Low volume when using phone via 3,5mm to speakers

johnniz

Hi.

I am a total noob when it comes to Hi-Fi. I got my first set of active entry level hi fi speakers today. They are replacing an old 2.1 cheapo "gamer" sound system. There is a world of difference. but somehow it does not play really loud. I might be expecting too much out of them, but the volume (at max) is noticeably louder when I connect my phone via 3,5mm stereo jack to designated input (also mini aux), than when I use my laptop. Is this entirely relying on the sound card of the device? I thought it would draw all the power from the onboard amplifier.

the combined power is 40W RMS and I am using them in a small living room 100 square feet. Will upgrading to bigger speakers in the same range (100w RMS) also help with the slightly low volume using a smart phone? or do I need to get an additional amplifier or receiver?

May be not with active speakers but I have experienced similar problem with using different ear plugs from the same company with different mobile models (also of the same company) where the one which comes in the box of the phone has optimum volume but when I tried to use the ear plugs of the previous phone from same company the volume was low. Probably it appears to me a more of a impedance mismatch between the 3.5 mm out socket and the Aux in of the Active speakers or even the cable connecting. So try with a different cable first and then if possible with another smartphone. Also it might be the case that the minimum input signal amplitude / voltage required for the Aux-in to provide optimum volume is not met by the phone which may also end in a similar situation.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back