LED TVs: How long do they actually last?

Subcenter2009

Dear friends,
It is an open secret that the latest LED/LCD/plasma tvs are expected to last only around 4 -5 years.
This is what the service guy says if the display panel fails a few years after the warranty expires. After the warranty period expires, the maker may offer a buyback offer with discounted replacement after a lot of pleading. So, we can consider ourselves extremely lucky if such TVs last more than 4 - 5 years since the companies keep introducing newer models each month to force buyers to keep buying as parts for the old tvs won't be available any more. Not so long ago, CRTs were expected to last a minimum of 15 years and were still serviceable after that.

A few doubts...
Speaking from experience: My 42" LCD failed after just 4 years.

Doubt 1. What happens if only a few LEDs in the array fail?
Doubt 2. How long does it take for the brightness of an LED in an LED TV to reduce by half?
Doubt 3. Is it worth investing in a Huge TV (50 inches and more) due to the recurring expense of a few Lakhs of Rupees every 4-5 years? Do Ads of OLED tvs give you the nightmares?
Doubt 4. If the service guy claims that the panel/Light source is faulty, How do we make sure that it is not some capacitor or other easily replaceable part that has failed and if he says it is not possible to repair, then can we approach a private repairer for a second opinion? Are there people who service such flat tvs?
Doubt 5. Is it worth it to do away with the TV altogether and go in for an LED projector at a fraction of the cost of an outsize LED TV? Because it wont hurt that much if and when it fails and also, one can enjoy the large picture...
Doubt 6. What is a safe size that wont hurt that much if the TV happens to fail? Maybe 32" or 42" wont burn that big a hole in the pocket?
Please give your frank opinion.
Yours,
Subcenter 2009.

It seems to be a fact that LEDs become dimmer with time. Does anyone know how fast they degrade? Should owners of LED TVs keep the display less bright to protect the LED backlight? Does dimming the screen help extend the life of the LEDs or the life of the display panel itself?
Yours,
Subcenter2009

It seems to be a fact that LEDs become dimmer with time. Does anyone know how fast they degrade? Should owners of LED TVs keep the display less bright to protect the LED backlight? Does dimming the screen help extend the life of the LEDs or the life of the display panel itself?
Yours,
Subcenter2009

Do not worry. Before the LEDs run out of their useful life, the TV will already be in the heap of trash due to other issues. Watch the picture as you like it.

1. Better to go with the 40" size. You are right, the burnt hole in the pocket would be far lesser in diameter. This size is the best of both worlds. CRT max. available size used to be 29", so 40" would look quite wholesome. Anything bigger, the price jumps in geometric progression.

2. There is no need to view on high brightness. Minor adjustments on the 'contrast' does wonders.

Dear friends,
It is an open secret that the latest LED/LCD/plasma tvs are expected to last only around 4 -5 years.
This is what the service guy says if the display panel fails a few years after the warranty expires. After the warranty period expires, the maker may offer a buyback offer with discounted replacement after a lot of pleading. So, we can consider ourselves extremely lucky if such TVs last more than 4 - 5 years since the companies keep introducing newer models each month to force buyers to keep buying as parts for the old tvs won't be available any more. Not so long ago, CRTs were expected to last a minimum of 15 years and were still serviceable after that.

A few doubts...
Speaking from experience: My 42" LCD failed after just 4 years.

Doubt 1. What happens if only a few LEDs in the array fail?
Doubt 2. How long does it take for the brightness of an LED in an LED TV to reduce by half?
Doubt 3. Is it worth investing in a Huge TV (50 inches and more) due to the recurring expense of a few Lakhs of Rupees every 4-5 years? Do Ads of OLED tvs give you the nightmares?
Doubt 4. If the service guy claims that the panel/Light source is faulty, How do we make sure that it is not some capacitor or other easily replaceable part that has failed and if he says it is not possible to repair, then can we approach a private repairer for a second opinion? Are there people who service such flat tvs?
Doubt 5. Is it worth it to do away with the TV altogether and go in for an LED projector at a fraction of the cost of an outsize LED TV? Because it wont hurt that much if and when it fails and also, one can enjoy the large picture...
Doubt 6. What is a safe size that wont hurt that much if the TV happens to fail? Maybe 32" or 42" wont burn that big a hole in the pocket?
Please give your frank opinion.
Yours,
Subcenter 2009.

It is right that average life of LED TV is about 5 years. But Can you elaborate which TV you used LCD/LED,which company TV it was? How many hours you used it,if possible to tell,how rough or soft was your handling.And did you use a voltage correcting device with your TV? Voltage fluctuation take a toll on TV or any other electronic instrument life.One more factor one mechanic told me is the use of chinese part in TVs.Even brand like sony use some chinese parts for their TVs sold in India,But they never use these chinese parts for TVs sold in USA or japan itself.So TVs "Made in japan" have much longer life than TVs made in India or china.

Hi SubCenter2009

It is a fact that TVs today do not last too long and this is more of a marketing strategy by manufacurers....the key thing is look out for warranty and buy brands that offer the intended use and features one expects.....I believe that Toshiba is good value for money and i spent 21k for a 32 inch last year...with 3 years warranty....am sure it will last me for atleast 3 years before issues start cropping up.....

How is the brand Funai? price for 40" LED is only Rs30000/-. with 2years warranty . Any take on ?

For anyone who wants to watch ( occasionally ) on a very large screen, it's best to buy a smaller TV between 32 and 40 inch for normal use and buy a projector to project on your wall or special screen. Projectors are easily repairable.
I hear that supply capacitors often fail in the power supply. It isn't because they are Chinese made. In fact in all cost competitive products all electronic parts would be Chinese made. No one can match their prices. Remember that most component manufacturers also have large plants in China. Chinese companies also do make very good components in their own plants ! Not everything is bad .....though some very cheap parts are.
You will find top class measurement instrument manufacturers from USA or Europe all manufacture their equipment in China ! Only a few very critical units are made in the US etc. with hefty price tags !
But yes, I would prefer to buy Japanese or American or European brands as their Chinese factory would have stricter quality control AND you can actually talk to their customer service department ! I've also noted that in consumer products Korean and Chinese companies lack the finesse in design that the West and Japan has.
Seen Samsung refrigerators ( not all models) whose top tray cannot be removed for cleaning unless the door is 'removed' ? Vegetable compartment below that 'drops' down when you pull it out ? You have to lift it to slide it back in ? Design flaws like these are unforgivable ! You will never see this in a Jap or Western design. Worse.....you discover all these problems AFTER you buy the product !

We have few TV's @ home

1) My Brother has 42 LG Plasma which is more than 4 yrs old... It had only one problem so far...TV Wasn't powering up.. So had to change the PCB.. Cost around 3K to replace... No issues with the screen... It is lovely...

2) My mom has Panasonic 32 LCD-CCFL TV, more than 3 yrs old... Not even a glitch so far.. Absolutely nothing....

I think we are lucky....

3) we had an Onida Theater 29 CRT... Bought that for 25K 10 yrs back...It was working good for the first 2 yrs, & then it had frequent electronics failure, almost replaced all the parts inside & even then it wasn't working fine.. Those days there was no extended warranty for TV's....

My friend also bought the same Onida TV along with me, it has been working perfectly fine until now... I was really surprised....

So TV failures is that a matter of probability...

good info,My friend also bought the same Onida TV along with me, it has been working perfectly fine until now.
nqpSam

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back