Low Bass output from Philips DVP3996

gigatech2006

Hi,

I bought an Onkyo HTiB just a couple of days ago, that came bundled with the Philips DVP3996 DVD player. I setup the home theater system, and connected it with Philips DVD via Coaxial digital cable. When I watch DVDs with Dolby digital, the sound is perfectly fine. However, when I listen to music (mp3) via USB or CDs (.cda) the bass output is significantly low.

I tried altering the dB levels, and other settings, but there is no improvement in the bass level - it's significantly low. I would like to point out one thing over here. When I was setting up the system, I just connected the Philips DVD player and Onkyo via coaxial digital cable, and played music (mp3 and cda) with the philips dvd in factory settings (I didn't even switch on the TV to look at the setup menu!). The sound output was perfectly fine with very good bass. The problem started when I switched on the TV, clicked on DVD setup->sound-> and selected digital audio output ON (as I mentioned above, tis a coaxial digital output).

The default factory setting were
  • Analog audio was in LT/RT
  • HDMI ON
  • Digital audi was greyed out (disabled)

The sound (bass) from my USB and CDDA was fine in factory settings, but not when digital audio is enabled.

Am I missing something very basic over here? What could be the problem? Thanks in advance

--giga

Hi,

If your DVD player supports 5.1 output, see in what mode it is set. change this to 2.1. The bass should improve.

Hi,

If your DVD player supports 5.1 output, see in what mode it is set. change this to 2.1. The bass should improve.

There are two sound setups. One is analog audio with options LT/RT, stereo, V Surr, and Multi Channel. Here LT/RT is selected. The second is the digital audio setup that I talked about in the first post. Here there are four options, OFF, ALL (full digital capable of Dolby and DTS), PCM only and LCPM. I've selected ALL since I use a coaxial digital cable to connect the dvd and my Onkyo receiver.

In sound mode, there are options like 3D, Movie and Music mode. Movie and Music modes are greyed out since I've selected ALL in digital audio setup. And, I've turned OFF 3D.

What does the onkyo avr display as your input stream?

regards

I says stereo, and I used to listen with Neo music setting.

gigatech2006,

Is this resolved. As I am planning to have same Philips DVD Player

Hi

Not sure if you have resolved the issues or not. It appears your analogue or USB might be different than DVD.

Re: CD, are you playing the CDs using the DVD player?

Remember for music such as mp3, you wont get 5.1 sound. At best you get 2.1 via stereo mode. Have you tried this?

Also how does the sound come through when you play music DVDs (DVDs with songs in them). Is the bass to your liking?

Hi,

I bought an Onkyo HTiB just a couple of days ago, that came bundled with the Philips DVP3996 DVD player. I setup the home theater system, and connected it with Philips DVD via Coaxial digital cable. When I watch DVDs with Dolby digital, the sound is perfectly fine. However, when I listen to music (mp3) via USB or CDs (.cda) the bass output is significantly low.

I tried altering the dB levels, and other settings, but there is no improvement in the bass level - it's significantly low. I would like to point out one thing over here. When I was setting up the system, I just connected the Philips DVD player and Onkyo via coaxial digital cable, and played music (mp3 and cda) with the philips dvd in factory settings (I didn't even switch on the TV to look at the setup menu!). The sound output was perfectly fine with very good bass. The problem started when I switched on the TV, clicked on DVD setup->sound-> and selected digital audio output ON (as I mentioned above, tis a coaxial digital output).

The default factory setting were
  • Analog audio was in LT/RT
  • HDMI ON
  • Digital audi was greyed out (disabled)

The sound (bass) from my USB and CDDA was fine in factory settings, but not when digital audio is enabled.

Am I missing something very basic over here? What could be the problem? Thanks in advance

--giga

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back