looking for a sub woofer amp

gr_babu

hi this is babu

i have decided to build a sub woofer on my own.

in parts exress i came across Dayton SA240-B 240W Subwoofer Amplifier with Boost, its cost was around $109, but the shipping charegs where too high, shipping charges where around $ 150 and the total cost was nearly $ 259.

Is this brand available in india. if not suggest me any other brand which is available . (100 watts rms - 200 watts rms)what will be its cost and where can i get it .

thx in advance

Hi,

What you are referring to is called as a plate amp !

Sadly here in India there aren't many available ! the only one available is from DNM pace from mumbai and is of 100W !! costs around 6K approx !

Other then that you are on your own !!

Please let Us know what type of sub you've planned and how you'd like to go about it So that we can help you some way !!

Also please mention the location you are from ! this is very imp as all suggestions will based on the components available locally !

Finally you might be interested in my DIY sub !! please checkout and give your feedback !!

Regards.

hi thx for ur reply

i am from chennai, i have already gone through the article under subtitle The Almighty Subwoofer.

i am impressed, i dont have much knowledge techinically,
i am very much interested in building my own sub.

usage is mosty for movies, i have onkyo 504 amp, with wharfe dale diomand 9.1 speakers, plzz suggest me .

Hi,

Ok didn't knew you've already read !!

So if you don't know much it'll be bit difficult as the box needs to be tuned to certain frequency and the build and other things !!

What you can do is to try with the DNM Plate Amp with some driver ! post the driver and other details so that We may suggest the right box size and how to damp it etc !

Contact DNM for Their Plate !

DNM PACE: Mr.Dilip N Bajaj
#230-D Ansa Industrial Estate,
Saki Vihar Road,Mumbai-400072.
Tel:28474799
Mobile :9820064528.

Hope this helps !!

Regards.

thx for ur reply a

ill get back to u as soon as i recive the plate amp

thx once again

Hi,

Please don't rush into this !! As there are several things that needs to be decided before jumping into this !! first of all you need to decided the driver size (woofer size) then the other aspects like the room in which you are planning to use this sub etc.

The reason is if you plan to use a 12" driver then the 100W will be quite under powered for this and the end result may disappoint you ! The recommended driver for 100W is 8",Now if you choose this then the amount of bass that the 8" inches generates comes into picture for the room size and the condition is directly responsible !! so its all interlinked !

You first decide what is the kind of bass or the sound from this Sub you want ! secondly select the right driver size based on your room size (meaning if you have a room larger then 250Sq Feet then the driver has to be minimum 12"),then decide whether you want the sub to be compact or is it ok if its bit big,coz if it has to be compact then you may have to go for sealed box which requires more power then the ported box design !

Since its mostly for movies the sonic accuracy may be overlooked !!

So lots of things to decide and finilise before you so much as even buy a power cord for the new project !! Please be patient and go very slow with this ! Am sorry to tell you but its not that easy as you think it is !!

Hope you understand what Am trying to tell !! If you have any doubts please ask so that we can clarify ! once you are 100% sure then and only then should you attempt this !!

Regards.

THX FOR UR ADVISE

ACTUALLY I AM GOING TO USE THE SUB FOR MY LIVING ROOM,

ITS ABT 160 SQ FEET.

IF WANT GO FOR 12 INCH SUB WHATS THE PLATE AMP SHOULD I LOOK INTO.

IS THE AMP WHICH I MENTIONED EARLIER ie Dayton SA240-B 240W Subwoofer Amplifier with BooST WORTH IMPORTING BUT TOTAL COST COMES TO ABOUT $260.FOR THE AMP ALONE. IS IT WORTH IMPORTING IT.

THX

Hi,

Ok the hall size is 160Sft,for this the 12" would be more them apt so nothing much to worry !

As far the amp power goes anything above 150 would be just fine ! if you can get any 200W then nothing like it !! but again before you decide to buy any please do let Us know so that we can evaluate the product and suggest you its worthiness !!

The Dayton plateamp is very good in all terms but the price is certainly not !! So not worth and I will not recommend doing that !

If you are not particular about building a sub ! then I'd suggest the Torvin sub for you ! its ready made 12" 300W RMS at approx 16K !

Please do let Us know your thoughts on this !!

Regards.

hi

u suggested me torvin, how abt sw150 from wharfedale its 16k here in chennai. is this sub good enough, plz let me know

Hi,

The SW150 is one good sub no doubt bout that !! I usually always recommend that ! but the torvin sub is 300W and 12" where as the Wharfedale is 10"150W !! So not much of comparison !!

So please give it try and checkout ! if not please let Us know so that we can do something bout this !

Regards.

hi babu here

i came across audiofile plate amp of abt 250watts rms @4 ohms.

its abt $150 including shipping, and it consist of plate amp, seperate controll knobs and a remote.

is it worth buying it, plzz advise

Hi,

Could you please tell which make it is and the spec of it ! or please put a link of that here so that we can study it further and recommend you whether its good or what !!

Regards.

Hi,

The sub seems okay except for the power rating !! they say dynamic power and try convince you that its the preferred power which is not !! so in all probability its not more then 100-130W ! also there's no mention of input sensitivity and S/N Ratio ! I mean nothing !!

But still the pricing and other features offered are good enough to give it a try !

So please keep this as the last very last option ! in case everything fails then perhaps you can go for this !!

What happened to the Torvin sub Audition ?? did you get a chance to do or what ??

Just check this plateamp spec for example ! thats how the usual plate spec will be or should be !!

KGND52100 (1000 Watt) from Madisound

Regards.

hi

thx for reply

not yet auditioned torvin

let you know as soon as i auditoned it

thx

babu,

Did you succeed in getting the subwoofer amplifier for your purpose .

I am into the same search as of yours. looking for a subwoofer amplifier .

Let me know what you had done for getting the passive sub working, I too have the 504 onkyo one only.

I came across the class-d monoblock amplifiers used for the cars, is it worth trying them for sub amp as they are cheap compared to the other mentioned in the thread.

One of the best choices for subwoofer amp's is professional amps. Crown or QSC are some of the best bets out there. The only downside is the fan in them. Some have removed this and for others it does not bother them. But price/perf wise its a very wise investment.

hi this is babu

i have decided to build a sub woofer on my own.

in parts exress i came across Dayton SA240-B 240W Subwoofer Amplifier with Boost, its cost was around $109, but the shipping charegs where too high, shipping charges where around $ 150 and the total cost was nearly $ 259.

Is this brand available in india. if not suggest me any other brand which is available . (100 watts rms - 200 watts rms)what will be its cost and where can i get it .

thx in advance

I am not sure but sony SW amp for cars can be used available from 4k.
I heard it in past in exhibition in open hall,still cld hear the depth.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back