listing my av components for ur advice

swami

Hi,

This is going to be a rather unusual post. Moderators, if you think this is misplaced in this forum, please advise.

I like watching movie DVDs and listening to music CDs alike. I also play games continuously on the days when I get the drive. I would give the details of the items I own. My expectaion is to get some sincere advice as to how I can utilise these to the best use.

TV(s) : Sony Wega 21" flat CRT, Sony Wega 21" flat CRT(new), Philips Eyefi 21" flat CRT 400W(?) pmpo. Working condition is good.

Home theatre : Philips HTS3105 - 5.1 satellites/SW, 500W rms, DVD/VCD/CD/DIVx ultra/MP3/JPEG etc. Working condition has deteriorated - FM tuner doesn't save presets, DVD doesn't play (NO DISC), other discs play fine. Front and center speakers make cracking noise on high volumes especially on Dolby PL2 for audio CDs.

DVD player(s) : Philips DVD 532(?) and 625(?). Both play DVD and other common formats. Working condition is good.

PC : 17" Samsung TFT, 160GB space, Intel P4, 512 MB Ram(will upgrade), DVD RW drive, 7.1 audio out supported on motherboard Intel 945GNTLR(?). Working condition has deteriorated. Need to upgrade RAM and get more hard disk and maybe a genuine windows OS. Really want to explore the audio/video possibilities of my PC, one primary reason why I purchased it. Currently just play mp3 from PC to HT auxilliary input (have to remove the cable TV wire as it makes interference noise - loud humming).

Speakers : Creative 2.1 PC speakers. Working condition is good.

Like : Panasonic mini hifi VK90D (preferred my HT on this, because of price difference).

Dislike : Bose.

I would agree that this is an incomplete post in context to the individual components' specifications. I would provide more details if you need on anything particular.

What I am expecting for now is how I can put these items to their best possible use. I live in a 3BHK currently, to have an idea.

Regards,
Swami

No, I am not planning to buy anything now. I need advice on how to integrate and use these components in the best possible way.

I am little confused with your question. As far as I can read from your post, your two source components - the HT system and the PC are both gone or on the way out in terms of working. Given this scenario, what integration are you looking at?

Cheers

The Creative 2.1 would be just fine for music and games on the PC especially mp3s. You can rip Audio CDs to FLAC or mp3 format and play them on the PC instead of on the Philips or the DVDP via the HT. Music will not sound good via the HT system and its always better to keep movies and music on separate equipment (which you already have) instead of integrating them where you would need to compromise. Coming to the HT system not much can be done if the speakers are making cracking noises unless they can be repaired.

Thanks for showing interest in my post.

Well, I share the similar thoughts. There may not be much that I can do with the HT but to upgrade/repair the speakers. My PC should be (and is being) used for playing stereo sources - mainly mp3; though I am utilising HT system for the output, and for now I am kind of satisfied with this.

I would love to upgrade to a better HT system; but for that I'll have to wait - hope its soon :)

Regards,
Swami
New Delhi

Thanks for showing interest in my post.

Well, I share the similar thoughts. There may not be much that I can do with the HT but to upgrade/repair the speakers. My PC should be (and is being) used for playing stereo sources - mainly mp3; though I am utilising HT system for the output, and for now I am kind of satisfied with this.

I would love to upgrade to a better HT system; but for that I'll have to wait - hope its soon :)

Regards,
Swami
New Delhi

For a budget HT system do check out the Onkyo 3100/3105. Really good for movies and great VFM at around 17K or so. Also, since its not an integrated unit like the Philips you can upgrade the speakers and the AVR separately or add more equipment at a later date.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back