Lenco-ed! - Goldring GL 75

2. the turntable is spring suspended. The springs will go as soon as the new plinth arrives.
This spring is the biggest downfall. either remove the spring OR put 5 cones/blocks so as to hold the ping frame on the corners sides/bypassing the spring suspension..you should see a jump in sound quality

This spring is the biggest downfall. either remove the spring OR put 5 cones/blocks so as to hold the ping frame on the corners sides/bypassing the spring suspension..you should see a jump in sound quality
You can use some squash balls.

Regards,
Sachin

Sounds like a fun idea to try at home. Are there any specific recommendations for the material of the cone/blocks?
Joshua

You can use some squash balls.

Regards,
Sachin

actually in a Lenco thats the last thing to be done. A lenco does well only in tightly coupled setups..suspended settings are highly suboptimal, unless you already have a really heavy coupled plinth setup.

actually as per the experts (Jean nantais) , taking the topplate and placing it on bricks on 4 corners itself catapults it to a different level for performance !

read this. if you already havent..this is a thread of mythic proportions today on the Lenco.

Last edited:
actually as per the experts (Jean nantais) , taking the topplate and placing it on bricks on 4 corners itself catapults it to a different level for performance !

read this. if you already havent..this is a thread of mythic proportions today on the Lenco.

Bricking sounds like the easiest DIY ever:lol: I just might be tempted to try it if I can get hold of some bricks. But I hope it don't turn up like the time I almost iBricked my iPhone:) DIY does have its pitfalls.

I thought Jean Nantais' Home Depot thread on audiogon was deleted forever by an angry administrator so I never actively sought it. Thanks for pointing this treasure trove to me. There are 1094 responses as on date so it will take quite some time to read and even more time to separate the chaff from the wheat.

Thx, arj.
Joshua

Congratulations Joshua on the Lenco. You are getting very good advice. Please update us regularly as and when the set-up finalizes step by step. Of course we all are eager to finally hear about the sonics.

Regards.

Bricking sounds like the easiest DIY ever:lol: I just might be tempted to try it if I can get hold of some bricks. But I hope it don't turn up like the time I almost iBricked my iPhone:) DIY does have its pitfalls.

I thought Jean Nantais' Home Depot thread on audiogon was deleted forever by an angry administrator so I never actively sought it. Thanks for pointing this treasure trove to me. There are 1094 responses as on date so it will take quite some time to read and even more time to separate the chaff from the wheat.

Thx, arj.
Joshua

that was a disaster, but somebody took out all the juicy stuff and created Part II :clapping:

OK, after going through these threads and the ones arj suggested, I got the idea behind the squash ball thing. The idea behind the various variants of the squash ball "technology", including Loricraft's, is to have a box plinth for the turntable and mount that box plinth onto a heavier solid plinth below, separated by squash balls (which may be the full ball or cut into two hemispheres), or some other purpose-made balls/cones which act as a spring suspension.

For now, I will stick to the heavy CLD baltic birch since it's available off ebay UK for cheap.

My takeaway from this is that some people like the relentless grip on the music provided by the solid and heavy plinth, while others find that fatiguing in the long run, while some are more in tune with the music of the box-solid hybrid. Also, squash balls seem to be applicable more to Garrards than Lencos. The general advice for Lencos seems to be to mount it directly onto a heavy base sans springs or any other form of damping.
Joshua

3. Audio coming only on left channel is not antiskating problem - there is some other problem, most likely the soldering on one of the tonearm wires could have come loose due to the constant moving. I checked phono pre and beyond with another table and it is fine.

Will spend the weekend fixing a slimmer and more compliant signal cables and fixing the right channel problem.

Soldered ground wire which had come off at the base of the tonearm, and now audio is back on both channels.

Couldn't get a slimmer cable so the current one stays for now.

Also the muddy mids has been cured with a replacement cartridge. The stylus of existing one is very much worn. So out goes the M44-7 and in comes another (newer) M44-7. The sonics is now down to the limitations of the arm and the plinth.

I guess now it boils down to:
1. CLD plinth, which I plan to order in coming week
2. new tonearm - I need help and advise here. I can't afford to spend too much money. Prem has confirmed that the Rega RB250 can take the Denon DL103. Does anyone else have first hand experience (or know someone who's done it successfully) of pairing the two? Also, can someone knowledgeable clarify whether the RB250 has in-built antiskate? Of late, antiskate setting has given me lots of pains in the sweet behinds, and I want to be sure about it. How much is an RB250 currently? Last, but not the least, is there a dealer in India for Rega tonearms?
Joshua

PS: the record stabilising ring made by magma recently doesn't fit this turntable. It interferes with the lift mechanism as well as the speed changer knob. So in case any L75 owner is thinking of getting the RSR, don't.

Soldered ground wire which had come off at the base of the tonearm, and now audio is back on both channels.

Couldn't get a slimmer cable so the current one stays for now.

Also the muddy mids has been cured with a replacement cartridge. The stylus of existing one is very much worn. So out goes the M44-7 and in comes another (newer) M44-7. The sonics is now down to the limitations of the arm and the plinth.

I guess now it boils down to:
1. CLD plinth, which I plan to order in coming week
2. new tonearm - I need help and advise here. I can't afford to spend too much money. Prem has confirmed that the Rega RB250 can take the Denon DL103. Does anyone else have first hand experience (or know someone who's done it successfully) of pairing the two? Also, can someone knowledgeable clarify whether the RB250 has in-built antiskate? Of late, antiskate setting has given me lots of pains in the sweet behinds, and I want to be sure about it. How much is an RB250 currently? Last, but not the least, is there a dealer in India for Rega tonearms?
Joshua

PS: the record stabilising ring made by magma recently doesn't fit this turntable. It interferes with the lift mechanism as well as the speed changer knob. So in case any L75 owner is thinking of getting the RSR, don't.

Hi,
Few Rega Tonearms for sale on VE
Turntable Forum :: View topic - For Sale Rega Tone Arms
Regards,
Sachin

dont use one on this..not needed. also most arms have an antiskate..if you get a used RB300 that is even better apparently.

Just saw the thread. Congrats Joshua for the new acquisition. Lucky you.:clapping:

Thanks, Capt. You are totally consumed by your group buy thread;). A great thread, btw. You are bringing a lot of of folks closer to better audio without having to take a mortgage.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back