Longest upgrade time

What might be the reason/s? I can think of the following:
- Speakers contribute most to the sound signature of a system
- Speakers are the most visible (and immediate) component to the listener
- We audiophiles engage with the speakers more (positioning, stabilising, toeing etc.)
- They last the longest
- Speaker technology evolves much slower than the electronics

Any other?
Good question ! am sure that each one of your points has a contribution and hence thats why we spend the most time evaluating it purchase and try to build the rest of the system around it ?

Last edited:
What might be the reason/s? I can think of the following:
- Speakers contribute most to the sound signature of a system
- Speakers are the most visible (and immediate) component to the listener
- We audiophiles engage with the speakers more (positioning, stabilising, toeing etc.)
- They last the longest
- Speaker technology evolves much slower than the electronics

Any other?

They are much harder to sell ship or dispose because of size.
They are most visible, wife will immediately notice new speaker has come.
Everyone sees them as most important component, they are chosen more carefully and system is built around them which could be good thing.
Audiophiles know new speaker will change the sound absolutely dramatically so they somehow fear the change more than being confident that new speaker will be better.

This is correct. I actually started the thread to know longevity of entire system rather than speaker or amp, spanning the time when being actively used before changing a major component or being repurposed. It would have been more helpful that way i think. Responses do show that speakers are of more priority and may tend to serve longer.
In that case, mine was the Altec Lansing MX5021 - 10 years

Guys, the thread title is longest ‘upgrade time’. Technically that means the number of years you have been ‘using‘ the product. Some of us upgrade, but don’t sell for various reasons - we either give it to some family/friends or just hoard it. Can understand the sentiment behind this, but the fact is, one has upgraded (or downgraded/side-graded) the moment it’s taken out of one’s current listening systems. Strictly speaking, even if one moves a component from main system to second system in another room (repurposed - thanks for introducing the term @raghupb), one has upgraded with something else in the main system.

P.S. Actually the thread (as explained by @firearm12 in first post) is about the entire system, and not components. But we’ve written about components. I wonder what is the longest serving system in use by a FM!

Mine answer will still remain same. I had been using the same set of audio equipment since my college days, until lockdown when movie theater were closed and I was missing them in lockdown, So, assembled a HT in home.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back