Left/Right channel audio is not equal :mad:

prepress

I am using Apple iPOD Classic 160GB (bought before 6 months) as a source with my Yamaha A-S500, using earphone output and flat eq settings, all music is mp3 320kbps/wave and all are ripped by me using Adobe Audition/Exact Audio Copy and Sony Sound Forge.

FROM LAST FEW DAYS I was noticing that the sound from one channel is lower than the other. In other words the sound of left and right is not equal. I understand there is minor difference between both channels but it was really noticeable, it sounds equal when Balance control set at 10o'clock position. I thought maybe there is something wrong with my speaker's drivers or may be any one is not working on that speaker (can say left) but heard carefully and all were fine so I have changed/swap the speaker cables and found now the low volume is in another speaker. Means there is nothing wrong with speakers.

Then I tested my Amplifier and used TV out as source and found everything is fine, sound was equal in both channels. So amp is working fine. I am not sure if anything wrong with my iPOD, or I should add/use something else as source.
I prefer iPOD because of storage, handy and easy to access. I have more than 16K songs in my library and still ripping my CDs (work in progress).
Apologize for long post and thanks for reading.

I have purchased that recently and the thing is I have already tried to change the inputs (L-R) but the problem doesn't shift, if there is problem in RCA cable then problem should switch too. I think I should use some different inputs like Line 01 or 02. right now I am using CD Input in amplifier.

Did you try with different 3.5mm to RCA stereo cables to connect your IPOD and Amplifier?

I have purchased that recently and the thing is I have already tried to change the inputs (L-R) but the problem doesn't shift, if there is problem in RCA cable then problem should switch too. I think I should use some different inputs like Line 01 or 02. right now I am using CD Input in amplifier.

Jeyraj is asking about 3.5mm to RCA stereo cables to connect your IPOD and Amplifier - Not Amp to Speaker cables which you have confirmed to be good.

If your 3.5 mm jack is bad or the connecting cable is bad you will have a problem.

Since you are using CD IN of amp, connect TV OUT to CD IN and test. If ok, then everything from Amp to Spk are OK.

Test Ipod with headphones, that will clear Ipod as well.

If both of above are ok, then problem narrowed down to interconnect cable between Ipod and Amp.

Jeyraj is asking about 3.5mm to RCA stereo cables to connect your IPOD and Amplifier - Not Amp to Speaker cables which you have confirmed to be good.

If your 3.5 mm jack is bad or the connecting cable is bad you will have a problem.

Yes, I understand that and I was saying I have tried to change the RCA connectors to left and right (sorry if not clear). but the problem was still in same channel from amplifier. After switching the RCA in amplifier it should switch to another channel but not.

Yes, thought about that, will use different inputs to insure if amp is fine.

Since you are using CD IN of amp, connect TV OUT to CD IN and test. If ok, then everything from Amp to Spk are OK.

Test Ipod with headphones, that will clear Ipod as well.

If both of above are ok, then problem narrowed down to interconnect cable between Ipod and Amp.

From all your experimentation we have to conclude that the I Pod, 3.5 mm RCA IC,Amp & Speakers are good.

The only untested part are the speaker cables!

Check them out also.

BTW I assuming that you swapped the speaker cables at the speaker binding posts end.
Do the swapping at the Amp end also to check speaker cables

Last edited:
Yes, I should check the cables too. Will do that and update about the results. But I have tested it by another source TV OUT and sound was equal in both channels so I am not sure if cable is victim.

From all your experimentation we have to conclude that the I Pod, 3.5 mm RCA IC,Amp & Speakers are good.
The only untested part are the speaker cables!

Check them out also.
BTW I assuming that you swapped the speaker cables at the speaker binding posts end.
Do the swapping at the Amp end also to check speaker cables

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back