Looking for 2.1 setup around 20-25k

gourav

Hi friends. I'm looking to upgrade my primary audio setup that goes with my TV. My TV is 50" and I sit approx 8' away from it. Currently I'm using F&D F550X, connected to the TV via a FIIO Taishan DAC. While the speakers sound decent overall, the bass is a bit muddy.

I've been thinking of upgrading for a while. Here's what I'm looking for
  • Speakers will be primarily used to for movies and TV, with occasional music
  • should have volume control by wireless remote
  • should have optical input or HDMI ARC support
  • should have Bluetooth connectivity as I stream music using Alexa by pairing the speakers with Bluetooth

I'm a bit confused about what kind of setup to go for. Here's what I've considered

• Wireless Soundbar: something like Polk Signa S2. It's easy to setup and has all the features I need. But I hear there's some latency and audio quality is not as good as wired speakers
  • 2.1 speakers: something like Swans M50W. Again, relatively easy to setup, great audio quality. But has not Bluetooth or wireless remote.
  • A stereo receiver: I don't know much about receivers. I guess they'll provide greatest flexibility in terms of what speaker setup I want. But may go out of my budget.

Please recommend which setup will give me the best audio experience.

Also, what is the difference between a stereo receiver and a stereo amp? Can I use an Amp for this setup as well?

For 20-25k Soundbar is good option. But if you can rethink and get 5.1 htib like Yamaha it will be a significant upgrade over f&d

I had considered HTIB and dropped the idea. I know a 2.1 setup cannot match a 5.1 setup, no matter what. But I live in a rented apartment and anticipate having to move at least 3 more times over the next 4-6 years before I settle down.

Besides, there are hosts of other problems while living on rent like complaints from neighbours, finicky landlords who don't like any modifications in the house, wasted setup expenses when you move out, etc. So I don't want to go through the hassle of setting up a 5.1 system right now.

After reading around for a bit, I think the best option for me is something like an Edifier 1850DB. It has Bluetooth and optical input. I can add a subwoofer separately.

I am using edifier r1700bt, which is almost identical to r1850db without subwoofer out and digital inputs other than bluetooth. I would say it's one of the best stereo active speaker setup, doing my TV audio duty from last two plus years and still going strong.
It's should be value for money for sure and you can add subwoofer later if you want.

I am using edifier r1700bt, which is almost identical to r1850db without subwoofer out and digital inputs other than bluetooth. I would say it's one of the best stereo active speaker setup, doing my TV audio duty from last two plus years and still going strong.
It's should be value for money for sure and you can add subwoofer later if you want.
Thanks. I have narrowed down my choices to bookshelf/2.1 speakers with relevant inputs.

As of now, I have Edifier R1850DB on my shortlist.

Any other options I should consider? Anywhere in Mumbai where I can audition these speakers?

If you are looking for surround options, you can consider the option suggested above by @MaSh. I am not sure about the audition options for edifier in Mumbai, I bought it from Amazon blindly. I saw edifier speakers available at therevolverclub.com also.

Edifier R1850DB is being replaced with R1855DB. Can't say if there's any difference between the two, apart from the colour, but 1850DB is no longer available anywhere.

Guys, this thread was made in August 2021 so assuming by this time the OP already done with his purchase

Lol.. I forgot about this thread.

Yeah, I eventually abandoned this and went for full surround which I'm now regretting because my AVR went bust in 9 months, leaving me with a net loss of 50k (AVR+Surround speakers). I'm using it as stereo system now with a used Fosi amp bought from this sub.

Back