Low sound on my new Yamaha YST-SW012 subwoofer

asrathfv

My main question is do i need to purchase new Receiver or some pre-amp or Fiio amplifier?

My system -->>

Philips MCD-290/98 with 2 bass reflex speaker(15w RMS each), It has "subwoofer out" labelled port(RCA Type). Also in the manual its written that it is for connecting Active Subwoofer. So I purchased Yamaha YST SW012 sub. But I need to set the volume of BOTH sub( beyond 7, the max vol setting is 10) and my TV(I normally watch TV at vol 25-30, but for sub I need to set it beyond 40 which becomes louder for me) high.
So I have problem in all following situations-->>

1) When connected to TV, Vol of TV need to be set high. ALSO the volume of Phillips MCD 290 needs to be set at 25(max vol number is 30). When the Vol of Phillips MCD 290 is set to 25 THEN ONLY the sub woofer is able to produce low freq/theatre like sound.
2) I have Oneplus One mobile. I connected its 3.5 mm audio output to Phillips MCD 290 via 3.5mm to RCA cable. But again the same problem. Not satisfied with the output, I needed to set the volume of both MCD290 and sub HIGH.... .... .... ALSO my experience is that when I listen to music via Computer's 3.5mm output(motherboard is MSI 990FXA GD65v2), it much bassful as compared to via mobile phones 3.5mm output.
3) Also when I connect the system to computer to listen to MUSIC my motherboard does not send the bass audio signal via its Center/Subwoofer 3.5 mm output.

Also in specs of MCD290 its written that Amplifier's range is NOT below 60Hz.

Any help is really really appreciated as I am not able to enjoy music properly (Movie channels and normal hindi tv channel are giving a very pleasant Theatre like experience, but at high volume).

Hi,

The only control on the SW-012 is the volume, it has neither phase control nor frequency adjustment.

Have you tried replacing/swapping the RCA cable between the Philips MCD & YST-SW012.

Thanks,
Rajiv

Hi,

The only control on the SW-012 is the volume, it has neither phase control nor frequency adjustment.

Have you tried replacing/swapping the RCA cable between the Philips MCD & YST-SW012.

Thanks,
Rajiv

No, but my subwoofer is new, just 3 days, I am using the
RCA cable that came with my sub.
Do you think whatever I am experiencing is normal or is there any problem with my sub. I am new to the world of subwoofer/bass etc... .... ...
Should I purchase a new receiver( my philips MCD290 is 6-7 years old. ) ?

Also once I had connected my Mobile's 3.5mm output "DIRECTLY" TO SUB via 3.5mm to RCA cable. Is this harmful to the subwoofer?

Do you know some good site which explains in brief about gain, voltage/current gain, line in/out voltage, pre-amp etc.... I want to know more.

Thank you rajiv :)
(Ashish Ranade)

No, but my subwoofer is new, just 3 days, I am using the
RCA cable that came with my sub.
Do you think whatever I am experiencing is normal or is there any problem with my sub. I am new to the world of subwoofer/bass etc... .... ...
Should I purchase a new receiver( my philips MCD290 is 6-7 years old. ) ?

Also once I had connected my Mobile's 3.5mm output "DIRECTLY" TO SUB via 3.5mm to RCA cable. Is this harmful to the subwoofer?

Thank you rajiv :)
(Ashish Ranade)

Hi Ashish,

At this point in time, there is no reference to state what it is a good or acceptable performance in your case. The sub-woofer is designed to produce only low frequency sounds. I checked the philips manual and there is no option to increase the level of the Sub-woofer.

You mentioned that you connected it to your TV , how was it connected ?
Ideally subwoofer is to be connected to the Sub-Out or speaker out terminal depending on the connection option. In your case recommended to be connected to Sub-out.

Keep the volume to about half or slightly less than half on the Sub-woofer.
Swap the RC cable, sometimes cables may be bad or damaged.
If you have a receiver with Sub-out or if any of your friends have one, try connecting to that and see if you get a better response.

Play some bass intensive songs on your Philips MCD and check.

In regard to the site to learn, nothing better than hifivision :)

All the best!

BR,
Rajiv

Hi Ashish,

At this point in time, there is no reference to state what it is a good or acceptable performance in your case. The sub-woofer is designed to produce only low frequency sounds. I checked the philips manual and there is no option to increase the level of the Sub-woofer.

You mentioned that you connected it to your TV , how was it connected ?
Ideally subwoofer is to be connected to the Sub-Out or speaker out terminal depending on the connection option. In your case recommended to be connected to Sub-out.

Keep the volume to about half or slightly less than half on the Sub-woofer.
Swap the RC cable, sometimes cables may be bad or damaged.
If you have a receiver with Sub-out or if any of your friends have one, try connecting to that and see if you get a better response.

Play some bass intensive songs on your Philips MCD and check.

In regard to the site to learn, nothing better than hifivision :)

All the best!

BR,
Rajiv

Hi

My connection --->>
TV is connected to Set top box. The set top box has 2 RCA OUT ports for Audio (Red & White i.e L/R-Left & right channel). I have connected my Philips MCD290 's AUX-IN to audio RCA OUT of STB. The "Subwoofer Out" labelled port of MCD290 is connected to YST-SW012 subwoofer.

I will also check with DVD player from my neighbour. My neighbour has a sony HT system but checking on another music sys/receiver is not possible for me as my friends don't have a music sys.

I have one question ( regarding bass )
1) The dialogues in movie and the words sung by singer in a song, DO both appear at same bass level/bass response? ... ... I mean to say --> consider the word "yes" , the normal TV will produce the sound as Very plain "yes", when sub is connected it will sound much more DEEP i.e "yeehhhhhssshhh". ... ... ... When I connected my sub (I had connected my sub correctly by referring to the manual 5-6 times) the VERY FIRST time and I had played REFUGEE movie FLAC songs via my mobile(3.5 mm to RCA cable), it did NOT give me the sense that Sub was connected, sound produced by sub was low, and the words sung were appearing plain.

Currently what is happening is the VOCALS in a song are NOT appearing deep/rich BUT the sounds of various instruments like drums/beats etc. are appearing very nice/rich/forceful i.e it is giving a sense that SUB is Connected. Does this happen with your system also? i.e the words sung in song appear less bassful than those in the dialogues of movie?

2) Once I had connected my sub ""DIRECTLY"" to mobile via RCA to 3.5 mm cable, WILL this damage the Input circuit of the Subwoofer or will it damage my mobile? (... .. I was trying different things to get a satisfactory sound from sub while songs are played specially vocals in song/singer's voice)

:)

Hi

I have one question ( regarding bass )
1) The dialogues in movie and the words sung by singer in a song, DO both appear at same bass level/bass response? ... ... I mean to say --> consider the word "yes" , the normal TV will produce the sound as Very plain "yes", when sub is connected it will sound much more DEEP i.e "yeehhhhhssshhh". ... ... ... When I connected my sub (I had connected my sub correctly by referring to the manual 5-6 times) the VERY FIRST time and I had played REFUGEE movie FLAC songs via my mobile(3.5 mm to RCA cable), it did NOT give me the sense that Sub was connected, sound produced by sub was low, and the words sung were appearing plain.

Currently what is happening is the VOCALS in a song are NOT appearing deep/rich BUT the sounds of various instruments like drums/beats etc. are appearing very nice/rich/forceful i.e it is giving a sense that SUB is Connected. Does this happen with your system also? i.e the words sung in song appear less bassful than those in the dialogues of movie?

Adding a sub-woofer does not mean you would hear DEEP pitches in dialogues, Sub-woofer is meant to enhance low frequency notes found in drums/bass guitar/Organ etc, or rumbling sound when watching movies (say English Sci-Fi or action).

2) Once I had connected my sub ""DIRECTLY"" to mobile via RCA to 3.5 mm cable, WILL this damage the Input circuit of the Subwoofer or will it damage my mobile? (... .. I was trying different things to get a satisfactory sound from sub while songs are played specially vocals in song/singer's voice)

Since it is an amplified SUB, it will not get damaged nor would it damage the mobile. However when a passive sub-woofer is connected to another amplifier with mis-matched impedances (opposite of resistance), it can cause amplifiers to heat up or burn out.

In your case I think the sub-woofer is working as per it's design. If you expect deep voices in Songs/dialogues, then I'm afraid that is not something which you may get. However you'd get enhancement when listening to songs with LFE(Low Frequency Effects). Since the source is 2.0 Channel( TV), bass effects may not be pronounced. If your Philips can play DVDs or VCDs, try playing some movies and you'd feel the difference of having a sub.

Hope this helps.

BR
Rajiv

Adding a sub-woofer does not mean you would hear DEEP pitches in dialogues, Sub-woofer is meant to enhance low frequency notes found in drums/bass guitar/Organ etc, or rumbling sound when watching movies (say English Sci-Fi or action).

Since it is an amplified SUB, it will not get damaged nor would it damage the mobile. However when a passive sub-woofer is connected to another amplifier with mis-matched impedances (opposite of resistance), it can cause amplifiers to heat up or burn out.

In your case I think the sub-woofer is working as per it's design. If you expect deep voices in Songs/dialogues, then I'm afraid that is not something which you may get. However you'd get enhancement when listening to songs with LFE(Low Frequency Effects). Since the source is 2.0 Channel( TV), bass effects may not be pronounced. If your Philips can play DVDs or VCDs, try playing some movies and you'd feel the difference of having a sub.

Hope this helps.

BR
Rajiv
Hi,

1) I played some songs via mobile on my neighbour's sony home theatre. It sounded better than mine setup(Yamaha sub, Philips 2 speakers 15 W RMS each). it sounded better/pleasing because my neighbour's speakers are 150W RMS. Do you think that more RMS watts produce more good sound at same volume levels? Am I right? ... Should I buy standalone/amplified speaker of around 100W RMS? Which speakers(model and brand) will you suggest? ... ... My main use is for music(bollywood, indipop).

2) Also I made a change in the setup. I bought a Stereo splitter/duplicator. It is used so that 2 people can use the earphones at the same time by connecting to mobile/3.5mm audio output. Now I have connected Set-top Box's audio output (via RCA to 3.5mm stereo cable) to the input of stereo splitter plug. Stereo splitter plug/adapter has 2 stereo outputs. One stereo output, I have connected to my philips stereo input(via 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable, ... both left and right channels to their respective ports) ... .... And the 2nd output I have connected to the input of the subwoofer( ... Via 3.5mm stereo to RCA cable... BUT SINCE THE SUB HAS ONLY 1 INPUT, I HAVE CONNECTED THE LEFT CHANNEL TO THE INPUT OF THE SUB. )

3 )Now my question is, will the above setup be SAFE? You have already said that since its an amplified sub, the sub will not get damaged, but still i am asking again because this time I have connected the Set-Top Box's audio output DIRECTLY TO THE subwoofer.

4) Since I have DIRECTLY given the audio input to the sub (i.e. Not via the "subwoofer out" port of my philips), my subwoofer MUST BE receiving ALL audio freq(20hz To 20 khz) Is this safe for the SUB? ... I am asking because the subwoofer is designed to operate for low range audio freq. .... ... Or every subwoofer has a low pass filter which will remove out the freq for which its not designed to amplify... (I will also clarify one point that i don't hear any vocal/dialogues sounds out of the subwoofer with my current setup as I mentioned in the point no. 2 ... The vocal/dialogues are coming out of the philips 15W RMS speakers. ) ... Am I right? ... So I think it is filtering/removing the higher freq and using only low freq to amplify. Am I right?

I am using the above setup from last 10 days.
Now I can also hear drum sounds/beats/thuuup-thuup-thuuup clearly during advertisements also.

I think the problem is with the philips "Subwoofer out" port, as you said previously, the voltage level must be less, hence my yamaha sub is not able to produce sound at proper hearing levels. OR "subwoofer out" port of my philips is not sending out the bass freq. properly.

Now I am enjoying the overall sound. Its now good.

5) Also Thanks for clarifying my doubt/understanding about bass. (that is bass is related to low freq sounds found in drums/beats etc... Sometimes in songs I also hear sounds like baaaaaaaam... Baaaaaaamm or wooohhhhoom)

Thanks for helping me and wish you a very happy Diwali! :) :)

hi everyone, I came across this thread since I was looking for an active sub. I was wondering if this would be a good addition to my system. I have a Marantz SR 5200 with Polk TSX 330. Or would you have any other suggestions in the same price bracket. I primarily listen to Rock, Blues Rock and Jazz. My room is about 10ft x 20ft. Am looking for a bit more bass output. Looking forward to your suggestions.

asrathfv sorry for changing the topic a bit, I did not want to start a new thread.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back