LG OLED C9 Extended Warranty

fedexp

Hi guys,

Got my 65C9 on Sep1st. After failing to buy yesteryear B8/C8 models in different sales from Reliance/Bajaj/Flipkart 4 times in row over a period of 3 weeks, I finally bit the bullet and bought a brand new C9. Before buying C9, I called up LG about the extended warranty. Being an expensive and relatively fragile piece of AV equipment, I wanted to buy at least 2 years of extended warranty. I was told my LG customer care that the ext warranty, if registered within 30 days of purchase, would cost me 25k INR, excluding taxes. If registered after 30 days of purchase, it would cost about 50k INR (I think it is sort of ridiculous that LG is taking indian customers for a ride here, for a TV worth 2 lacs+, why would you charge 50k after 30 days?!). Two weeks later, I called them today, to buy that extended warranty for atleast one year. Here's the best part - I was told that the extended warranty doesn't cover the OLED panel!! It covers everything else (I guess everything means the stupid stand?). So far, even though I paid with my kidney for this TV, I had no buyer's remorse, because every time I play a full 4k bluray on this TV, it puts a smile on my face - stunningly good on picture. But this extended warranty not covering OLED panel is such a big deal-breaker for me. I probably would have backed off from buying had I known about this aspect. I am really pissed and I feel like taking to twitter and tag some LG heads of India and hope that it changes something for the future.

If any of you LG OLED owners bought the official extended warranty or any better third party warranty, please let me know about your experience.

Hi guys,

Got my 65C9 on Sep1st. After failing to buy yesteryear B8/C8 models in different sales from Reliance/Bajaj/Flipkart 4 times in row over a period of 3 weeks, I finally bit the bullet and bought a brand new C9. Before buying C9, I called up LG about the extended warranty. Being an expensive and relatively fragile piece of AV equipment, I wanted to buy at least 2 years of extended warranty. I was told my LG customer care that the ext warranty, if registered within 30 days of purchase, would cost me 25k INR, excluding taxes. If registered after 30 days of purchase, it would cost about 50k INR (I think it is sort of ridiculous that LG is taking indian customers for a ride here, for a TV worth 2 lacs+, why would you charge 50k after 30 days?!). Two weeks later, I called them today, to buy that extended warranty for atleast one year. Here's the best part - I was told that the extended warranty doesn't cover the OLED panel!! It covers everything else (I guess everything means the stupid stand?). So far, even though I paid with my kidney for this TV, I had no buyer's remorse, because every time I play a full 4k bluray on this TV, it puts a smile on my face - stunningly good on picture. But this extended warranty not covering OLED panel is such a big deal-breaker for me. I probably would have backed off from buying had I known about this aspect. I am really pissed and I feel like taking to twitter and tag some LG heads of India and hope that it changes something for the future.

If any of you LG OLED owners bought the official extended warranty or any better third party warranty, please let me know about your experience.
Congrats for your purchase !
About 4 -5 years back during my purchase i got the same reply for 1080p 3D television which don't have burn life like OLED.
Since it is OLED no surprise here.Panel will not be covered and no spikes ,surge damages as it is clearly mentioned in the additional warranty document.
3rd party warranty again one more trap had bitter experience with them.
Only thing keep fingers crossed for panel issue as I do.
It is running still.

Hi guys,

Ok. Now I received a call from LG service engineer, he said panel technical issues will be covered. But the problem is that the extended warranty kicks off after the general warranty expires in one year. This means, even though I have panel warranty for 2 years, I will be paying for extended warranty just for the parts as panel is already covered by general warranty! I guess if I wanted to buy panel / panel+parts extended just before the panel warranty expires in 2 years from now, they will charge me a bomb. Overall, this whole warranty is a mess! I am not sure if I should just keep my fingers crossed for 2 years.

Although, my TV is not from LG brand, but because of these mess, I didn't buy extended warranty for my Sony TV. They charge that much big amount, in 3-4 years,you will end up paying the price of the TV itself.

Same here. I've purchased the Sony 55"X90f tv last year during diwali season. After some extended research i choose not to have extended warranty and stay with 1+1 OEM warranty.

I found out that you can activate the warranty after the regular 1+1 year warranty expires, meaning, you could have only the panel covered for the second year and hope that parts don't give you any trouble. General warranty (parts+panel) could be activated before the warranty ends in the second year. I am thinking about considering this option for around 30,000 INR. When I bought a 15lacs car, the company did not charge a single buck for warranty and covered everything for 3-4 years. When the gearbox had an issue, the repair cost was 1.2lacs and was done for free. The car might be more expensive than TV, but most of what you pay for the car is taxes - (17% cess,18%gst,14% road tax) plus dealer margins and when you exclude all that, a german car will be cheaper than the LG 77 OLED. Of course, car is not as fragile as TVs, but these companies should learn something from car companies or big retailers in the US. People in the USA seem to be buying bestbuy warranty which covers the TV as good as manufacturer warranty for a fraction of cost. I wish we had such reliable retailers here. Whatever I read about reliance and other big retailer extended warranties, they look like a scam from reviews.

there is no shortage of stupidity at LG.. I wrote to them on twitter.

EFcwqdPU4AE6lM9

After that, I received an standard apology from LG on twitter, with futher useless directions to contact relationship manager whose mobile was switched off. Finally, I decided to bite the bullet, buy 1 year extended warranty at 29k INR today. I called LG service center to ask them if they can start AMC 2 years later (i.e from 2020-2021). I am told they cannot do it as the software won't allow them to do it. So now, my options are as follows to cover this tv till 2022-
  1. Pay 50,000+ now, buy 2 years extended warranty, which will cover panel and parts till 2022.
  2. Pay 50,000 in Sep 2021 (before 1+1 warranty expires), get 1 year extended warranty, live with the risk of parts not being covered in 2021.
This whole thing is such a mess. I can't understand why they can't activate the extended warranty after 2 years and it makes no sense to pay for the panel that is covered in year 2 again!! I just think LG sees India and premium consumers here as dumb idiots who would just buy any kind of trash they sell (ofcourse, the TV itself is not trash.. it is great.. just this whole warranty system is a mess they need to sort).

I was told that replacement cost for parts typically would be 15-30k and entire panel replacement cost is 1.2 lacs. At this point, I am really wondering if I should just take the risk for 2 years and then if it fails in these 2 years, buy that extended warranty at end of year 2 (which is option 2 above). Or maybe not buy it at all, coz if the panel fails 3 years later, I would have to spend 1 lac anyway, so may be just wait some time, wait for prices to drop a bit, sell this for about one lac in 2 years, and spend that 50k to buy a newer model!

So far, I love this TV, do not regret one bit for buying it for the picture quality, but definitely wondering if I should have waited for this technology to mature, prices to come down to under a lac. At least then I wouldn't have to worry so much about failures/warranties.

I stopped buying extended warranty on anything after my first TV since they didn’t cover the plasma panel when there was an internal leak. I have since realized realized with the amount saved over the years, I can replace a broken item and still be ahead. It’s one of the unregulated scams worldwide.

i bought extended warranty for 2nd year with my C9 65 inch bought in August month. I was worried about cost of parts other than panel and service charge for each visit. being an expensive tv for 2.18 lacs i decided to go for it

i bought extended warranty for 2nd year with my C9 65 inch bought in August month. I was worried about cost of parts other than panel and service charge for each visit. being an expensive tv for 2.18 lacs i decided to go for it
How much did you end up paying for your extended warranty?

I have a deal with my dealer who will activate my warranty later this month so I will get the current 3 year complete warranty being offered by LG as part of it's Diwali promotion.

How much did you end up paying for your extended warranty?

I have a deal with my dealer who will activate my warranty later this month so I will get the current 3 year complete warranty being offered by LG as part of it's Diwali promotion.

Not bad... So you ended up paying around 2.48L all in for the C9 which is not bad at all.

But in hindsight, we both could have waited a little and saved bundle looking at the current prices. Feel a little cheated by LG in this case.
ya, i was in hunt for 65 inch tv for a long time and when i struck a deal of 2.18; just couldnt resist it

I bought LG65C9 yesterday i.e 21 Oct. I got 3 years extended warranty as part of the festive season deal. This Extended Warranty is part of festive season offer for purchase done from 28 Sep - 31 Oct 19. The card says that the first year is a comprehensive warranty and last two years is a parts only warranty. It does not mention that OLED panel is not covered in it. Am I missing something?

I bought mine for a very good deal. Extended Warranty was part of the deal as brought out in my previous post. I was observing the price trend for last two years and found that Pre-Deepawali time is the best one for purchase of any appliances. I have posted all the details on the relevant page of the forum. I got 65C9 for 2.08 with a sound bar and cash back of 7.5K.

Last edited:
I own the 65C8. It must be noted that under normal circumstances LG does not fulfill warranty for Burn-in. Panel replacement for burn in is only on a case by case basis in the US, which means in India it will be even rarer.

Hey everyone,
Need your thoughts on whether it makes sense to go in for extended warranty? My dilemma currently is between 65B9 with 1+3 yrs comprehensive extended warranty or 65C9 with no extended warranty.
There are multiple 3rd party warranty providers and Im told by diff dealers (non LG shoppee) that it is comprehensive. Im generally averse to such products because of carious exclusions but confused in this specific case. Please advise

Just to reiterate the cost savings on extended warranty for 3 years and the significance, look at the previous posts in this thread.

LG has a pretty great offer going on this time around with 3 years comprehensive warranty and 2 years AMC.

If we were to get a C9 with 3+2 years warranty last year, it would have costed 1 1/2 times of current CX without any cashback etc.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back