Lossless streaming solution for apple music

msankadi

Hi

My setup is Intel nuc connected to my htr 3072 via hdmi that is powering my Boston acoustics 5.1 system

I stream tidal through bubbleupnp and jriver in windows and it provides full bandwidth.

However I am trying to figure out a cheap solution to stream lossless apple music too.

My avr doesn't have airplay only Bluetooth.

1. If I buy a Chromecast audio when some fm is luckily selling, would I be able to use Chromecast option in Apple music to get full lossless?

2. Windows doesn't have any way of accessing lossless due to apple restrictions. Also I have an ipad air but apparently it is too old niw to get apple music lossless so that is also not feasible.

3. I have a spare android lenovo p2 which has a headphone jack too. Is there anyway of getting apple music lossless through that? Would I be able to control it wirelessly though?

Install Volumio on your NUC and use it as an Airplay endpoint for your AVR.
Does airplay support full lossless? Would I need to install it as a separate os altogether or it can run within windows? Reason I am asking is I don't want to lose my tidal setup and the nuc is also used as htpc via kodi

Does airplay support full lossless? Would I need to install it as a separate os altogether or it can run within windows? Reason I am asking is I don't want to lose my tidal setup and the nuc is also used as htpc via kodi
Volumio runs on Debian, so you won't be able to run Windows at the same time. Airplay 1 (supported by Volumio) can play 16/48, aka lossless. Also, Volumio natively supports Tidal or Tidal Connect via Subscription; thus, you won't lose your Tidal set-up. I believe you can install Kodi on Debian, too, but you have to play a little bit if you want the Kodi on the Volumio box.

No, Apple only streams lossy aac via CCA. No Lossless.

Currently, and for foreseeable future, only wireless option is Airplay. Which is also limited to 96 AFAIK.

Volumio runs on Debian, so you won't be able to run Windows at the same time. Airplay 1 (supported by Volumio) can play 16/48, aka lossless. Also, Volumio natively supports Tidal or Tidal Connect via Subscription; thus, you won't lose your Tidal set-up. I believe you can install Kodi on Debian, too, but you have to play a little bit if you want the Kodi on the Volumio box.

I will try the above solutions to Airplay within windows. Unfortunately my avr doesn't even show the bitrate signal info so I won't be able to tell what is the bitrate.

Anyone who uses Airplay for am can you confirm what is the bitrate and sampling rate you get? Is Airplay going to even work via android app?

Are you on iOS or Android? The Android version of Apple Music won't support Airplay. Airplay client is not officially endorsed outside the Apple ecosystem.

I will try the above solutions to Airplay within windows. Unfortunately my avr doesn't even show the bitrate signal info so I won't be able to tell what is the bitrate.

Anyone who uses Airplay for am can you confirm what is the bitrate and sampling rate you get? Is Airplay going to even work via android app?

Airplay won't tell you the bitrate or sampling rate.
It won't work through android, it is a propriety service for Apple Devices only.

Airplay doesn't do true lossless.
Right now there are no ways to use true Apple Lossless or Hi-Res on our hifi systems other than connecting a Apple or a android device.
But the DACs of phones or tablets are not that great may sound decent.
If you have an external DAC this can benefit a lot.

This is the solution I have created and have been using it since couple of months. Costs somewhat around 7-8k but sound quality is phenomal.

In that case, Tidal is your best friend. Get an Argentina subscription; it's only Rs.120/month. Tidal is better in every possible way than Apple Music; you are into Hi-Res.
Thanks Yes i have all subscriptions spotify tidal as well as apple music , I just want to add Apple music as an option.... Most of the times I use tidal too and it has amazing hindi collection for pre 2000 but for relatively newer hindi music tidal doesn't have that good a collection... For example i wanted to listen to hum dil de chuke songs yesterday but was left with no option but to use my spotify subscription yestwrdy as tidal didn't have it and I couldn't use apple music lossless

You are absolutely right @msankadi, Tidal lacks Indian content.
What I have been doing right now is listen to Indian content on Apple Music and western on Tidal.
Try using an android device with a 3.5mm to RCA splitter and see how it sounds. No harm in trying.

You are absolutely right @msankadi, Tidal lacks Indian content.
What I have been doing right now is listen to Indian content on Apple Music and western on Tidal.
Try using an android device with a 3.5mm to RCA splitter and see how it sounds. No harm in trying.
Sure yes will do that too... One thing though tidal collection of pre 2000 Bollywood music is great no concerns almost 80% of spotify which is just amazing... Also collection of Indian classical on tidal is great too

Spotify hifi can't come soon enough, will do away with all these shitty workarounds just to access music i paid for

Thanks Yes i have all subscriptions spotify tidal as well as apple music , I just want to add Apple music as an option.... Most of the times I use tidal too and it has amazing hindi collection for pre 2000 but for relatively newer hindi music tidal doesn't have that good a collection... For example i wanted to listen to hum dil de chuke songs yesterday but was left with no option but to use my spotify subscription yestwrdy as tidal didn't have it and I couldn't use apple music lossless
You know, when I listen to the pre-2000 Bollywood music, to my ears Tidal/Spotify/Apple Music, they all sound similar, so, IMHO, you are not losing much in terms of sound fidelity if you are listening on Spotify.

Airplay 2 though capable to stream 24/96, but it does it only for downloaded content. Apple music to airplay 2 reciever converts to lossy AAC 16/44.1 . Only option of wirless streaming is airplay from mac OS when system wide airplay 2 audio output is selected.
Else wired solution of usb dac is only solution for just cd quality from Android. Nothing for hires as yet using Android

Airplay 2 though capable to stream 24/96, but it does it only for downloaded content. Apple music to airplay 2 reciever converts to lossy AAC 16/44.1 . Only option of wirless streaming is airplay from mac OS when system wide airplay 2 audio output is selected.
Else wired solution of usb dac is only solution for just cd quality from Android. Nothing for hires as yet using Android
Will I get 16/44.1 through am on Chromecast (inbuilt in my tv that has optical out connected to my avr)?

Will I get 16/44.1 through am on Chromecast (inbuilt in my tv that has optical out connected to my avr)?
No, it shows up as lossy 16/44.1 AAC which is lossy codec , on my CXN using Chromecast Audio. Not sure what it means to have CD sampling and bitrate with a lossy codec, mostly it would be similar to 256kbps MP3. CCA do not support ALAC and is a discontinued device, so it's not likely in future also. Hoping at least Airplay 2 gets updated in future to support lossless ALAC streaming

Probably buy a USB dac , and then from NUC --> DAC --> AVR.
I tried this after Tidal and it sounds good enough , though I would rate myself more of a listener of music rather than equipment. It makes quite a difference if the content is curated for India.

Back