only a few hundred rupees - well worth it. God forbid, if there's a damage, the insurance reimbursement (obviously lower than the plasma price) may be enough at that point in time in the future to buy a new and better plasma :D:D

well i two have read this, i believe it was in some UK forums,where a guy showed is cracked plasma,and many people posted the same in that thread the reason is that plasma uses glass and are heavier,where as lcds uses a form of plastic, at the same time lcds can also be damaged,but to a lesser extent.

"Transportation and Shipping Due to their fragile nature, plasma TVs need to be shipped by specialty carriers. Overnight or fast delivery options are not recommended. Special shipping methods and their heavier weight might add to higher shipping costs (although most UK retailers don't differ the shipping price). Shipping LCD TVs is not difficult, and is not as expensive as shipping plasma displays. LCD TVs are lighter and far less fragile than plasma displays making shipping easier."

Above is a quote from:
Difference between Plasma and LCD TVs - Editorial

Agree that with proper precautions, insurance coverage etc. one can de-risk, but point is that, one has to go that extra mile to ensure precautions are slightly more and tightly monitored while transporting a Plasma versus an LCD.

Certainly a point to consider before making the final choice.

Personally, I see the pros and cons like this (dont know about others - to each his own, I guess) :-

1.Transportation involves : Transit insurance --> Self packing --> closely supervised loading --> unsupervised transportation (pray to God) --> closely supervised unloading --> Self unpacking = slight headache for a week.

2.As a reward for the above, one gets to enjoy gorgeous plasma PQ for 3/4 years (lets assume that kind of average for people who have transferable jobs) between each transfer. In any case, once you complete two such cycles, its time to buy a new TV.

No contest, really.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back