Wharfedale Linton heritage with Marantz Model 30! Or...

Audiolab seems very capable (fav on YouTube) but for less than half the price and with DAC + Streamer included, I have doubts about the amp capability compared to a dedicated analog only amp.
You might want to read my impressions (in a previous avatar) from an audition of the Lintons with Audiolab 6000 and Luxman power (didn’t note the model then). You’d need to skip the parts on another speaker (Castle Avon) I simultaneously auditioned and get to the parts where I commented on the Linton’s sound with the Luxman and contrasted it with that with the Audiolab. If you have the budget, don’t settle for Audiolab.

You might want to read my impressions (in a previous avatar) from an audition of the Lintons with Audiolab 6000 and Luxman power (didn’t note the model then). You’d need to skip the parts on another speaker (Castle Avon) I simultaneously auditioned and get to the parts where I commented on the Linton’s sound with the Luxman and contrasted it with that with the Audiolab. If you have the budget, don’t settle for Audiolab.

Very nice review/impressions log @sachinchavan 15865 ! Thank you so much for sharing.
I think I got the gist of it.. Few years ago, I had smaller wharfedale BSs so I exactly know what you mean. Perfection: No, Details: Reasonable, Musicality: Very nice, Immersive experience: Absolutely. This emotional connect is what am looking for and am ready to accept it as a package as long as the flaws are not deal breakers. I hope the lintons are a big upgrade from my Dali zensor 5s (which I still like)
About the amp, so far,
* no more considering AudioLab.
* even more convinced about Marantz model 30 (power, familiar Marantz sound, detailing might complement Linton well, reviews etc.)
* happy with what am hearing about Luxman and also because it's AB. I am not sure about the price though if within my reach. Also one dealer in my city where I won't be able to hear it with Lintons. Just feels too adventurous at this point.
* Quite a few members who have lintons seem to have paired it with Denon pma2500ne and are extremely happy about it but unfortunately the exact model is not available it seems (in US). This seems to be the closest model replacing it? Denon pma-a110 Found the specs for 2500ne on au site and it looks comparable Denon pma2500ne
* Technics SU-G700M2 looks promising but am yet to understand/digest it's all 'digital' once inside the amp thing. Also don't remember but there was one red flag (for me) in one of the reviews.
* Haven't checked Naim yet
I will be making the decision in next few weeks as am in the process of moving and will post a detailed review.

Last edited:
Haven't checked Naim yet
Might be an interesting option. Usually British amps go well with British speakers. And Naim’s PRAT might take the Linton’s musicality to another level. But a demo should be a must if buying such costly items.

Technics SU-G700M2 looks promising but am yet to understand/digest it's all 'digital' once inside the amp thing.
Intuitively I feel the organic sounding Lintons might pair better with class AB than class D/digital. On the other hand, Class A might be an overkill.

Have you read this?

Have heard good things about Rega Elicit-R. It might be sonically as well as price-wise a good fit with the Lintons.

Last edited:
WOW.. Lintons are good speakers. you will not be dissatisfied.

Recommend to look in to considering few tweaks by Headquarter Audio on xover to make it better, there are 3 videos by him.

I have put GR Research upgrades on my Lintons recently. Please refer this below thread

I use Denon DCD and PMA 2500NE as source and amplification for Lintons. when buying AMP my recommendation for you is please look in to the guts(Parts inside) of amp before buying.

I decided on PMA 2500NE as OEM use all good components inside and i couldn’t find any better options available in India for that budget. I like or prefer always EI transformers than toroidal. The amp is very neutral and will have the EI transformer's character in its sound.

I didn’t listen Lintons other than 2500NEs. so cannot comment how it differs from other amps, but I didn’t find any thing odd.
what is the difference between the sound of an EI transformer and a torroid?

@RahulP
Given your musical tastes, I believe the Lintons would be a great choice. Now, as for the amp…
The popular consensus here seems to be Marantz, Denon and others of their ilk. Over in the US, the Yamaha S801 seems to be a favourite among Linton owners. Do check out the Steve Hoffman forum thread dedicated to the Lintons to learn more.
Speaking for myself, I was delighted to discover a great match with a tube amp. I’ve penned my thoughts in a thread titled ‘Blind Luck’.
Whether you’ll like the tube amp + Linton combo is, of course, a matter of taste. However, since you’re in the US, you have a great opportunity to try one at home. Pick up a Wilsenton R8 or similar from Amazon and you can keep it till end January ‘23, before deciding if you want to keep it or return for a refund.
If you’ve never heard a tube amp before, there’s a pretty good chance you’ll be pleasantly surprised, especially in combination with the Lintons. And if you don’t like it, you’ll know where you stand in the tubes vs ss debate :)

@RahulP
Given your musical tastes, I believe the Lintons would be a great choice. Now, as for the amp…
The popular consensus here seems to be Marantz, Denon and others of their ilk. Over in the US, the Yamaha S801 seems to be a favourite among Linton owners. Do check out the Steve Hoffman forum thread dedicated to the Lintons to learn more.
Speaking for myself, I was delighted to discover a great match with a tube amp. I’ve penned my thoughts in a thread titled ‘Blind Luck’.
Whether you’ll like the tube amp + Linton combo is, of course, a matter of taste. However, since you’re in the US, you have a great opportunity to try one at home. Pick up a Wilsenton R8 or similar from Amazon and you can keep it till end January ‘23, before deciding if you want to keep it or return for a refund.
If you’ve never heard a tube amp before, there’s a pretty good chance you’ll be pleasantly surprised, especially in combination with the Lintons. And if you don’t like it, you’ll know where you stand in the tubes vs ss debate :)
Thank you so much @coaltrain ! Yes, as a coincidence or may be because I was inclined towards Lintons; few days ago I read your thread 'Blind Luck' (will read again now :) ) What an amazing setup you have! wow... Thanks for the suggestion.. (so true about Amazon... although I never have bought something expensive from Amazon unless am pretty confident about the quality; no harm in trying this option out.. err.. especially given the rate at which we buy from Amazon lol).. I will research more about tube amps and particularly Wilsenton R8. (It looks fantastic). If I have read correctly they have the same characteristics like Lintons (not perfect and tend to be warm sounding but very engaging to the point of being hypnotic :) ). Cheers!

Thank you so much guys for your inputs.
Bit off topic: I am buying BDI media center BDI Octave 8379 , which although made specifically for hifi audio gear will have about one inch left on each side in the inner (side) compartment after placing Luxman amp. How hot will Luxman or any AB amp will get?
Again will a tube amp will fit and be fine in this one? Will it got too hot (damage to itself or worse).. even if I keep the cabinet doors open.

Very nice review/impressions log @sachinchavan 15865 ! Thank you so much for sharing.
I think I got the gist of it.. Few years ago, I had smaller wharfedale BSs so I exactly know what you mean. Perfection: No, Details: Reasonable, Musicality: Very nice, Immersive experience: Absolutely. This emotional connect is what am looking for and am ready to accept it as a package as long as the flaws are not deal breakers. I hope the lintons are a big upgrade from my Dali zensor 5s (which I still like)
About the amp, so far,
* no more considering AudioLab.
* even more convinced about Marantz model 30 (power, familiar Marantz sound, detailing might complement Linton well, reviews etc.)
* happy with what am hearing about Luxman and also because it's AB. I am not sure about the price though if within my reach. Also one dealer in my city where I won't be able to hear it with Lintons. Just feels too adventurous at this point.
* Quite a few members who have lintons seem to have paired it with Denon pma2500ne and are extremely happy about it but unfortunately the exact model is not available it seems (in US). This seems to be the closest model replacing it? Denon pma-a110 Found the specs for 2500ne on au site and it looks comparable Denon pma2500ne
* Technics SU-G700M2 looks promising but am yet to understand/digest it's all 'digital' once inside the amp thing. Also don't remember but there was one red flag (for me) in one of the reviews.
* Haven't checked Naim yet
I will be making the decision in next few weeks as am in the process of moving and will post a detailed review.

You might find this review of the Denon PMA A110 interesting.

Again will a tube amp will fit and be fine in this one? Will it got too hot (damage to itself or worse).. even if I keep the cabinet doors open.
Ah, now that could be a problem as tube amps get quite hot. Keeping the door open will most likely not be enough.
If you’ve finalized on the cabinet, your best bet is probably a Class D amp which usually runs pretty cool.

Sorry to bring in another amp to your consideration. Please take an audition of Sugden A21SE. It is very musical and I think it will go well with Lintons. It is a class A amp and has neutral sound with the magic of Class A amps.

Sorry to bring in another amp to your consideration. Please take an audition of Sugden A21SE. It is very musical and I think it will go well with Lintons. It is a class A amp and has neutral sound with the magic of Class A amps.
no worries @ajuvignesh .. more the merrier (till i make the decision :) ) .. flirting is kinda ok till one gets married :)

Experts/users of class A amps ... is it absolutely not possible to go for class A or class AB amp if I have a enclosed 'media center'. I carefully chose this media center as mentioned in my previous posts (BDI Octave) because it's specifically made for hifi audio / media equipment (unlike say IKEA which i love otherwise but is not exactly made for hifi gear)... Of course i will do more research myself.

Experts/users of class A amps ... is it absolutely not possible to go for class A or class AB amp if I have a enclosed 'media center'. I carefully chose this media center as mentioned in my previous posts (BDI Octave) because it's specifically made for hifi audio / media equipment (unlike say IKEA which i love otherwise but is not exactly made for hifi gear)... Of course i will do more research myself.
Other than the perforated screen doors there's no palpable ventilation to speak of. There's not going to be any airflow. Enclosed cabinets are going to amplify the heat. Some use DC exhaust fans on top of their AVR to draw the heat out even when placed in an open space.
If you plan to keep this cabinet unit your best bet would be a Class D.

Class D has come a long way in the form of Hypex, Purifi and the Axign modules. NAD is moving towards Class D, and that should be assuring enough.
I recently compared a SET Class A with the Sabaj A30a and was surprised by how close the Sabaj was to the SET with its smoothness, while still being detailed, dynamic and punchy.

Last edited:
no worries @ajuvignesh .. more the merrier (till i make the decision :) ) .. flirting is kinda ok till one gets married :)
Extending the analogy, isn’t finalising on the media center a bit like shopping for a wedding gown before deciding whom you’d marry? 😊

Class D has come a long way in the form of Hypex, Purifi and the Axign modules. NAD is moving towards Class D, and that should be assuring enough.
Seems like there’s a trend especially when high power is needed. But Linton isn’t a power hogger like say the ATCs.

If you are considering class D, ensure that the Lintons’ strength (musicality and emotional experience) remains unabated.

@RahulP
I presume the turntable goes on top of the console, so why not the amp, too? :)
Indeed.. But then 2 pieces on the top along with the TV kinda defeats the very purpose of buying a media center meant to host hifi audio gear not to mention doesn't serve to enhance the look of the entire system (I have been keeping all the audio equipment visible in custom made cabinets without the doors but was impressed with BDI media center features hence the purchase)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back