LG plasma 42PJ560 reflection problem

r42

I have almost finalized on purchasing LG 42 inch plasma PJ560 model and got a best quote of 39k in bangalore.

My decision is based primarily on audio performance of this unit (saving me money on HT) compared to the competition and many positive reviews this model (and PJ350) got in terms of PQ and value for money. The more research I do the more I am convinced about my choice.

However I am bothered about the reflection problem I keep hearing about in LG plasmas. I intend to wall mount the unit facing EAST and in the north is a huge windows almost 8 feet * 5 feet. And even with the curtains covering there is significant light coming through it.

So my question is - how much of an irritant is this really? and does panasonic perform better in bright light conditions?

My budget is ~45k and I am open to ANY 42 inch LCD/Plasma at this price.

Hi R42,

Yes the screen is quite reflective due to the single sheet of glass design. I have a 50PJ560 plasma which is just about 10 days old. If you can control your lighting, this plasma is wonderful. But if you have lots of light coming in directly opposite the TV, then it may be a problem. You may be better off with an LCD in that case, but they would cost much more than 39k. The 42PJ560 for 39k is a very good price. If the light is coming in from the side, it may not be that much of a problem. Apart from the reflective screen, this model is excellent value for money and the speakers are really good on the TV. TV programs can be enjoyed without turning on your AV receiver.

---Venkat

OK as much of a heart break that it is ... it is definitely a deal-breaker for me!

I just checked this link:
http://www.hifivision.com/television/10007-bought-home-lg-50pk550-plasma-11.html#post140821
This is very similar to my hall in terms of window location and the reflection on the screen makes me very uncomfortable!

Thanks Borg and Venkat for your comments.
So you are saying a LCD will perform better in similar(as in above video) lighting conditions right. How about LED in comparison? Is it going to be similar to LCD or better in terms of performance under bright light conditions.

hi,

I am using 560, and have Big window exactly opposite my Unit. However, I am not really considering that coz it depends how much viewing you have during day.

In night, it really does not matter. TV screen will show you all the reflections though its switched off.

Sammy are said to be LESS REFLECTIVE in this case.

I bought 42PJ560 @38.5K without Exchange and EMI.

You will surely not get the speakers which are available with this set.

Apart from that you are getting Airtel HD DTH which is about 2k benifit which you wil not get in any other set.

So make informed decision.

Hi! plz somebody help me out too.i am in the process of buying a LCD/Plasma 42''.similar to the above req my budget is 45k max.i have seen plasmas selling at below 40k but are not FHD.Some LCDs with FHD-i heard are available in 45k range.But don't know what to decide on:
1.Somebody who owns a plasma 42'' HD ready,plz tell me if you find any difference between a FHD and HD when given a 1080 i/p like DiscoveryHD.
2.Suggest the best plasma and LCD which i can buy at this price range.
3.Plz tell about any good offers running in bangalore..(i am even looking for HT with this with the max budget of 60k)

would be grateful for a fast reply as i want to make the purchase this weekend if possible..
Thank you

Re: LG plasma reflection problem

@mehuldil Thanks for your comments.

Plasma screen surely has significant reflection no doubts but how better does a LCD screen perform in a similar bright light condition? Since it got into my mind that plasma screen has a "reflection problem" every time I see a demo I see only the reflection. But the thing is even LCD screens reflect bright light and so does CTV for that matter. May be the new plasma models are handling reflection better and LCDs no longer have the edge?? If there is a video that shows side by side comparison of LCD vs plasma (2010 models) under bright light that will help.. So far I havent found one.

I also believe many of the LCD plasma comparisons done couple of years back are no longer relevant. For example how many of you knew that LG 42inch plasma consumes less power than 42inch LCD?! I was surprised to find out from LG website. PJ560 is 160W typical vs LD460 is 190W typical!

@isisira LG has the best offers this season. At ~45k budget I found 42PJ560 plasma 720p @39k good choice. 42inch LCD normally sell above 50k but LG 42LD460 1080p is good option @48k bangalore price

Re: LG plasma reflection problem

@mehuldil Thanks for your comments.

Plasma screen surely has significant reflection no doubts but how better does a LCD screen perform in a similar bright light condition? Since it got into my mind that plasma screen has a "reflection problem" every time I see a demo I see only the reflection. But the thing is even LCD screens reflect bright light and so does CTV for that matter. May be the new plasma models are handling reflection better and LCDs no longer have the edge?? If there is a video that shows side by side comparison of LCD vs plasma (2010 models) under bright light that will help.. So far I havent found one.

I also believe many of the LCD plasma comparisons done couple of years back are no longer relevant. For example how many of you knew that LG 42inch plasma consumes less power than 42inch LCD?! I was surprised to find out from LG website. PJ560 is 160W typical vs LD460 is 190W typical!

@isisira LG has the best offers this season. At ~45k budget I found 42PJ560 plasma 720p @39k good choice. 42inch LCD normally sell above 50k but LG 42LD460 1080p is good option @48k bangalore price

Where did u get for 48k?

42LD460 lacks a TruMotion filter, so it may not be the best choice for sports or action movies. Also it has only 2 HDMI inputs. If these are not important, you can go for that, and also you could find out if 42LD461C is available for general public. It's a commercial TV having the same identical specs as the LD460 but is 5K cheaper, and probably lacks an inbuilt tuner, which you wont need if you're hooking up to a stb.

If you can increase your budget by another 10k, then the 42LD650 is a fantastic set, and future proof (DLNA, netcast, etc)

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back