Looking for Engineers who can build Class A SS amplifier

Pratyush J

Friends, I appreciate all of your PMs and advice in my quest for Class A. I have the following choices as of now:

• Pass Lab Class A starting 11L
  • Invention Audio 10 W@8 Power + Tube Pre – 2.0 + 1.4L
  • Invention Audio 20 W@8 Power + Tube Pre – 4.0 + 1.4L
  • Sugden A21SE 30 W@8 / 40@4 Integrated – 4.55L
  • Sugden A21 23 W@8 Integrated – 3.41L
  • Indiqaudio Signature 20 W @8 / 40 @4 Integrated dual mono – 1.94L
  • Get it built from DIY guys
Of the above, 1), 3), 4) are beyond my budget.

Choosing solid-state class A over tubes according to what I've read, tubes have the inherent disadvantage of weakening over time and ageing. Additionally, tubes have a problem with tube rolling itch and an impedance mismatch with commercially available PRE. They function best with a horn and full range is what I have read. Since they are often offered at lower power, it is unknown how well they will complement standard 3-way speakers. Additionally, I am strongly leaning towards SS class A as there are no unknowns because I conducted an A/B test with class AB and A and observed the difference it brings out of my tower speakers. I have never thought of 7) seriously before.

Since DIY has popped up based on the suggestions, I would like to get a feel of the price, timelines, and specs of the amp done by DIY individuals as I have time until July 31 to cancel the order with Indiq if I get a similar product at lesser price. Would greatly appreciate if anyone who is interested could PM me the information.

I'm looking for an integrated amp instead of pre + power combo, which brings a single box solution, that is 20 to 30 W at 8 ohms with source selection, phono stage, and standard protections. If possible, one of the Pass designs as I have read some of the threads on DIYAudio and those designs are highly revered. I would want the best components and OEM type finish as for me visual appeal is important too. Thanks once again for all the advice and the support this forum has provided

- Pratyush

Friends, I appreciate all of your PMs and advice in my quest for Class A. I have the following choices as of now:

• Pass Lab Class A starting 11L
  • Invention Audio 10 W@8 Power + Tube Pre – 2.0 + 1.4L
  • Invention Audio 20 W@8 Power + Tube Pre – 4.0 + 1.4L
  • Sugden A21SE 30 W@8 / 40@4 Integrated – 4.55L
  • Sugden A21 23 W@8 Integrated – 3.41L
  • Indiqaudio Signature 20 W @8 / 40 @4 Integrated dual mono – 1.94L
  • Get it built from DIY guys
Of the above, 1), 3), 4) are beyond my budget.

Choosing solid-state class A over tubes according to what I've read, tubes have the inherent disadvantage of weakening over time and ageing. Additionally, tubes have a problem with tube rolling itch and an impedance mismatch with commercially available PRE. They function best with a horn and full range is what I have read. Since they are often offered at lower power, it is unknown how well they will complement standard 3-way speakers. Additionally, I am strongly leaning towards SS class A as there are no unknowns because I conducted an A/B test with class AB and A and observed the difference it brings out of my tower speakers. I have never thought of 7) seriously before.

Since DIY has popped up based on the suggestions, I would like to get a feel of the price, timelines, and specs of the amp done by DIY individuals as I have time until July 31 to cancel the order with Indiq if I get a similar product at lesser price. Would greatly appreciate if anyone who is interested could PM me the information.

I'm looking for an integrated amp instead of pre + power combo, which brings a single box solution, that is 20 to 30 W at 8 ohms with source selection, phono stage, and standard protections. If possible, one of the Pass designs as I have read some of the threads on DIYAudio and those designs are highly revered. I would want the best components and OEM type finish as for me visual appeal is important too. Thanks once again for all the advice and the support this forum has provided

- Pratyush
There was an Used Accuphase E650 integrated amplifier for 7.5L (Negotiable) few days ago in the hifi circles...

There's a Brand new Eam Labs Class A (Element 260 integrated) available well under 5L from Oceanic Sound Pune

In a Pre power setup synergy is very important, so buy a combination with well known synergy or after listening thoroughly ; Alternatively well built integrated should be a good option.

Thanks. Are they on this forum? Seeing the size of the Amp chassis in the video is it really a pure class A?
Aniket Das is @adas and the video seems to be a 8 to 10W class A amp.

Note I dont have any affiliation or any thing to do with these guys, its Just and FYI

Last edited:
Another diy class A done here by FM @Lionx see his thread

Another diy class A done here by FM @Lionx see his thread

A dear friend of mine and could have been my first preference

You know
There is a reason why pass discountiued
Their pure class A integrated right ??

There is a reason
Why the big guys who do pure class A over 30wats DONT make an integrated

There is a very considerable drop in the preamp function
When the heat goes above a threshold within the cabinet

Krell , levinsons , they all use heavy heasinking for reliability since they need to offer warranties for a long time

Every one wants a one box solution
Throwing in a preamp circuit in a 30w pure class a is not difficult
But there is going to be a tradeoff
Just because you want a one box unit

Again don't gete wrong
There are a few like sugden who do
Do it
But most of the bigger guys running pure class a have stopped the one box

You know
There is a reason why pass discountiued
Their pure class A integrated right ??

There is a reason
Why the big guys who do pure class A over 30wats DONT make an integrated

There is a very considerable drop in the preamp function
When the heat goes above a threshold within the cabinet

Krell , levinsons , they all use heavy heasinking for reliability since they need to offer warranties for a long time

Every one wants a one box solution
Throwing in a preamp circuit in a 30w pure class a is not difficult
But there is going to be a tradeoff
Just because you want a one box unit

Again don't gete wrong
There are a few like sugden who do
Do it
But most of the bigger guys running pure class a have stopped the one box
From technical stand point, I'll leave it up to the engineers or designers to worry about the longevity and stability, etc as long as there is a warranty and support on it. The other most important aspect that I and majority of users would care is the practicality.

Some thoughts:
1) Bulky equipment does not go well with the home minister from the perspective of a typical Indian room setup, which becomes a constant source of friction sometimes leading to sale of our newly acquired gear.
2) Pre + Power with a bigger foot print although may look cool, would need a dedicated rack, which again adds to the cost. And more than cost I need to compromise on placement.
3) Being Class A, I think the sides and top of Amp has to be kept clear for ventilation which does not allow us stacking Pre on the top hence more rack space is consumed.
4) We cannot use entry level RCA or Power cables for such expensive combo, so an additional high end interconnect pair and additional power cable for the Pre adds to the cost and results in a lot of cables which becomes an eye sore. And as per some reviews, extra cables picking up EMI / RFI is a risk too but I am not sure how much this is relevant in normal household.
5) Something which I never have in sufficiency are spare power wall outlets. So with Pre+Power combo, i loose one more outlet. A spike buster or a distributor may work , but again comes the issue of space and funds !.
6) Last but not the least moving it around being super heavy.

I cannot comment on the sonic difference between a Class A combo (Pre + Power) Vs Class A Integrated as I don’t have access to both of them at the same place to test out. Technically Pre – Power might be superior by how much I really cannot judge, but practicality is where it falls flat, at least for me.

Either case, I see some sacrifices made, and some gains achieved. So no win win combo here. For me, main aspect is how it sounds rather than all the technical funda of THD, Noise, etc etc.. Plus practicality

From technical stand point, I'll leave it up to the engineers or designers to worry about the longevity and stability, etc as long as there is a warranty and support on it. The other most important aspect that I and majority of users would care is the practicality.

Some thoughts:
1) Bulky equipment does not go well with the home minister from the perspective of a typical Indian room setup, which becomes a constant source of friction sometimes leading to sale of our newly acquired gear.
2) Pre + Power with a bigger foot print although may look cool, would need a dedicated rack, which again adds to the cost. And more than cost I need to compromise on placement.
3) Being Class A, I think the sides and top of Amp has to be kept clear for ventilation which does not allow us stacking Pre on the top hence more rack space is consumed.
4) We cannot use entry level RCA or Power cables for such expensive combo, so an additional high end interconnect pair and additional power cable for the Pre adds to the cost and results in a lot of cables which becomes an eye sore. And as per some reviews, extra cables picking up EMI / RFI is a risk too but I am not sure how much this is relevant in normal household.
5) Something which I never have in sufficiency are spare power wall outlets. So with Pre+Power combo, i loose one more outlet. A spike buster or a distributor may work , but again comes the issue of space and funds !.

I cannot comment on the sonic difference between a Class A combo (Pre + Power) Vs Class A Integrated as I don’t have access to both of them at the same place to test out. Technically Pre – Power might be superior by how much I really cannot judge, but practicality is where it falls flat, at least for me.

Either case, I see some sacrifices made, and some gains achieved. So no win win combo here. For me, main aspect is how it sounds rather than all the technical funda of THD, Noise, etc etc.. Plus practicality
Get a DAC with volume control, it would work as your pre amp and if you find some good preamps afterwards, you could still attach them in your chain and get the colouration you crave in your sound.

Get a DAC with volume control, it would work as your pre amp and if you find some good preamps afterwards, you could still attach them in your chain and get the colouration you crave in your sound.
This is infact what most people with single sources do

Some thoughts:

Pre and power gives you lush and thicker sound compared to a integrated imho.

Hi Pratyush, have you already acquired your SS Class A?
If not you can also consider Anode Acoustics SS amp made by Nitin Kaushik as one of your options

Hi Pratyush, have you already acquired your SS Class A?
If not you can also consider Anode Acoustics SS amp made by Nitin Kaushik as one of your options
Hi @somdas823, SS Integrated class A and Signature 2.0 from indiqaudio are already ordered. They are anticipated to arrive by October 28. Will post my review post that

Last edited:
Hi @somdas823, SS Integrated class A and Signature 2.0 from indiqaudio are already ordered. They are anticipated to arrive by October 28. Will post my review post that
Congratulations on your selection of Saptak+Signature. I am already enjoying my custom made Mishras for sometime now. I am sure Amit understood your expectation in detail and suggested for that combination. Would love to hear your side of the story.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back