List of good drivers for Diy enthusiasts

Missing from this thread is my recent favorite DIY speaker. An ALTEC 515G-8 woofer, considerably better than the ALTECS that preceeded it. ( less colored, better pulse fidelity, clearest diction on human voice, lower distortion ). I sold off my classic vintage 515Bs within a month, after hearing 515Gs. A 16 inch that can play up high into the midrange. ALTEC suggests it's use, NOT over 2.5kHZ. Combine it with a 1 inch compression driver, as a KISS but EXCITING to HEAR two-way.

CUT and PASTE :

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://greatplainsaudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/515G-Series-01.pdf

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi Guys... throughout your diy journey, you might have done so many experiments with differnt drivers.

Can you let us know a few good drivers you came across please???
It helps new people like me to try to build diy speakers.

Just a few words about the drivers .... Like why it is good.... And in which area its good...
Is it musical, or suitable for movies, soft sound or punchy ... mids or good, or bass is good....Etc etc will help a lot...

There are thousands of models out there....
Lets say we mention at least two or three good models in different sizes like 4" 6" 8" etc .....it will be fine too.... just my taught....

Thanks a lot in advance
I can tell you SB Audience (Indonesia) is one of "the few", if not "only" company that makes speakers and is 100% vertically integrated. In other words, no outsourced parts. Everything is in house. The do make Professional enclosed speakers for stadiums and such. But also offer their drivers as stand alone. But do not make full speakers with cabinets for retail use. Only Professional. But only distributor is Madisound. Even so, the prices are reasonable, and they always have some really good monthly sales. Pretty much everything they carry is top notch at Madisound, having other high end brands too. It's just the SB Audience are affordable, and still better than 99% of everything out there. And that includes woofers, mids, tweets. All are excellent products because they are basically "Professional Speakers Drivers". All very "flat" in sound like you'd expect from something like Studio Monitors. For a 3 way full size tower you can spend from around $300 on up. And will be very satisfied. Check out the company, there is no other speaker manufacturer like them I know of. As everybody uses outside parts and components. Not SB Audience.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back