LED TV and Home Theatre

Kashi Nath

I am looking to buy an LED TV - anything between 40-46/47 inches. Not very keen on 3D. What is good? My budget is around Rs. 80000. hile I hear LG followed by Samsung is good I am also told Sony is most reliable. Ideally I should have smart TV/ Internet capability, USB ports with Video, PIP and HDMI ports.

I am also looking to buy a Hom Teatre to complement - budget around 30K. I Sony good or should I look at JBL?

Appreciate your thoughts...

Bro, You need to look around. There are lot of threads on these topicd, just search

I would vote for Samsung, but all the brands that you have shortlisted are good. For home theater consider the Onkyo HT-S3400 HTIB with a decent DVD/BD player.

If you dont want 3d then buy off sony 46ex520 led. It has excellent 2D picture quality with very natural colors even though its an led and also gr8 motion handling.

But seriously i suggest that with 80k budget you can buy panasonic 50st30 3d plasma which is superior in almost every respect to all the leds in that price range. Or else you can also buy samsung 51d550 3d plasma which costs around 62-63k and has gr8 pq and vfm.

Last edited:
Thaks very much friends... my intent of looking @ something less than 46 inches is the size of my living room. It is 26 ft by 20 ft. 50 might be too big. As to 3d, its just a value add on paper but I am not keen and also hear one would get headache on watching longer...

Nothing is big enough when it comes to HD Video. I too thought 26" is enough for my room. Now I'm contemplating on upgrading to a bigger screen. Small screens won't do justice to HD videos.

I second Baiju's comment -Small screens won't do justice to HD videos; but again there is a lot to do with each ones comfortableness.

Some people feel more okay with a small TV set on a big room - some people [like me] wont mind with a 60" plasma on a 15 x 20 room :)

---------------------------------
My Blu-ray collection

Last edited:
Thaks very much friends... my intent of looking @ something less than 46 inches is the size of my living room. It is 26 ft by 20 ft. 50 might be too big. As to 3d, its just a value add on paper but I am not keen and also hear one would get headache on watching longer...
Boss, This room is big enough to accommodate even a 60+ incher.

As baiju and srnair said, no TV is small enough for HD. For instance, I watch movies on 102" screen via projector and feel no discomfort.

The human eye vision is 46. Trignometry is something I have forgotten but you can work out the maximum width using some formulae based on distance from TV. Safe to say that viewing distance should be 2x the horizontal width of the TV.

My suggestion is go for the maximum size that you can afford. Afterall you do not buy an expensive TV every year or two.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back