Looking for tape deck - RS-D5000

naveenroy

Hey guys! Need some help with a tape deck.

Came across someone selling a Technics RS-D5000. How good is this? I am just looking to buy it as an interest thing. Have lots of tapes and am little nostalgic about listening to them and this deck might be a good addition to my gadgets.

Opinions?

Seems to be a late 80's/90's dual well deck. Dual well decks are a bit frowned upon, as they were used mostly for dubbing, and not necessarily high fidelity. It seems almost decently priced ( for reference, there is an RS T20 (a slighly older Dual well Technics with LED meters) sitting here for sale in chennai for 2.7 odd K, and a Technics RS-M04 single well for 3.6K (right now, after an earlier listing at 4.5K didnt get any buyers) . If it checks out okay, you are not too choosy about what sort of deck you have, and you can bargain the price a bit down, go ahead :)

Dual well decks do offer greater convenience, and this one appears to have auto reverse - better for convenience, but harder to align, and alignment is the key to getting the best out of a tape deck.

make sure all functions work for both decks(including recording if you are planning to). Make sure that the head is not worn out, there is no excess wow/flutter ( should be audible), that the pinch rollers have not hardened, and if possible, to see the innards and if any jugaad servicing has not been done.

Last edited:
Seems to be a late 80's/90's dual well deck. Dual well decks are a bit frowned upon, as they were used mostly for dubbing, and not necessarily high fidelity.

make sure all functions work for both decks(including recording if you are planning to). Make sure that the head is not worn out, there is no excess wow/flutter ( should be audible), that the pinch rollers have not hardened, and if possible, to see the innards and if any jugaad servicing has not been done.

Thanks a lot for the advise. So a dual deck isn't really a good idea. Moreover, should be able to check the deck physically before purchasing. Hmm, maybe I need to do more research and put this aside for the moment.

I have a RST22... tape belt needs to be replaced

Sorry but like I said above, maybe this isn't something I should be jumping in into just yet

nothing wrong with dual decks as such, all things being equal, for a given price, a single deck is better. than a dual deck.

That said, pricing of used decks in the indian second hand market is all over the place. Sellers with vintage '70's basic decks asking for 8-10K, and the good single decks are hard to come by. A recent good deal was a nakamichi 480 that had come up for 5K in bangalore a while ago.

But entry level 2 head decks with a permalloy heads, piano keys and plain old DC motors are what you usually see in the market, and they go for similar prices (I've seen them for anywhere from 1K to 10K), and they will be no better or worse than this deck.

The short version : This deck is decent. If you are looking for something cheaper OR something better quality, keep looking, but this is good VFM.

Last edited:
I would like to have a decent cassette deck for recording my lossless audio files and LP songs to cassette tapes. It will be great if any of you guys come across a decent deck :)

rather entry level setup, but check out this deal in kochi
SANSUI Rack System All are Good Working condition & Nice Price - Kochi - Home Appliances - Electronics - Ernakulam

I would happily pay 4K for the turntable :D

EDIT: you seem to have a dual well deck already. Are you looking for something better? Then this might not be it

Looks little bit beat up system. I am more interested in the cassette deck alone :D. My Akai is simply awesome. Cassette to cassette recording is 100% (to my ears) good if not better :p (I tweaked the inner electronics a little).

The prob is that, if I extensively use it, I might worn the heads out. Though I have a good collection of heads (bought locally), I don't know whether it's going to be as good as the original heads. One other forum member, Mr. Sandesh was interested in one of my sendust head but as soon as I knew he's gonna use it on a nak, I didn't proceed with that subject any more.

For the past few days I have been testing each and every head I have with a makeshift diy cassette player I made for this testing purpose alone and a handful of them are pretty good. As I am typing this, I am staring at my Akai mechanism which I took apart to test the original head. I will test the Akai head on my diy player with the same cassette and song I used to test the rest of heads.

After this, I will be able to separate good from average :)

sarith, most vintage cassette decks are old. they will look beat up. I would look at the condition of the head before deciding.

PS: My most beat up looking tape deck is the one that sounds the best :)

Restoration work on my Akai is done. I changed the belt and pinch roller, greased and did final adjustments to the board (trim pots). Akai is playing good. Testing of my cassette heads are finally over. Anybody in need of spare cassette head and blank Sony ZX 90 or Maxell UE 60 cassettes (both sealed), let me know :)

Last edited:
There was a NAK going for sale in Trivandrum, saw it on quickr. Not too sure if its still around. No affiliation with the seller.

AUDIO SYSTEM KNOWN AS SUPER COMPO -SANSUI PLUS NAKAMICHI COMPONENTS , SONY SPEAKERS in Kallattumukku, Trivandrum Used Music Systems - Home Theatre on Trivandrum Quikr Classifieds

I normally do not comment on other dealers sale

But again 50 K is too too much.
Barring nak tape , sansui compoants are of their low end mass market series. also amp has missig button . Overall condition is not good.
Do not know about sony speakers but appears 70's DhamaDhum speakers..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back