Low cost streamer for Spotify - would this idea work ?

argho

A friend of mine has an old Marantz amp.
He has mostly been listening to Spotify, which he streams from his phone via a cheapo Logitech Bluetooth receiver, hooked up to the amp.
Of late he has been having problems, and is looking for a better alternative.

One that could possibly give him Spotify Connect capability, but at low cost.

I had suggested the Yamaha WXC-50 but that is almost 30K.

He is looking for a solution within 5K.

Idea that came to me - not sure whether it would work :

- Buy a Mi box ( https://www.mi.com/in/mi-box-4k/ ) for Rs 3.5K

- Connect to TV via HDMI, and perform setup. Log into wifi

- Change audio output in Mi Box to SPDIF (ie optical)

- Disconnect from TV (the TV is in a different room). Move the Mi Box to the living room and connect to Amp via SPDIF.

- Remove HDMI cable completely

Theoretically, this should now show us as a destination for Chromecast, as well as for Spotify connect.
It becomes a full fledged Spotify streamer for Rs 3.5K.

Any idea whether this would work ?

Has anyone tried ?

He has mostly been listening to Spotify, which he streams from his phone via a cheapo Logitech Bluetooth receiver, hooked up to the amp.

One that could possibly give him Spotify Connect capability, but at low cost.

I had suggested the Yamaha WXC-50 but that is almost 30K.

He is looking for a solution within 5K.

Idea that came to me - not sure whether it would work :

- Buy a Mi box ( https://www.mi.com/in/mi-box-4k/ ) for Rs 3.5K

- Connect to TV via HDMI, and perform setup. Log into wifi

- Change audio output in Mi Box to SPDIF (ie optical)

- Disconnect from TV (the TV is in a different room). Move the Mi Box to the living room and connect to Amp via SPDIF.

- Remove HDMI cable completely

Theoretically, this should now show us as a destination for Chromecast, as well as for Spotify connect.
It becomes a full fledged Spotify streamer for Rs 3.5K.

Any idea whether this would work ?

Has anyone tried ?
This would work

And i don't appreciate the Logitech Bluetooth receiver being called cheapo. 13 years and still going strong.

If he can stretch a bit more, there is one by DNM. It will cost you less than 9k. The inbuilt DAC is not good. But you can connect it to an external DAC and then it is pretty good for the price.

The Marantz has a good dac built in (its a Marantz CR-603).

Honestly dont see any difference between this DNM box and the Mi Box.

Ask him to buy an echo dot 3 or 4, frequently priced 1800-2500k. Connect the line out to the amp.
If his spotify account is connected to his Alexa account, he can not only play his music using his mobile but directly by voice as well. Will also play Amazon music/Apple music.

Ask him to buy an echo dot 3 or 4, frequently priced 1800-2500k. Connect the line out to the amp.
If his spotify account is connected to his Alexa account, he can not only play his music using his mobile but directly by voice as well. Will also play Amazon music/Apple music.

Thought of that as well.

The difference I feel, is that the Mi Box gives an optical output, and therefore can use the Marantz Dac.

The Echo dot will give an analog output, and therefore use the Echo's DAC, which is not great.

But agree that the Echo will provide more flexibility - Amazon music etc.

Any views on the Echo DAC ?

I have personally not been impressed when I connected my Echo to my system.

Why not use an AUX cable and connect the PH directly to the AMP?

Something like this makes sense?

Agree this would work, and its a really inexpensive solution.

However, I dont the sound quality will be good. The DAC in the cable will be used.

I have a USB-C to 3.5mm cable at home, Will try out.

Thanks.

Agree this would work, and its a really inexpensive solution.

However, I dont the sound quality will be good. The DAC in the cable will be used.

I have a USB-C to 3.5mm cable at home, Will try out.

Thanks.
Look up the tempotec sonata hd. Use it for this purpose. Works well. Not good for calls but great for music. Picked it up used for ~1k

Thought of that as well.

The difference I feel, is that the Mi Box gives an optical output, and therefore can use the Marantz Dac.

The Echo dot will give an analog output, and therefore use the Echo's DAC, which is not great.
The Marantz DAC would be better.

It's not meant for hifi and is just about adequate for the inbuilt speakers.

Thought of that as well.

You can still use voice commands through the mibox, albeit with the remote and not entirely hands free.

There is an optical out put in it.
View attachment 57201
Thanks. I am glad to be corrected. How does it work?
I was using a Bluesound node 2 that suddenly died last week. I am looking for a replacement. This sounds like a good choice for a very reasonable cost.
grateful for Any feedback on the ease of set up, suggestions on connecting to an external DAC, stability of connection and user interface ...

I added the link - I am just quoting what I saw :) The link says Rs.844. Unless they are trying to lure us in like the airlines. Delivery charges of Rs.2500 at the checkout maybe :p
Listed but out of stock in all the pin codes I checked. Maybe a specific store has leftover stock

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back