Loud music at night : Law says 45 dB is the limit !

Headphones !
https://www.deccanherald.com/metrolife/metrolife-your-bond-with-bengaluru/loud-music-at-night-call-cops-and

Was just reading news.
I was not aware of this limit in force once you turn into a nocturnal being ;)
.. but 45db? Should one be watching movies/ott from the silent era ? after 10 pm.
View attachment 76381
I play music at 65db odd post 10 pm and there is not much leakage outside the room. Few pointers helped me in making sure that adjoining neighbours dont complain during late night sessions
- Don't play a lot of bass heavy tracks , it can be a cause of nuisance to fellow neighbors or even for people within the house
- Ideally keep your music equipment in rooms which don't share a common wall with the neighbors
- Keep all your netted doors and windows shut (if you have doors/windows which have netted enclosures better to close them at night)

Due to less noise outside I think post 10 pm is the better time in the day to enjoy your speaker setup at reasonable listening levels

Wow even I wasn't aware of a proper dB prescribed by the officials..
Interesting..
Thanks for the info

Why should there be a limit (45 FB or otherwise) on volumes at which you play music inside your premises? What if they are sound-proofed? The only limits should be on the peripheral sound level. And they should be strictly implemented.

Why should there be a limit (45 FB or otherwise) on volumes at which you play music inside your premises? What if they are sound-proofed? The only limits should be on the peripheral sound level. And they should be strictly implemented.
Lets assume :p that the limit was considering some logic - "assume". Then I believe the 45Db is basically what leaks out of your house I am guessing? Not what you play it at. So if you do have a room that is sound-proofed - I am sure you can blast it to the T.

Just adding some more assumptionsalt to the soup.

45 db is typical ambient sound levels in residential areas at night. If you turn on a ceiling fan at night, you are at 45 to 50db already! During the day it is way higher. A typical (normal) human conversation at 3 feet away will be at 60 db. So if you have a moderately loud conversation on your appartment balcony at 11pm, the person in the neighbouring balcony having a late night smoke will hear it at 60 to 70 db at-least. I am sure there are nuances to this law. Otherwise you end up with indiscriminate use of this law.

Last edited:
hmm, how about complaining about all neighbour(s ) not to flush their toilets from 10pm to 6 am.
it disturbs my listening/movie session "Raja Harishchandra" session .
Silent movies are should be enjoyed silently - in pure format, the filmmaker mode :D

The law is not really enforced, lots of times there is noise exceeding local limits. Normal conversation is actually 65-75db depending upon the person. I regularly listen at loud volumes day and night without disturbing the neighbors. If they enforced this law pretty much everyone would be going against it. And what about the vehicles on the road? Not to mention 45db is very low, I highly doubt that in urban environments this level of noise exists even on a quiet night.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back