Looking for a good FM Radio

ramesh_iyer

I have been using a Philips make 5-in-1 since 2004, but have often faced problems with the FM tuner. Has been repaired a couple of times too, but the digital tuner seems to have a mind of its own. At times it just skips to another FM stations from what I have been hearing in that session. Though I have placed it near the window, it has lot of "noise" in reception, and I have to keep changing directions for different FM stations I wish to listen to.

I seek expert advise on the points below -
1. Should I opt for a FM Radio with analogue tuner (has a knob) instead of the
digital tuner ? I opted for this set as it comes with a remote control. I
presume FM radios with analogue tuners can't be controlled thru remote !!
2. Would be grateful if someone can suggest a good model / make which I can
purchase in Mumbai, India. I wish to use the set to listen to FM radio, and so
any other features like playing CDs/DVDs is optional.

Thank you.
Ramesh

Only if you are residing on the outskirts or little away from the signal covering range or if the design of your FM receiving section of your system is not a very good one, there will be poor FM receptions. Try this before you decide to buy a new FM receiver ...

1) Buy an FM antenna available with shops selling electronics spares. Usually it will be a spiral shaped one (like a mosquito coil) and it will be 1.5 to 2 feet in diameter. Install this antenna on the roof top/terrace of your home.

2) At any car accessories shop ask for a good quality FM aerial cable (This cable is used for installation in four wheelers) and buy the required length.

3) Connect one end of this cable to the FM antenna on your terrace and the other end to the existing built-in aerial of your Philips system.

By this method there will be great amount of difference in FM reception. Good Luck.

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

It looks from your post that there is no storage facility of stations in the tuner. Digital tuners now a days are very good, accurate and robust compared to analog tuner. There is a wide range of CD players/ home theatres with inbuilt digital tuner to choose from. By the way, the largest range is available with Philips.Visit a good electronic shop and pickup one as per your budget.
For week signals, follow the suggestion given by my friend in this thread.
Best of luck

I have been using a Philips make 5-in-1 since 2004, but have often faced problems with the FM tuner. Has been repaired a couple of times too, but the digital tuner seems to have a mind of its own. At times it just skips to another FM stations from what I have been hearing in that session. Though I have placed it near the window, it has lot of "noise" in reception, and I have to keep changing directions for different FM stations I wish to listen to.

I seek expert advise on the points below -
1. Should I opt for a FM Radio with analogue tuner (has a knob) instead of the
digital tuner ? I opted for this set as it comes with a remote control. I
presume FM radios with analogue tuners can't be controlled thru remote !!
2. Would be grateful if someone can suggest a good model / make which I can
purchase in Mumbai, India. I wish to use the set to listen to FM radio, and so
any other features like playing CDs/DVDs is optional.

Thank you.
Ramesh

Yes,analogue tuner can not be controlled by remote.
If you are looking for superior FM radio then you can buy component FM radio.
Alternatively,if, you can source from USA buy Sangean,Kaito,Sony or Degen brand.
These are not available in India AFAIK ,but these are excellent radios.
FM reception and quality is not just a function of antenna it also depends on tuner and sound processing of unit.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back