Looking for suggestion on power amp

ajeetk

Hi Members,

Need your suggestions please on buying my first power amp!

Currently I have Marantz SR 8012, which I got from respected member @reachkalyan.kr . Its performing very well.

For future, I am planning to add power amp(not needed with this AVR for now, but just making way for pre+power combo).

Here is what I am thinking, buy Emotiva 3 channel for LCR and Marantz 7 channel for other surround/atmos duties.
I am very novice on power amp brands and how they perform, mostly I would say I know about Marantz/Emotiva/Crown etc. But not really sure how they are in term of performance.

I was talking to a friend who uses psaudio stellar s300 stereo amp in his HT and mentioned that Emotiva is a budget quality amp( I was thinking its a high end :( )
So, can you please help me in suggesting a good power amp for 3 channel and 7 channel later(is my thinking above is right that buy good 3 channel amp + medium 7 channel amp).

My budget is not for accuphase and mark levinson category, but should be ok in 1-1.5.

Please help with your suggestions.

Hi Members,

Currently I have Marantz SR 8012, which I got from respected member @reachkalyan.kr . Its performing very well.

For future, I am planning to add power amp(not needed with this AVR for now, but just making way for pre+power combo).

Here is what I am thinking, buy Emotiva 3 channel for LCR and Marantz 7 channel for other surround/atmos duties.
I am very novice on power amp brands and how they perform, mostly I would say I know about Marantz/Emotiva/Crown etc. But not really sure how they are in term of performance.

I was talking to a friend who uses psaudio stellar s300 stereo amp in his HT and mentioned that Emotiva is a budget quality amp( I was thinking its a high end :( )
So, can you please help me in suggesting a good power amp for 3 channel and 7 channel later(is my thinking above is right that buy good 3 channel amp + medium 7 channel amp).

My budget is not for accuphase and mark levinson category, but should be ok in 1-1.5.

Emotiva bassx is entry level good at its price n they have next level XPA 3 which high powered
N users say very good n powered to drive any speaker category which also come in ur budget.
Also u can consider indiqaudio saptak 3 at 115k n 5ch at 125k this also very good praise by users .
If u like DIY there few I this group like Aniket Mumbai n Aniket Delhi their id in this forum don’t remember( will chk n update u )their build is well praised n users says far better than branded n very powerful. If u consider u can save 70% cost In Ur mentioned budget . They r lifetime warranty n support what they say

Emotiva bassx is entry level good at its price n they have next level XPA 3 which high powered
N users say very good n powered to drive any speaker category which also come in ur budget.
Also u can consider indiqaudio saptak 3 at 115k n 5ch at 125k this also very good praise by users .
If u like DIY there few I this group like Aniket Mumbai n Aniket Delhi their id in this forum don’t remember( will chk n update u )their build is well praised n users says far better than branded n very powerful. If u consider u can save 70% cost In Ur mentioned budget . They r lifetime warranty n support what they say
Sure, will look forward for the build and quality of DIY AMP too.

All Emotiva products are excellent Value For Money (VFM) in their price bracket. However they never make it to the list of Best Hi Fi Equipment in terms of absolute sound quality.

Regarding DIY, I Believe (I could be wrong) that there is VERY poor Resale value & a very restricted market for such products.
I would suggest NEVER to buy DIY without listening to that piece in yr setup. You never know what the builder would have done (knowingly or unknowingly) that will compromise the sound quality.
The Builder will always have a Bias towards what he has built.
Only a Non Builder & Non friend can give it a dispassionate evaluation, in the setup it will be used it.
The Looks of the DIY maybe another issue... Most look shabby to be displayed as part of a Home Setup. Ofcourse, this is just my opinion...:D

All Emotiva products are excellent Value For Money (VFM) in their price bracket. However they never make it to the list of Best Hi Fi Equipment in terms of absolute sound quality.

Regarding DIY, I Believe (I could be wrong) that there is VERY poor Resale value & a very restricted market for such products.
I would suggest NEVER to buy DIY without listening to that piece in yr setup. You never know what the builder would have done (knowingly or unknowingly) that will compromise the sound quality.
Only a Non Builder & Non friend can give it a dispassionate evaluation, in the setup it will be used it.
The Looks of the DIY maybe another issue... Most look shabby to be displayed as part of a Home Setup. Ofcourse, this is just my opinion...:D
Thanks @IndianEars, Yeah resale is a concern I agree. Do you suggest any other good power amp better than emotiva?

Hi Members,

What are your speakers? a lot depends on how sensitive your speakers are, room size? desired db output? u like to listen to it Loud?
You might just be happy with your Marantz avr internal amps if your LCR aren't power hungry or dip to low ohms.

Cheers.

What are your speakers? a lot depends on how sensitive your speakers are, room size? desired db output? u like to listen to it Loud?
You might just be happy with your Marantz avr internal amps if your LCR aren't power hungry or dip to low ohms.

Cheers.

My speakers are Dynaudio Emit M20 as of now, but will be moving to KEF R series of Focal Aria in 6 month or so..

Some time loud, but not much.. Planning to move to pre+power in some time, so want to have good amp first then replace AVR with pre.

My speakers are Dynaudio Emit M20 as of now, but will be moving to KEF R series of Focal Aria in 6 month or so..

Some time loud, but not much.. Planning to move to pre+power in some time, so want to have good amp first then replace AVR with pre.
Hi Ajeet
Marantz avr 8012 you are having is a very good avr with a huge toroidal transformer. It can easily drive dynaudio emit 20. I have seen this avr driving 4 ohms ht speakers set up to very high DB with good authority.
what is that you are actually missing in your avr?
with warm Regards
Siva

Hi Ajeet
Marantz avr 8012 you are having is a very good avr with a huge toroidal transformer. It can easily drive dynaudio emit 20. I have seen this avr driving 4 ohms ht speakers set up to very high DB with good authority.
what is that you are actually missing in your avr?
with warm Regards
Siva
Yeah no problem as such driving, as I mentioned, slowly I am planning to move to Pre+Power combo. Hence looking Power Amp for LCR first

As you have now specified Focal Aria as one of your choices, you could get the speaker first and then decide. Reason being Focal in general has high sensitivity and so a power amp of 100 to 150 is more than sufficient unless you're room is greater than 300 sqft.

As you have now specified Focal Aria as one of your choices, you could get the speaker first and then decide. Reason being Focal in general has high sensitivity and so a power amp of 100 to 150 is more than sufficient unless you're room is greater than 300 sqft.

Focal rated sensitivity is high and at 8 ohms, they dip to 2.6 ohms at lower frequencies so you might missout on a fair bit without enough headroom. However a 150wpc @ 8 ohms is more than sufficient for below 300 sqft , been using Aria 926 for a long time with Saptak 4 ch ( rated at 150+ wpc @ 8 ohms) and is a good combination. I use schiit saga+ which has not much gain along with NP Ampcamp ACP as preamp.

Hi Members,

In addition to Indiq,DD Aniket-DIY you can evaluate IOVX PA3 power amp. In Chennai swar surround is the dealer.Look up review for this .ASR had reviewed IOTA SA3 .NAD 268 classD also reviewed on ASR.
(No affiliations)

Resale of diy products is dependant on who the artist is :) if it's from well known names here..you can be assured, you'll find a buyer. I find imported products to be riskier... Unless they are known for their built. I have been a happy customer..

Look for amps that are easily servicible...rest you have a great budget. Talk to hifimart.. You'll get some good guidance.

Last edited:
If diy, there is one more option within forum members.

Hi Members,

... ... ...

Hi! I can suggest 2-3 options. A Creek Audio, an Odyssey, a Parasound. They should all be within your budget and will offer high VFM, reliable amplification for ages.

This is a very valid point and perhaps one for a dedicated thread.
DIY design/builds vs DIY repaired/restored, 2 different stories and then there are DIY clones

My personal take - If DIY is implemented immaculately at a significantly lower cost when compared to the factory built piece, then even if performance is marginally lower, its always a bang for the buck. Also I have always believed that DIY value is best leveraged if it is done by one's self. Getting others to construct stuff for you will end up being expensive anyways (costs usually appreciate under the labour-header). With regard to cosmetics, the situation is becoming better with China entering the cabinet market but in India, options and skill availability continues to be a challenge (and expensive). If one cannot implement DIY designs by one's self, it is always recommended to buy mainstream manufactured gear.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back