Leak 2075 or 3090 hi-fi speakers

hifisteve

In the 70s I spent a lot of time evaluating and even making hi-fi speakers of monitor standard. One speaker that I was always fascinated with was the huge Leak 2075 or 3090 as it became later. Fast forward to now, and I got myself a pair.

On evaluation, I love the sound albeit with the 'over enthusiastic' hf that is probably due to the tweeter that was often reviewed as being a weak point. Otherwise, they sound great on most types of programme. In fact, the 'zing' of that tweeter actually sounds good on stuff like ZZ Top or anything where there's a fair amount of cymbals or tamborine going on. Metalic 'zinginess' sounds great!

I'm wanting to make contact with owners past or present to discuss this type of thing.

I was wondering if there was a 'recommended', 'more sophisticated' replacement for that tweeter should I decide to change it - I haven't made that decision yet though, part of the fun is the 'original sound', though I may change that view in time.

Does anyone have a copy of the crossover circuit diagram? How do you access the crossover - take out the bass driver I expect?

Anyone have the 3090 model? I'd be interested to hear how it compares. I think they basically upgraded the tweeter and added level controls to all three drivers on the upper box?

Does anyone have the handbook/user manual that came with the speakers? I would appreciate a copy.

Does anyone have these speakers with the original black 'pan scourer' grille covering material? The ones on mine had disintegrated years ago. I'm curious to know if their breakdown is due simply to ageing or whether environment plays a part too.

I look forward to your responses if only to say that you remember them well!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back