looking for a turntable

I own A Philips MC-170 mini hi fi system. It has an Aux input only. I play my Vinyl records though a old HI Q International but the sound is distorted. Now I want to switch over to a magnetic cartridge turntable. can anyone suggest me what make and model I should use with my existing set? Also can you help me to find used turntables in Kolkata? what are the features i should be checking when buying a used one?

Hello,

I suggest you go in for a Audio-Technica AT-90 Cartridge and Stylus. Pl find out whether it fits your tone arm. I am using the same for the past 2 years and find it very good. I used to transfer my Vinyls to CD. I dont know whether it is available in India. My friend got it from Singapore during his trip. I am giving the email-id of the shop from where he purchased. Please find out whether they can courier it to you. The email -id is "[email protected]".

I hope this helps you.

N MURALI.

Dear Amitav,

I have also used Hi-Q International. That idler drive turntable has a lot of childhood memoried attached to it. In 2007 I upgraded to Technics 1200SL:licklips:

In Kolkata you can have a look at:
1. Project Debut Turntables at SKS Traders, Padampukur Near Minto Park
They also stock cartridges, hi-fi speakers. If they don't have something ready request them and they will get it for you from Nova Audio Mumbai (Project Dealer in India). I got my Project Phono Box that way :cool:
2. Denon Turntables at ProFX Hindutan Road
3. (Used Turntables) Metro Gali in Dharamtolla, there is a shop which caters to vintage Hi-Fi. But be ready to bargain and carefully check the product
4. For Shure cartridges Dey's Electronics in Chandni Chowk

5. As Murali suggested, it would be best if you get your stuff from HinHuat Singapore. Be it belt/direct drive. It will be cheaper in Sg.

I have PM'd you my number, if need be call me up for further info.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Prateek

Dear Amitav,

I have also used Hi-Q International. That idler drive turntable has a lot of childhood memoried attached to it. In 2007 I upgraded to Technics 1200SL:licklips:
Prateek

Hello Prateek

I only see the technics sl-1200 TT with 120V AC on the net. Is there a version that runs on 230V also?
Did you get the mkII or MK5 ?How much did the TT cost?

TIA
Regards

I only see the technics sl-1200 TT with 120V AC on the net. Is there a version that runs on 230V also?

Hi TIA,

Mine is 1210 MK2, it is the same as 1200MK2 but black in color. These have a voltage selector switch for international market, underneath the platter.
I got them from Guitar Centre, USA for apporx INR 21k.
My brother brought it along. Became a separate piece of luggage:p

Regds,
Prateek

Thanks. How do you rate this TT?

Regards

You are welcome, here are my 22 cents.
My idea was to go for a turntable which will require least of maintenance. No fuss like belt wear n all.
The TT does its job exceptionally well.
I simply wanted to enjoy my music, ain't no audiophool ;)
There is a huge debate on direct vs belt drive, if you are used to a belt/idler drive you may not like the output at first.
Pair it with laid back cartridge like shure m97xe and it sounds really good.
This table is capable of exposing mastering defects. Eg. play LP of Amitabh Bachhan starrer "Yaraana" (GateFold sleeve)
on this one & you will easily know what I mean.

The tonearm can be upgraded with rega origin live, but don't have the moolah to try that out.
No sound coloration, spot on 33 1/3, fully adjustable tonearm, super heavy platter.
Even the turntable mat design has been done that way for proper reason.
Play an LP with inverted mat, the difference is noticeable.

Regards,
Prateek

Nice. So a direct drive vs belt drive have different sound characteristics!!

Here is a pic of a TT that made me melt and become all jelly kneed at the same time feel exhilarated the next moment! :yahoo:

You can see more here: 6moons audio reviews: Garrard Project 3

Regards

Last edited:
Hi
Whichever magnetic Cartridge TT you purchase check for compatibility. As signal voltage is low from magnetic cartridge your aux input will not be compatible for it. you will need to get output from TT to preamplifier then to AUX input.
Best way will be if you have access to any magnetic Cartridge TT (your friend's or any other source) connect it to your system and see if its working.
Lots of time after contineous use cartridges dont give you same performance. so other option will be to replace old cartridge and see if sound improves, though comparatively magnetic cartridge will give you better performance.
Hope this is helpful
Regards
Hiten

Dear Amitav,

In Kolkata you can have a look at:
1. Project Debut Turntables at SKS Traders, Padampukur Near Minto Park
They also stock cartridges, hi-fi speakers. If they don't have something ready request them and they will get it for you from Nova Audio Mumbai (Project Dealer in India). I got my Project Phono Box that way :cool:
2. Denon Turntables at ProFX Hindutan Road
3. (Used Turntables) Metro Gali in Dharamtolla, there is a shop which caters to vintage Hi-Fi. But be ready to bargain and carefully check the product
4. For Shure cartridges Dey's Electronics in Chandni Chowk

5. As Murali suggested, it would be best if you get your stuff from HinHuat Singapore. Be it belt/direct drive. It will be cheaper in Sg.

I have PM'd you my number, if need be call me up for further info.
Hope this helps.

Regards,
Prateek

Thanks for your suggestions. I have already visited PRO FX and checked the Denon TTs. They are equipped with a Phono Equaliser and hence can be directly played through aux-in. But the problem is that the lower versions fit only Denon cartridges.
I will also visit SXS Traders and regarding Metro Gali, I am very scared to purchase one from there.
Actually my budget is INR 10k. Hope I find a TT with universal cartridge tone arm in this budget.

Regards
Amitava

Actually my budget is INR 10k. Hope I find a TT with universal cartridge tone arm in this budget.

Regards
Amitava

Hi,

In Metro Gali I once saw a landmark Pioneer TT model, they were selling it for 9000. But I too was afraid to make a purchase.
If you need GP-215 cartridge I can supply you with one.

If I may suggest, go for the Project series. They start from 15k. Plus they have a universal mount phono cart. Their Preamp is for 5k. else SiA 102R can also do the job, it has a phono input also.

Regards,
Prateek

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion. I am intending to buy a SIA102R with Sonus 2605 V2. Also can you give me any idea of the company named "SHERWOOD"? I found a TT of this company with a dealer in kolkata. Its a belt drive, with stroboscope and an universal mount cartridge. It also suits my budget. Here is an address of that product: Sherwood Europe | Manual Phonograph for Analogphile with Pitch Control
regards,
Amitava

Hi,
Thanks for your suggestion. I am intending to buy a SIA102R with Sonus 2605 V2. Also can you give me any idea of the company named "SHERWOOD"? I found a TT of this company with a dealer in kolkata. Its a belt drive, with stroboscope and an universal mount cartridge. It also suits my budget. Here is an address of that product: Sherwood Europe | Manual Phonograph for Analogphile with Pitch Control
regards,
Amitava

Hi Amitava,

The Sherwood's are budget products, the quality is okay with me. About the turntable now. First Impressions:
(+)
Belt drive
Stroboscope with pitch control (this will let you keep the rpm steady at 33/45)

(-)
Look alike of Technics 1200 (what was the need sherwood? could have stood on your own):p
Detachable headshell (if you belong to direct drive haters, then you know what I mean)

You can buy this table for your setup, but in the looks department you can't beat a Project. Please do tell me about the Sonus Setup with 102R, myself planning to take the plunge.

Hope this helps.
Prateek

Hi,
Actually I am not a very acquainted with these turntables. So please do write to me cleary about any negatives of the set.
Regarding Sonus 2605 V2 and SIA 102R, I had got the view at Sonodyne Listening Room in Kolkata. The SIA 102R has 5 inputs(including phono in) and 5 outputs. You may connect it to 2 Speakers(100W rmsX2 4 ohms) or 4 speakers(80W rmsX4 8ohms), as you wish. Also it has a Powered subwoofer out. and about Sonus, I listened to 2 models eg:1601 & 2605V2. the 1601 (85W) was a 2 way speaker system while the 2605 (130W) a 4 way. the later was a real thing to me. the sound was very clear and the notes very distinctive even at very low volume.
I also hve listened to a Denon Amplifier (PMA500AE) clubbed with Polk Audio Speaker system (Monitor 50), bth sets sharing the same price tag but found the sonodyne with 2605 better.
For details about the sonodyne you may log onto their site Sonodyne
regards,
Amitava

Hello Prateek

TIA
Regards

You have to use a good quality step down tranfformer which is easily available

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back