Is it worth buying a cassette tape deck in 2024?

hifimaddy

Hey guys, I just need some suggestions about buying a cassette tape deck in 2024. Is it worth buying in 2024? Is it easy to find tape heads on the market? I have a collection of 200–300 cassettes, but they have not been used for almost 7 years.

Recently, I found a Technics RS-B105 deck for 2600 RS. So I am thinking about whether to buy it or not. At the moment, it's working fine, but I am not sure if I can find a spare head later on. If anybody knows, well, comment below.

thanks
vishnu

Hey guys, I just need some suggestions about buying a cassette tape deck in 2024. Is it worth buying in 2024? Is it easy to find tape heads on the market? I have a collection of 200–300 cassettes, but they have not been used for almost 7 years.

Recently, I found a Technics RS-B105 deck for 2600 RS. So I am thinking about whether to buy it or not. At the moment, it's working fine, but I am not sure if I can find a spare head later on. If anybody knows, well, comment below.

thanks
vishnu
If the cost of the tape deck is Rs. 2600/- and even if it plays well for a year and keeps you happy then I guess it is ok. You have nothing much to lose. If your cassettes are very old and unused, then you may need to check if they leave dirt or affected by moisture.

If the cost of the tape deck is Rs. 2600/- and even if it plays well for a year and keeps you happy then I guess it is ok. You have nothing much to lose. If your cassettes are very old and unused, then you may need to check if they leave dirt or affected by moisture.
Okay, I will consider this. Definitely, the cassettes are not in a good situation. I thought not to use it again, so I kept it in a storage room outdoors, and it is easy to affect moisture or fingus in Kerala weather. I will check it and restore as much as possible.

thanks
vis

thanks

Okay, I will consider this. Definitely, the cassettes are not in a good situation. I thought not to use it again, so I kept it in a storage room outdoors, and it is easy to affect moisture or fingus in Kerala weather. I will check it and restore as much as possible.
Hi
If we buy vinyls in 2024 then why not cassette deck? You say that you have 300 cassettes so you can obviously need a rig to play your treasures. I would definitely buy a deck for my cassettes. If you want to enjoy analogue music then get a preowned , well conditioned tape deck that will give you many more years of listening bliss.
Cheers

Hey guys, I just need some suggestions about buying a cassette tape deck in 2024.
Nothing wrong in buying an old cassette deck in 2024. In fact, I don't mind having one in my rack, even if I don't end up ever using it.
The head is the last thing you need to worry about.
Its the belts that snap, loosen which results in tape playback getting wonky. Worn capstan can result in tangling of the tape. Ensure these are in good shape. You can get access to spare belts easily.

thanks
vishnu
We all used this cassette deck player in old days , it is nice to use it if you have collection of cassette , only thing please check the quality of cassette you have in stock . ,

We all used this cassette deck player in old days , it is nice to use it if you have collection of cassette , only thing please check the quality of cassette you have in stock . ,
Back in the day, I had two deck sets, and I used them every day. After they broke, I kept the casette in a storage space. It's been 7-8 years now. Recently, I became obsessed with some vintage hi-fi components :D and started checking the used decks on the market. but I am not sure the cast will work now. Most of them do not look fine to me.

Back in the day, I had two deck sets, and I used them every day. After they broke, I kept the casette in a storage space. It's been 7-8 years now. Recently, I became obsessed with some vintage hi-fi components :D and started checking the used decks on the market. but I am not sure the cast will work now. Most of them do not look fine to me.
more than a cassette deck I would like to have a reel-to-reel deck. but they are very expensive now. 😔

Hi
If we buy vinyls in 2024 then why not cassette deck? You say that you have 300 cassettes so you can obviously need a rig to play your treasures. I would definitely buy a deck for my cassettes. If you want to enjoy analogue music then get a preowned , well conditioned tape deck that will give you many more years of listening bliss.
Cheers
Actually, this is the next post I thought to post. Recently, I saw some videos and posts on the internet, and I am very obsessed with Vinatge Hifis. but I never had or used any vinyl. Is it worth considering a vinyl player if it has more advantages, or is it more hifi'ish than tape decks or easy-to-find discs? I would like to have a vinyl player over this tape deck, considering the condition of the cassettes, which are not easy to buy these days.

Actually, this is the next post I thought to post. Recently, I saw some videos and posts on the internet, and I am very obsessed with Vinatge Hifis. but I never had or used any vinyl. Is it worth considering a vinyl player if it has more advantages, or is it more hifi'ish than tape decks or easy-to-find discs? I would like to have a vinyl player over this tape deck, considering the condition of the cassettes, which are not easy to buy these days.
Vinyl records are very expensive one also you will not get all songs , so take into account of this .

Vinyl player or TT is a good choice. TT s are of many kinds and those come in different price tags. Read about those and decide which one suits your purpose. But nowadays vinyls have become pricey. They are available but they are not at all cheap stuff. You can get both preowned vinyls and new released ones . Which one you want to have is entirely your choice. I have TT, tape deck and dvd player and I enjoy all the media. So you can also get a decent TT (either preowned or a new one) and a tape deck. Please don't hurry rather get your fav player and media gradually.
Cheers

Hey guys! Finally, after a lot of thought, I brought the tape deck. It's working perfectly right now. Some of the casettes I cleaned are working fine. During this time, I hope I can restore all the good casettes. Thank you for all your comments.

cheers,
vishnu

View attachment 82901

Congratulations. Godspeed on your walk down the memory lane.

Hey guys! Finally, after a lot of thought, I brought the tape deck. It's working perfectly right now. Some of the casettes I cleaned are working fine. During this time, I hope I can restore all the good casettes. Thank you for all your comments.

cheers,
vishnu

View attachment 82901
Congratulations. Next purchase will be a decent TT, i presume .

one of my long-time wishes. But discs are too expensive, so I am just avoid buying them. but my ears tell me to buy one every day.:D:D
Who says to get all the vinyls overnight and burn your pocket /break your bank? Get a nice TT first then begin collecting vinyls gradually. You can get some lovely preowned vinyls from the classified section of our forum. Besides there are so many options to buy used vinyls and new ones also. After a year or so you may have a good collection.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back