Looking for an "ultra" budget amp for my vintage Akai SW-155 speakers

dafreaking

So this set of speakers has been in the family for over 40 years! Haven't been used in almost 15 years after the last amp they were used with went kaput. I'm looking for an ultra budget amp to drive them to first and foremost see what condition they are in. Then figure out if they can be restored (if required) to proper working condition.

This is what the back looks like.

WhatsApp Image 2023-09-18 at 9.31.12 PM.jpeg

Impedance of 8 ohms and a max power input of 50 watts. I don't need these to be super loud but would like to check the performance at say a max of 75% volume.

Will any of the cheaper Aiyima/Fosi amps suffice?

Why not spend just 1550 and buy this

All you need is a 12 to 24v dc supply.. 24v would give best output (rather any old laptop adaptor would do)
This works from 2ohm to 8ohms I guess..

Otherwise
Get the aiyima A07
Deal of the day: AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Power Amplifier 300Wx2 HiFi Class D Stereo Digital Audio Amp 2.0 Channel Amplifier for Passive Speaker Home Audio (Without Power Adapter) https://amzn.eu/d/aOtIMJw

At 5130/ after discount and buy a power 24v to 42v power supply to go with it

Thanks. I was also looking at the A07pro (as it adds the "luxury" of BT) from Thailand which I can get for like 6.6K. including ze power supply

Will probably order the XY-T100L in the meantime to see if the the speakers are working

Last edited:
Look at the sound King amps, solid state transistor based amps. Just the right thing for old speakers like these.

Ugh.. the speakers are quite screwed up and it seems the cost and work involved in restoring them just won't be worth it

So you planning to give away the speakers for someone else to fiddle with?
sure... If they can collect them from Gurgaon..why not. They are huge and heavy. Now looking for "pre-loved" speakers under 10k but seem to have zero options

So this set of speakers has been in the family for over 40 years! Haven't been used in almost 15 years after the last amp they were used with went kaput. I'm looking for an ultra budget amp to drive them to first and foremost see what condition they are in. Then figure out if they can be restored (if required) to proper working condition.

This is what the back looks like.

View attachment 80904

Impedance of 8 ohms and a max power input of 50 watts. I don't need these to be super loud but would like to check the performance at say a max of 75% volume.

Will any of the cheaper Aiyima/Fosi amps suffice?
Akai stereo vintage amplifier available @ Bangalore

So due to logistical reasons the fm who was going to take these speakers is not able to. If you can pick this up from Gurgaon post the 3rd of Jan please PM me. Otherwise they will goto the local kabadiwala

I have a the same unit, similar story been in th efamily for many years and was also thinking they might be restored. How did you test?

Hooked them up to an amp. Then removed the front grill of one. Saw the mid was torn. Then no bass from the 2nd one. Screws were pretty rusty. This has been given away to a forum member. At the end of the day the time and money required to get them back to a working condition just wasn;t worth it for me

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back