Linear power supply with multiple voltages

rikhav

Hi all
I hope this is the right area to post as the component being discussed is totally a DIY effort by a fellow forum memeber @saheb11123

It was planned if I am not wrong more then 2 years ago easily. But due to various reasons it got delayed and finally when it reached me it was damaged in transit and I am not way qualified to troubleshoot it

I decided to give it away and another very good FM @spirovious accepted to take it and I was happy going to a friend and he will use it well

Actually he had other plans. Long story short, he repaired and brought it to absolutely working condition for me .
Luckily no parts needed replacement and even if needed it was no big deal as the PSU did not have any exotic parts

It has 3 supplies
1) 5 volt
2) 9 volts
3) 12 to 19 volts

Currently powering uptone regen and raspberry pi with it

Never tried any high end LPS so I don't know what it can do to my setup but for what this DIY PSU is, it reduced the noise floor comparing to what I used to power before

Rest of the details I would request @saheb11123 to post

I am not comparing this LPSU to any big guns
It's made within a budget and whatever was available locally
IMG-20180708-WA0034.jpgIMG-20180708-WA0033.jpgIMG-20180708-WA0034.jpgIMG-20180708-WA0034.jpgIMG-20180708-WA0033.jpgIMG-20180708-WA0032.jpg

Hi all
I hope this is the right area to post as the component being discussed is totally a DIY effort by a fellow forum memeber @saheb11123

It was planned if I am not wrong more then 2 years ago easily. But due to various reasons it got delayed and finally when it reached me it was damaged in transit and I am not way qualified to troubleshoot it

I decided to give it away and another very good FM @spirovious accepted to take it and I was happy going to a friend and he will use it well

Actually he had other plans. Long story short, he repaired and brought it to absolutely working condition for me .
Luckily no parts needed replacement and even if needed it was no big deal as the PSU did not have any exotic parts

It has 3 supplies
1) 5 volt
2) 9 volts
3) 12 to 19 volts

Currently powering uptone regen and raspberry pi with it

Never tried any high end LPS so I don't know what it can do to my setup but for what this DIY PSU is, it reduced the noise floor comparing to what I used to power before

Rest of the details I would request @saheb11123 to post

I am not comparing this LPSU to any big guns
It's made within a budget and whatever was available locally
View attachment 28595View attachment 28596View attachment 28595View attachment 28595View attachment 28596View attachment 28597
Has it made any difference to the SQ with uptone Regen and how much did it cost

Hello
I am powering both the raspberry pi and uptone with this PSU so not sure which component is making the maximum change

But as I have written before the noise floor has dropped comparing to when I used to power the RPI and uptone with their default respective switching power supplies

Looks like they are LM317. In my experience they cannot draw much power. For dac or regen it's fine. But for RPI, my take would be lt LT1084/1085.

That is a good outcome :)

I still have to try out 'that' LPS. (new Gumby took out speakers etc and waiting for a fix)

ciao
gr

LT1083 is a 7Amp LDO regulator, and an excellent choice for RPi and DACs. RPi itself draws a steady 1.5A current at 5V. If you add a LCD and pen drives to it, the draw gets higher.

As fm spirovorous said, it is indeed an Lm338 which can handle 5amps. Though Lt1083 is an 7amp reg i didn't use it as this circuit has a added provision for adding an current booster MOSFET, by doing that the current handling and heat dissipating capacity goes up tremendously.
There is also another reason for not using LT based devices, it is circuit simplicity, the aim was that in case of servicing it can be serviced by any repair person or tv technician etc.

I have seen that putting a small fan inside the psu reduces heat greatly, as compared to putting larger heat sinks. If you run the fan with a lower voltage, say 5v for a 12v fan, noise is very low.

Fan will lead to more dust also inside equipment
Hence I would always prefer a beefed up heatsink
I can understand your concern though
Bigger heatsink leads to more cost as bigger sinks and cabinet, and would also need more space to keep

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back