Looking for sub-woofer suggestions to complete a 5.0 setup

pretzels

Hi all,

I'm looking for suggestions for a subwoofer, budget range of 30-40k.

Was exploring brands like Yamaha, BIC, Elac, etc. However, the dealer is pushing Taga Harmony platinum SW10 which falls in the budget and def tech prosub 1000 (which is a little more expensive at around 50k). I'm a bit wary of the brands the dealer is recommending as I've seen some negative reviews on Taga and Deftech on forums.

Please suggest which ones are worth considering. I'm not a fan of boomy bass which lingers around. Looking for depth and tightness.

Also, is it worth moving up my budget to an SVS SB1000, I'm not an audiophile by any means and this is my first HT setup.

My usage would be 70% Movies, 30% music. Room size is 12x25 with the HT setup on the width (smaller) side, and distance from the speaker around 12-14 feet.

Planned setup:
I've ordered Polk signature series 5.0 speakers
R/L S55
Center S30
Surrounds S10

AVR: Looking to get my hands on a Yamaha rx-v6a 7.2 channel AVR.

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Was exploring brands like Yamaha, BIC, Elac, etc. However, the dealer is pushing Taga Harmony platinum SW10 which falls in the budget and def tech prosub 1000 (which is a little more expensive at around 50k). I'm a bit wary of the brands the dealer is recommending as I've seen some negative reviews on Taga and Deftech on forums.

Please suggest which ones are worth considering. I'm not a fan of boomy bass which lingers around. Looking for depth and tightness.

Also, is it worth moving up my budget to an SVS SB1000, I'm not an audiophile by any means and this is my first HT setup.

My usage would be 70% Movies, 30% music. Room size is 12x25 with the HT setup on the width (smaller) side, and distance from the speaker around 12-14 feet.

Planned setup:
R/L S55
Center S30
Surrounds S10

Thanks in advance!
My suggestion is to consider SVS pb1000 rather than sb1000 for your requirement.
Increase the budget little more and go for pb1000. It's got 5 years warranty for the sub and the amplifier. You will also get good resale value in case you want to upgrade later.

12X25 is already a HUGE room for a Subwoofer to fill bass in, don't settle below PB 1000
Keep an eye on OLX and the Sale section on forum here, sometimes you get very reasonable offer for pre-owned ones.

Hi all,

Planned setup:
R/L S55
Center S30
Surrounds S10

Thanks in advance!
Hi sir # I have tannoy subwoofer with original packaging box daul drives # model tannoy TS 2.8 # 110 voltage &230 voltage system. Mint condition . Available in Bangalore.

Hi all,

Planned setup:
R/L S55
Center S30
Surrounds S10

Thanks in advance!

Look at BIC America or Polk HTS 12..HTS 10 may also do the trick.

Yamaha SW315 is also good.

SVS is a hot favourite and is indeed expensive unless you strike a good deal with a known dealer and get the 5 years official warranty

Audition and decide with your favourite music / movie clip

If you can extend till SVS - nothing like that. But, as you have honestly mentioned that you are not an audiophile, BIC Pl200 ii suites the bill for you. It's one of the best below 50k range and has got positive user reviews.
You can also consider Sonodyne Roarr 1312 which is well received.

Hi all,

Planned setup:
R/L S55
Center S30
Surrounds S10

Thanks in advance!
look at svs or rythmik. If you are more into HT, look at ported subs.

I highly recommend not to go for svs subwoofer with polk speakers, they do not blend well together. I tried almost an year but failed to integrate a svs sub with the polk speakers.

I highly recommend not to go for svs subwoofer with polk speakers, they do not blend well together. I tried almost an year but failed to integrate a svs sub with the polk speakers.
Which brand would you suggest to go with for Polk if not SVS? Do you have any experience with BIC or any of any others that were recommended here?

Can you please elaborate? As far as I know, SVS subs are known to have pretty straight frequency graphs so they should be easy to integrate with any speakers.

Can you please elaborate? As far as I know, SVS subs are known to have pretty straight frequency graphs so they should be easy to integrate with any speakers.
The bass in SVS is good, goes deeper and cleaner. When I integrate it with the polk speakers in the HT, they didn't sing together, meaning the speakers dominates the clean SVS bass. To my ears, bass in the SVS is refined and controlled where as the rest of the frequencies of the polk are not. Somewhere they both are misaligning tonally. My issues are nowhere related to the graph response as i dont go with that route.

Which brand would you suggest to go with for Polk if not SVS? Do you have any experience with BIC or any of any others that were recommended here?
Hello

I would suggest you to consider REL T5/I or it’s bigger brother T7/i. The quality and the pace of bass is awesome and REL subs are known for seamless integration with large variety of speakers.
Aman

Hello

I would suggest you to consider REL T5/I or it’s bigger brother T7/i. The quality and the pace of bass is awesome and REL subs are known for seamless integration with large variety of speakers.
Aman
Since its 70% movies, as much as i love REL, I wouldn’t recommend it considering the examples that are available at the specified budget.

Thanks for all the great tips! Considering BIC subwoofers now, would anyone here have dealer names or contacts for BIC in Bangalore? Also, how is BIC here in terms of serviceability? Should anything go wrong is it easy to find a good and responsive service partner?

You may check with The Home Cinema (Ecity) on BIC America subwoofers
PL 200 ii is a popular model

Thanks for all the great tips! Considering BIC subwoofers now, would anyone here have dealer names or contacts for BIC in Bangalore? Also, how is BIC here in terms of serviceability? Should anything go wrong is it easy to find a good and responsive service partner?
BICs are also good. Hope you land a good price for the BIC.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back