Low sound level moving from 3.1 to 5.1 setup

You are also dealing with a slight difference in the sensitivity levels for each loudspeaker. The Polk's are not the same as your Q Acoustics. The impedance ratings are also different. The hardest to drive speaker are you mains. Your amplifier will have to work harder now that it has two (rear) additional speakers to drive. As a result, some gain compensation maybe required, either manually or via your calibration system.

As long as you are not experiencing any form of clipping, ignore the main gain levels. I push my receiver to 80% gain when I feel like blasting a chase sequence from Fast n Furious or for the highly dynamic sound thrills of Tenet.

More the reason to stick to the same family or series of speaker for home theater applications. Not that you should not mix n match. Be aware of things like sensitivity, impedance and the possibility of a change in sound signature between speaker brands. Personally; I am not too critical about surrounds as they are essentially an effects channel. Dialog is seldom heard.

You are also dealing with a slight difference in the sensitivity levels for each loudspeaker. The Polk's are not the same as your Q Acoustics. The impedance ratings are also different. The hardest to drive speaker are you mains. Your amplifier will have to work harder now that it has two (rear) additional speakers to drive. As a result, some gain compensation maybe required, either manually or via your calibration system.

As long as you are not experiencing any form of clipping, ignore the main gain levels. I push my receiver to 80% gain when I feel like blasting a chase sequence from Fast n Furious or for the highly dynamic sound thrills of Tenet.

More the reason to stick to the same family or series of speaker for home theater applications. Not that you should not mix n match. Be aware of things like sensitivity, impedance and the possibility of a change in sound signature between speaker brands. Personally; I am not too critical about surrounds as they are essentially an effects channel. Dialog is seldom heard.
Hi,
I selected OWM3 as these are 8 ohm and more sensitive compared to q acoustics.
Stand alone they sound good but in 5.1 with q acoustics they are missing the heftness and sound bright to me.
Also these are not new and purchased from a FM. could there be some fault/damage . How can I ensure this?

Hi,
I selected OWM3 as these are 8 ohm and more sensitive compared to q acoustics.
Stand alone they sound good but in 5.1 with q acoustics they are missing the heftness and sound bright to me.
Also these are not new and purchased from a FM. could there be some fault/damage . How can I ensure this?

There is no fault, Polk and Q acoustics will sound different as they are from different companies. Thats why timbre matching is needed for seemless experience in 5.1 i.e having same or same sounding speakers.

Best way to test this is gaming, rotate camera and hear same sound coming from all speakers.

Also there is a reason why Q acoustics cost more than Polk, the drivers, the components will always be superior to lower cost counter parts.

To be honest I would never use these speakers as surrounds, these are decent for atmos channels. If you use good surround speakers they too give good heft and explosion sounds or gun shot experience.

There is no fault, Polk and Q acoustics will sound different as they are from different companies. Thats why timbre matching is needed for seemless experience in 5.1 i.e having same or same sounding speakers.

Best way to test this is gaming, rotate camera and hear same sound coming from all speakers.

Also there is a reason why Q acoustics cost more than Polk, the drivers, the components will always be superior to lower cost counter parts.

To be honest I would never use these speakers as surrounds, these are decent for atmos channels. If you use good surround speakers they too give good heft and explosion sounds or gun shot experience.
Ok. So shall I select 3010i for surround and move owm3 to atmos?

Considering you bought it from a FM, its unlikely to be any physical damage. The idea of buying from an FM is so you can trust the product.
You can open the grills and check for tears on the drivers. Its unlikely to be the case though.
Its just not pairing right with the rest of your speakers.
While you are at it, check speaker polarity.
Look for some used Q acoustics speakers, or, buy the cheapest stand mount from them, like the old 3010. Its good enough for surround applications. Come to think of it, you will be better of with any British loudspeaker brand.
Polk's are not bad speakers. They just have a different sound.
You can look at an KEF R8A, though I think they are wallet busters and probably more expensive than you mains.

Back