Lit(sub)tle things I have learnt from this forum

Donivlapog

I have learnt a lot of little subtle details which the normal crowd(like me) might not know but can learn kibitzing this forum. Some of them are...

1) An AVR with HDMI board lasts less these days as many circuits are integrated into a smaller area and so it fries sooner or later due to less heat dissipation possibilities. However a non-HDMI based AVR cannot passthrough Dolby true HD and DTS HD MA.
2) Speakers last longer - sometimes even 20 years.
3) IAs are better for music than AVRs
4) multi channel HTs can be slowly set buying components one by one. Like AVR + LRC and then subs and then surrounds and then heights etc...
4) Second hand AVRs or speakers can be considered as new equipments are not going to last much longer too and so can try our luck (although not a rule of thumb but it gave me some confidence)
5) Room correction sound calibration is important
6) Need to audition
7) Tower speakers are not needed for small to mid sized rooms - bookshelves can be great alternative but wood is preferred to plastics (like satellites for example that use plastics)

Kindly add what you have learnt or observed here! Thanks in advance.

My good old onkyo heats up a lot. Maybe because of points you mentioned and mine is installed in corner cabinet (very tight cabinet colum) but I'm dealing with heat by installing two small silent heat exhaust fans on top of AVR to release heat from avr and one exhaust fan from cabinet.

My good old onkyo heats up a lot. Maybe because of points you mentioned and mine is installed in corner cabinet (very tight cabinet colum) but I'm dealing with heat by installing two small silent heat exhaust fans on top of AVR to release heat from avr and one exhaust fan from cabinet.
Wow! Thanks for the suggestion. Very helpful. Could you pls post a pic of your fans pls.

Last edited:
I have learnt a lot of little subtle details which the normal crowd(like me) might not know but can learn kibitzing this forum. Some of them are...

1) An AVR with HDMI board lasts less these days as many circuits are integrated into a smaller area and so it fries sooner or later due to less heat dissipation possibilities. However a non-HDMI based AVR cannot passthrough Dolby true HD and DTS HD MA.
2) Speakers last longer - sometimes even 20 years.
3) IAs are better for music than AVRs
4) multi channel HTs can be slowly set buying components one by one. Like AVR + LRC and then subs and then surrounds and then heights etc...
4) Second hand AVRs or speakers can be considered as new equipments are not going to last much longer too and so can try our luck (although not a rule of thumb but it gave me some confidence)
5) Room correction sound calibration is important
6) Need to audition
7) Tower speakers are not needed for small to mid sized rooms - bookshelves can be great alternative but wood is preferred to plastics (like satellites for example that use plastics)

Kindly add what you have learnt or observed here! Thanks in advance.
Nice culling of points, sir.
Would only add one more thing probably...
8) Figure out what the primary use of the system will be, and nail the requirements within budget. Of course, once you do that, your chain/system will definitely work for the lesser requirement, but not so satisfactorily. But you will be very happy with your primary requirement.
The 50% music-50% HT requirement is a very tricky place. Most people end up disappointed with one or the other. And those who nail it have either elevated this hobby to art form or have unwieldy chains... (could be totally, wrong, cos it is only from my limited experience. Not to start a flame war or anything)

" those who nail it have either elevated this hobby to art form or have unwieldy chains... (could be totally, wrong, cos it is only from my limited experience. Not to start a flame war or anything)"
Thanks for your addition of an important point. Could you pls elaborate more on the above quotes please.

Thanks for your addition of an important point. Could you pls elaborate more on the above quotes please.
Not much, sir.
Once we know what end result we want - music or good surround sound in *our* room with its size and quirks - then the hunt becomes simpler.
(I spent my childhood and young adult years with a "2000W PMPO tape deck" that was just not getting enough bass - it took me some 20 years to realise that the room it was housed in was almost literally three sides open to the entire house :D)

If music is primary, then the road becomes different - Amps, source, proper speakers, and other essentials in the chain.
And if it is movies, then choosing an AVR becomes the most important aspect, IMO. But we can never choose an AVR till we get a rough idea of what our speakers are going to be - sensitivity, impedance, power requirement, etc... So, that is a different hunt.

I would put the 70/30 crowd in the above bracket.
Those who want 40-60 to 50-50 will need to really work hard to achieve their requirement, and balance a system that does stereo well enough and then layer it with HT requirements...

Good points. Agreed. Lately though I have been observing a lot of folks fiddling with analogue music and DAC. I wonder if I am missing something like an art form. And have you tried turntables/venyl music? I wonder what that world means to its connoisseurs.

Good points. Agreed. Lately though I have been observing a lot of folks fiddling with analogue music and DAC. I wonder if I am missing something like an art form. And have you tried turntables/venyl music? I wonder what that world means to its connoisseurs.
You have acquired an AVR that's decently spec'd for stereo performance.
Even though it's old and may be cosmetically dinged, hope that the guts are intact.
You may use this amp to listen to music and enjoy stereo.
It has an inbuilt DAC. So try it out via the optical/coax inputs.
For starters, if you have a smart TV, use the YouTube app or Spotify App (free version) and play out some music.
Take it slow.

On the speaker side, it does make sense to take your time and spend wisely. They will define what you hear in your room.
Passive speakers last long enough to be passed on as heirloom items, if need be :D
Be on the lookout for FMs selling speakers. There are some good bargains hidden on HFV

Cheers,
Raghu

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back