LG passive 3d vs Samsung active 3d...a small showdown.

Read through the article. No "misconception" broken yet. Didn't find anything I didn't already know except for personal opinion of some online blogger/reviewer. I'm talking from my own experience here (lg 55" passive & epson tw8100, samsung plasma with active 3d) instead of quoting some article. Everyone will have their own experiences and preferences. Claiming that half HD res is the same as full HD just coz you or someone else couldn't tell the difference is not right IMO. What next? 720p is sharp as 1080p coz most of us (myself included) won't be able to tell the difference from the distance we normally watch tv? The difference, as subtle or as hard to notice as it maybe, is there.

But in the end, my own personal opinion is that passive didn't feel as sharp and active didn't feel as comfortable. Both in the end give me enough headaches to not bother with either. Like I said in my last post too, YMMV. Both are easily available for demo. Check them out and choose the one you prefer.
I never disagree with personal experience, of course the personal usage exposure is beyond any review or article out there on the web. But this is just not enough to deny the experts or scientifically proven articles about certain technologies on the web and thats what I tried to figure out and no I havent said that 720p is as sharp as 1080p neither I said that half HD res is the same as full HD that was about 3d resolution. And now I thought its quite tough for me to explain because that article itself detailed enough about half image production of full HD transmission to each eye in passive 3d.

Lastly I do agree its a subjective opinion to think of, people are there who feel active more comfortable over passive or vice versa. So there is nothing to disagree or further arguments however, scientific facts will remain same.

As I know samsung series 8 is counted in its latest 3D TV tech, but still I am not clear which "95 series" of LG you are talking about?

I find LG passive 3D to be better, Sony/Panasonic may have slightly better 2D picture quality but if i was spending decent amount of time watching 3D movies etc then my choice will be LG with passive 3D tech.

Thats true, undeniably I am in line with Sony because of their bright picture quality when it comes to 2D PQ, but need to divert my mind for LG passive for 3D because of 3d PQ. I have also tried couple of Panasonic passive models but havent judged them as good as LG models particularly for 3D PQ. Talking about Sony 3D PQ so again they demand for higher damages and leave us with very limited options.

Hence, Ill also go with your thought happily!

I never disagree with personal experience, of course the personal usage exposure is beyond any review or article out there on the web. But this is just not enough to deny the experts or scientifically proven articles about certain technologies on the web and thats what I tried to figure out and no I havent said that 720p is as sharp as 1080p neither I said that half HD res is the same as full HD that was about 3d resolution. And now I thought its quite tough for me to explain because that article itself detailed enough about half image production of full HD transmission to each eye in passive 3d.

Lastly I do agree its a subjective opinion to think of, people are there who feel active more comfortable over passive or vice versa. So there is nothing to disagree or further arguments however, scientific facts will remain same.
Here's the scientific fact about passive 3d from the same article...

Because FPR TVs provide only 540 lines to each eye, its easy to see why many people (and some reviewers) conclude that FPR technology delivers only half of the HD 1080 lines resolution. That conclusion is reinforced when you walk up close to an FPR TV wearing Passive Glasses and see the gaps between the odd and even TV lines in each eye. But its not that simple because we watch TV from a far enough distance that the lines are not resolved and we know that the brain combines the images from both eyes into a single 3D image (the one we actually see) in a process called Image Fusion.

Dont know about you but to me, that sounds the same as my 720vs1080 example. ie Watch it from far enough distance and the difference will no longer be visible. Rest is all personal opinion, preferences and experience. Nothing scientific in that article about passive 3d being the same resolution as active. Please read through it again.

But what one would like will depend on their own preferences and has nothing to do with any of the tech specs or facts. My preference as I've already posted is neither. Both suck to be honest.

As I know samsung series 8 is counted in its latest 3D TV tech, but still I am not clear which "95 series" of LG you are talking about?
Sorry for that. I could'nt get the model right. It was placed right by the side of the 4k telly and am presuming that it should be the latest of LG models. Usually they use the latest model for main demos. I remember seeing "95". Definetly sure that it is not the price.;)
BTW, do you feel that latest models are better in passive 3d than the older ones? I thought it is same technology on any full hd set.

I agree that passive route taken by LG proved to be a success for it though it might technically be less than perfect.
Many a times I hear this from LG owners:
"LG's 2D PQ is inferior to Sony/Samsung/Panasonic, but 3d is very good".

My first TV bought from my own salary was an LG golden eye in 2002. It was terrific and gave Sony/samsung models then , a run for their money.

But what happened to LG now?

I expected latest LG models to be good at 2d PQ.

Just go to a showroom where they play the same 2d picture on all the brand tvs. Without going to internals of PQ, just try to compare them.

I did this when I went to the Bajaj showroom. Again I am reminded of the same experience. No smoothness in the image, resolution loss (though colors are good)compared with sammy/sony.

Why is LG not serious about 2d PQ. How long does it want its fans to say "2d is inferior to sony.......".

No videophile would praise LG for its 2d PQ. And regarding passive 3d they would only commend it with a pinch of salt.

I wont agree... 2d hd quality of lg is comparable to other brands... the marginal diff will be always there betwn every brand.. Calibrating a tv to extract the best out of it is the key...
I feel lg is more value for money and in fact it is the company which is more techanically innovative at least since last 5yrs or so compared to sony,
and with passive 3d tech, lg cud differentiate themselves from o thers brands,and lgs profit and market share since last few yrs is the proof that they have made a mark worldwide...
only time will tell which brand will be able to sustain and grow...

with due respect, I tnink Videophill is a bit of overblown concept now a days since the gadgets have come in the market and should we go with their views, is the real question...i dont mind listening to them , but dont follow them blindly...

fyi, I own both sony and lg and I have samsung crt as well... So I respect all the brands and tech, but I think all brands are just few points here and there , however lg is the best vfm unless one has some wrong perception about lg.... Have an unbiased view and you may find a diff vision...

Last edited:
^

Just go to a multi brand store, compare LG with Samsung/Sony/Philips and report back.

LG is definitely the worst among major brands with regards to 2D PQ. Nobody can argue against that. It's VERY visible in multi brand showrooms. And the reviews also support the same view.

.For charging the glasses the samsung guy(it seems this guy was trained by Samsung.The answers he was giving to my questions suggested to me that he was aware and knowledge about the technologies very well!) was touching the glasses to the display itself. I dint understand that and did not ask about it though.

Very interesting that you talked to a Samsung expert about passive 3D TVs! I would be really interested in hearing what an LG expert has to say about active 3D TVs ! :lol:

Very interesting that you talked to a Samsung expert about passive 3D TVs! I would be really interested in hearing what an LG expert has to say about active 3D TVs ! :lol:

Actually, the LG sales guy(he did not appear to be an expert) was just denying that the PQ was better on Samsung.

We showed him how unnatural and horrible was a patch of grass shown on the demo video, when compared to samsung, he blatantly refused to accept.

We understood that this guy was there only to sell LG tvs and did not care about the technologies as such.
So we went back to the Sammy guy who was ready to talk sanely.

He also said that if one is serious about PQ, one should move to plasmas!!
Atleast that shows that he is sane!!!:lol::eek:hyeah:

Read through the article. No "misconception" broken yet. Didn't find anything I didn't already know except for personal opinion of some online blogger/reviewer. I'm talking from my own experience here (lg 55" passive & epson tw8100, samsung plasma with active 3d) instead of quoting some article. Everyone will have their own experiences and preferences. Claiming that half HD res is the same as full HD just coz you or someone else couldn't tell the difference is not right IMO. What next? 720p is sharp as 1080p coz most of us (myself included) won't be able to tell the difference from the distance we normally watch tv? The difference, as subtle or as hard to notice as it maybe, is there.

But in the end, my own personal opinion is that passive didn't feel as sharp and active didn't feel as comfortable. Both in the end give me enough headaches to not bother with either. Like I said in my last post too, YMMV. Both are easily available for demo. Check them out and choose the one you prefer.

I have read that article - and it is not just any blogger on just any website - it is Raymond Soneira, the founder and president of Displaymate. He is the kind of person that can give masterclasses to TV reviewers - but that is beside the point. The point is - the "misconception" about the effect of halving of vertical resolution on 3D image. Let us take up the issue.

Now, it is a fact that passive FPR screen on a passive 3D TV does indeed halve the resolution - no one can deny that. If you take a magnifying glass, and watch the passive 3D Tv screen with it closely, you can actually see the lines. But, is that how you watch a TV - up close with a magnifying glass?

Now, since we have agreed that passive 3D Tvs INDEED halve the vertical resolution, the natural corollary is - does this have any effect on the forming of a 3D image? Now, I am sure that you will understand that the halving of resolution would matter ONLY in case of 3D viewing - so that question stands to reason. And as per the displaymate article, the halving of resolution does not, repeat NOT have any effect on how a 3D image is rendered. Here, I will quote the relevant para of the article where Mr Raymond says so -

By far the most controversial and misunderstood issue in 3D TV currently has to do with the sharpness and resolution delivered with Passive Glasses. Because they split the odd and even lines between the right and left eyes its easy to see why many people (and some reviewers) conclude that FPR technology delivers only half of the HD resolution. Although unsubstantiated it still seems to have evolved into some sort of myth based on hearsay instead of actual scientific visual evaluation. Many people seem to get stuck on this particular issue and cant get beyond it and think about what is really being seen in actual 3D vision.

But its not that simple because we watch TV from a far enough distance that the lines are not resolved and we know that the brain combines the images from both eyes into a single 3D image (the one we actually see) in a process called Image Fusion. The 3D TV images have only horizontal parallax from the horizontally offset cameras, so the vertical image content for the right and left eyes are in fact identical but with purely horizontal parallax offsets from their different right and left camera viewpoints. So there isnt any 3D imaging information that is missing because all of the necessary vertical resolution and parallax information is available when the brain combines the right and left images into the 3D image we actually see. That is the theory and fundamental principle behind 3D Image Fusion for FPR TVs so next we actually tested it to see how accurate it is and how sharp the 3D images actually appear.​

The emphasis added in the above extract is all mine.

But of course, what a potential buyer sees with his/her own eyes should be the ultimate decisive factor.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back