Loud jarring sound from pc speakers

Sean de Silva

I am currently facing a very annoying issue which I’m unable to eliminate. I’m using iBall Tarang Classic 2.1 speakers for the desktop pc. While watching a youtube video or randomly, a loud jarring continuous screech suddenly emanates from the pc speakers blocking the actual content and I have to turn off the speaker power at the mains. Fwiw the Microtek Legend 1000S sits behind my monitor between the speakers. Could the UPS have something to do with this?

Last edited:
Sounds like a feedback loop noise.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but have you checked the connection cable? If you have a spare I would start from there.

Thanks!

Sounds like a feedback loop noise.

Sorry for stating the obvious, but have you checked the connection cable? If you have a spare I would start from there.

Thanks!
This noise has never occurred earlier. It is coincidental with the addition of the UPS. Unfortunately I am constrained for space hence cannot troubleshoot by shifting the UPS elsewhere. Which connection cable would you be referring to?

This noise has never occurred earlier. It is coincidental with the addition of the UPS. Unfortunately I am constrained for space hence cannot troubleshoot by shifting the UPS elsewhere. Which connection cable would you be referring to?
Does your UPS have bypass switch?

Disconnect the speakers and try connecting a headphone on same jack, if then also you get that weird sound, it could be the sound card issue. Also try shifting your speakers power input from UPS to wall socket.

I am currently facing a very annoying issue which I’m unable to eliminate. I’m using iBall Tarang Classic 2.1 speakers for the desktop pc. While watching a youtube video or randomly, a loud jarring continuous screech suddenly emanates from the pc speakers blocking the actual content and I have to turn off the speaker power at the mains. Fwiw the Microtek Legend 1000S sits behind my monitor between the speakers. Could the UPS have something to do with this?
UPS might be the last thing you need to check.
First, when the hum begins and is ongoing, try pinching the jack and see if it goes away while slowly and firmly rotating the jack in the comp socket.
Second, try a different jack?
If both don't help, try running a sound diagnostics in the OS only. Both Win and Mac have this. Should show up the problem.
All the above fails, problem in speakers :(

Does the screech issue from just one channel or all speakers?

I had pretty similar issue and gave my pc speaker for repair.
The guy just cleaned the jack where you connnect the auxiliary cable to speaker and the issue vanished.
But he had opened the box where amplifier is housed
Probably some carbon deposit

I had pretty similar issue and gave my pc speaker for repair.
The guy just cleaned the jack where you connnect the auxiliary cable to speaker and the issue vanished.
But he had opened the box where amplifier is housed
Probably some carbon deposit
I did the same, cleaned with some contact cleaner, but sound is still there. I will try once again, and report back. Also when I turn on the speaker with power amp., and not connected to the passive, I hear the sound as well, so not sure.
Cheers,
Sid

I've just recorded and uploaded a sound clip of this recurring disturbance.
If this noise is observed from headphones too, then , most likely
1. the PSU issues
2. or If any, of the PCI components are not housed properly.

I had the same/similar sound issue long time back ( using Xonar Essence STX ), I could not resolve the issue and considering my temperament at that instance, had just discarded the box moved the sound card to new system altogether .
- that was like , an instant gratification. so , this may not sound like a solution for most .

( the MB with CPU ,and GPU still sitting somewhere while the PSU got donated ).

I did some further experimentation yesterday. I think in my case the culprit is the fact that I am using an anchor extension cord to power the speakers, due to lack of outputs at the speaker location. When connected directly to the power outlet, there was some noise at start up but after a few seconds there was no other sound. I have ordered a surge strip on amazon and will check out this connection.
Cheers,
Sid

update - when I switch on speaker power at mains, the jarring sound starts as well and I have to immediately switch off at mains. headphones work perfectly when connected to the same 3.5mm on motherboard hence it's now confirmed that the 2.1 system is faulty. Will have to look for a new 2.0 or 2.1 set. Never imagined that these desktop speaker systems would be so fragile and not built to last :(

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back