LED or LCD and more questions

karan_736

26" LG LED(LG 26LE5300 26 inches LED TV) or 32" Sony HD Ready(Sony Bravia KLV-32EX300 EX Series) or 32" Videocon Full HD. what should i go for? i would be using it as a monitor(although rarely)as well, so i think 32" is big enough and i don't want to go beyond that size, and my viewing distance is 7 to 7 feet so even 26" is all right(i guess). Or if anyone know some better deal. my budget is 25000-26000 INR but i can stretch it to 30000 INR if i am getting really good deal. Much appreciated.

Karan, LCD and LED does not make any difference untill n unless you are watching HD Channels, which i have experienced. Infact when u r watchin HD channels, its hard to figure out which one is LED and which one is LCD. LED just have a better Brightness and colors as per my experience.

I have Samsung LED TV and i am also using it as Monitor and i bought it at 27K. For your viewing distance i guess 26" is enuf. Sony do not have LED in 26" size but Sony's LCD are very gud. So go and have a look at all the options u've in ur budget.

Do let us know which one you bought.

Cheers..!!

Sagarvikram, Thanks for quick reply dear. so this weekend i will go to some mall and see em all in action and since you said LED's have better brightness and colors , preference would be get an LED. thanks .

Earlier i was plannin to get LCD but then i saw my frnds LED ans i was amazed with the quality. Thats why i went for LED.

One more thing. Most 26" LED TVs are HD Ready. They are not full HD and they cant play your HD movies as they dont have HD tuner in it. Generally all TVs have USB port these days. So if you want to play your HD videos thru TV then go for full HD TV. My Samsung TV plays all format like .mkv, .mp4, .avi etc so you can also check for the formats which the TV can play but if you've a seperate media or BR player then thats the diff case.

Cheers..!! :)

Earlier i was plannin to get LCD but then i saw my frnds LED ans i was amazed with the quality. Thats why i went for LED.

One more thing. Most 26" LED TVs are HD Ready. They are not full HD and they cant play your HD movies as they dont have HD tuner in it. Generally all TVs have USB port these days. So if you want to play your HD videos thru TV then go for full HD TV. My Samsung TV plays all format like .mkv, .mp4, .avi etc so you can also check for the formats which the TV can play but if you've a seperate media or BR player then thats the diff case.

Thats a WRONG perception that LED backlit TVs look brighter and colors are better. LEDs are there to reduce power consumption and increase the backlight's lifetime. However usually Edgelit LED TVs suffer from backlight uniformity issue and have bad viewing angles.

Talking of brightness, CCFL backlit TVs are usually brighter and color accuracy depends on calibration.

We find LED lit LCDs usually better due to use of better LCD Panels in them. However on the same LCD Panels, you would observe those differences I have highlighted... and overall I prefer LCD over Edgelit LED LCD TVs.

Why is it that people insist on using incorrect terms to make analogies such as the title of this thread, ie. "LED or LCD and more questions"? They are both LCDs, with the difference only being the source of light. If anything the title should read "LED or CFL lit LCD and more questions".

Why is it that people insist on using incorrect terms to make analogies such as the title of this thread, ie. "LED or LCD and more questions"? They are both LCDs, with the difference only being the source of light. If anything the title should read "LED or CFL lit LCD and more questions".
wow! thats technical. but i guess most people(me included) talk in terms of LED's and LCD's being two different TV sets so i just wanted to know the opinions. And believe me i have no intentions of offending that tech geek hidden inside you by referring LEDs and LCDs as different.

Yes. The LG one i mentioned is HD Ready indeed. today i went to a LG dealer located near my office and the sales guy assured me that LG LED supports almost all formats though he wasn't sure of the mkv. And there in the shop they were playing some blue ray disk so i am guessing HD ready does handle full HD but just downscales it. can anyone confirm or deny that please? Appreciated.

Yes, this LG Model does play mkv. I have personally played them in showrooms. It can handle 1080p files also. I think this is the best models in this category. Has 24p also in video menu. I have gone through its video setting its very exhaustive. Audio is not poor either.

Yes, this LG Model does play mkv. I have personally played them in showrooms. It can handle 1080p files also. I think this is the best models in this category. Has 24p also in video menu. I have gone through its video setting its very exhaustive. Audio is not poor either.

oh ! LG it is then. thanks a lot for showing concern dear all . much appreciated. :)

wow! thats technical. but i guess most people(me included) talk in terms of LED's and LCD's being two different TV sets so i just wanted to know the opinions. And believe me i have no intentions of offending that tech geek hidden inside you by referring LEDs and LCDs as different.
It's not about me or anyone else being offended, rather it is about perpetuating the false advertising of the TV manufacturers to fool the average consumer who is already ignorant of the facts. The vast majority of people, including a few on this forum are under the impression that LED TVs is some new technology and which is the 'holy grail' itself. Those of us who are aware of the actual facts, have a responsibility to educate our less knowledgeable friends or at the very least not help perpetuate the 'fraud' by certain tv manufacturers. This is specially so on a forum such as 'HiFiVision', for many people turn to to this forum from technical guidance.

PS: Samsung is the one responsible for starting this whole fraud of advertising LED lit LCD TVs as LED TVs and there is a pending case by the European Union against Samsung for 'false advertising', so it is not like this 'fraud' is a figment of just my imagination.

It's not about me or anyone else being offended, rather it is about perpetuating the false advertising of the TV manufacturers to fool the average consumer who is already ignorant of the facts. The vast majority of people, including a few on this forum are under the impression that LED TVs is some new technology and which is the 'holy grail' itself. Those of us who are aware of the actual facts, have a responsibility to educate our less knowledgeable friends or at the very least not help perpetuate the 'fraud' by certain tv manufacturers. This is specially so on a forum such as 'HiFiVision', for many people turn to to this forum from technical guidance.

PS: Samsung is the one responsible for starting this whole fraud of advertising LED lit LCD TVs as LED TVs and there is a pending case by the European Union against Samsung for 'false advertising', so it is not like this 'fraud' is a figment of just my imagination.
oh i get it now. did a little google and came up with this:
What's an LED TV? - NYTimes.com so its exactly what you said earlier. the article is two years old and since than prices have come down. The LG one i mentioned here is an edgelit led But i have seen both (LG LCD and LG LED) playing same content side by side and it looked better on LED. may be the shop guys have fiddled with the video settings of LCD just to make LED look better.So let me rephrase my question to you : LCD with fluorescent tubes or LCD with LED, what should i choose?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back